PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Judge Nelson denies stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Followup, per Schefter:

Judge ordered NFL to start its league year immediately, but said no team is obligated to sign free agents. Trades in question.

Twitter

Owners betting everything on the robes in St. Louis now. Basically the nuclear option.

I don't see a pretty end to all this.

It was obvious Nelson was going to hand down this decision today. You cannot argue in any way that she isn't pro-players now.

I just want to see football.

Last edited:
heh..well, it had an ugly beginning months ago...and the face on this judge could stop an atomic clock...so yeah,I agree...the ugly end is near...

lol, free agency and the draft on the same day. I say the owners just say that signings can't start until 6:00 pm and then we watch insanity ensue.

It was obvious Nelson was going to hand down this decision today. You cannot argue in any way that she isn't pro-players now.

I just want to see football.

Sure you can. This is going precisely as was generally predicted from the beginning, even though it's not Doty making the rulings. The only hope the league has ever had is a circuit court that's absolutely stacked with pro-owner judges. Precedent will kill the league under any other circumstances. If they can sway the Circuit, they'll have to hope the Supreme Court doesn't take the case, because the owners will most likely lose there, too.

Last edited:
This is amazing timing....tomorrow will be fahkin awesome. :D

Sure you can. This is going precisely as was generally predicted from the beginning, even though it's not Doty making the rulings. The only hope the league has ever had is a circuit court that's absolutely stacked with pro-owner judges. Precedent will kill the league under any other circumstances. If they can sway the Circuit, they'll have to hope the Supreme Court doesn't take the case, because the owners will most likely lose there, too.

Well, I agree that this will be the case if they see things as you do.

If they think that it is reasonable to conclude that the lawsuits pending before the court arose out of a labor negotiation, then it is just barely possible that they may rule differently. We'll see.

Personally I don't care who wins as I can see fault on both sides of the fence, I just want football. This should never have gone to the courts and should have been arbitrated independently.

Both parties are as stupid as each other.

Well, I agree that this will be the case if they see things as you do.

If they think that it is reasonable to conclude that the lawsuits pending before the court arose out of a labor negotiation, then it is just barely possible that they may rule differently. We'll see.

It's not about how I see it, in the sense you're aiming at. I'm not posting this procedural stuff based upon any position or preference. It's just that it's plain to see the league strategy, and it's plain to see where they would have to have been looking for the sympathetic rulings they wanted. The league staked its hopes on 2 things. One was the NLRB. That's gone, unless that pro-owner 8th circuit reverses on appeal. The other is the 8th circuit overturning the district court on the stay and on the merits of the case itself, when the time comes. In either case, now, it comes down to the 8th as expected, which is what I noted.

Last edited:
Given the onset of chaos I look for a few poorly managed franchises to do some more stupid than usual things in the draft tomorrow. The Pats, I'm confident, were prepared for this and have firewalled the labor issue from the draft. A few gonzo teams, not so much. Look for a couple stupid picks and a couple guys falling to the Pats or a trade value just too good to pass up. This chaos and uncertainty about the future might cause some teams to devalue future years' picks too much and present exceptional value to a team trading down.

of course,this could all end up an exercise in futility...draft players you can't practice,waste picks on players you may be able to just buy if this whole mess ends up a free-for all...the uncertainty is infuriating to a long time fan of a game and a league that wasn't broke, now infested with lawyers and Judge Judy clones...

I have no idea how that is going to effect the way teams will conduct the draft tomorrow.
Will a team who is thinking of trading up for a player still be willing to do that not knowing what the player will be getting and for how long they will be able to sign the player?

There have been rumors all week of the patriots maybe trading up with Dallas or Washington. Will they be willing to do that now?

What a mess!

Funny hearing some owners blaiming the players for the lockout, then it gets lifted and they want a stay for the lockout to continue.

I have no idea how that is going to effect the way teams will conduct the draft tomorrow.
Will a team who is thinking of trading up for a player still be willing to do that not knowing what the player will be getting and for how long they will be able to sign the player?

There have been rumors all week of the patriots maybe trading up with Dallas or Washington. Will they be willing to do that now?

What a mess!

Why not?

The Pats know that it's in their best interests to proceed as if roughly the same rules are in play going forward. To NOT do so is to self forgo your opportunity. Nothing of certain value is gained by not doing what you normally perceive as your interest. The teams that are confused and panic will create opportunities for the cooler heads in a crisis. Unlike you and I, BB Kraft et. al. have thought through all the eventualities. And yes, maybe some teams that would have been willing to trade with the Pats might stand pat.

Why not?

The Pats know that it's in their best interests to proceed as if roughly the same rules are in play going forward. To NOT do so is to self forgo your opportunity. Nothing of certain value is gained by not doing what you normally perceive as your interest. The teams that are confused and panic will create opportunities for the cooler heads in a crisis. Unlike you and I, BB Kraft et. al. have thought through all the eventualities. And yes, maybe some teams that would have been willing to trade with the Pats might stand pat.

True. However if they move up to get Cam Jordon, they may find out that they can only sign him for 3 or 4 years rather than the normal 5- 6 years.

Are they going to want to invest top 10 $ only to have the player be an URFA after 3 years? Maybe they have the whole thing figured out. I know I don't right now.

I still say go after the player that you want but it's not my $. I do know that I have an early tee time tomorrow, so I'm going to try to sleep on this.

Last edited:
yeah PWP, it's not the Pats I'm worried about...it's the game itself...we may have seen the last of the greatest sports entertainment that has flourished since the merger.If this league turns into four or five Yankees and the rest KC Royals then NFL football as we all know it is dead. That would be tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes