PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Judge Doty chimes in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure that one-liner will help Brady at all. IANAL, but it seems that will HURT Brady's case.

In Brady's case the NFL is basing EVERYTHING on the CBA.

Not sure that one-liner will help Brady at all. IANAL, but it seems that will HURT Brady's case.

Yes and no. I'd say the NFL is basing everything on Article 8 of the NFL Bylaws and Article 46 of the CBA, while deliberately ignoring the rest.

I need to hear Steph Stradley's take on this.

OK maybe I'm just a little slow today but I'm confused as to how this hurts Brady? To me it sounded more anti goddell....

He understands that Article 46 means the CBA doesn't matter, because Article 46 makes him God-Emperor of Football.

"all I ask is that you admit guilt, admit that the wells report was 100% correct, and declare fealty to me, and for that I will allow you to sit out only two games, for I am a generous god"
xerxes300sequel_1331935773.jpg

Yes and no. I'd say the NFL is basing everything on Article 8 of the NFL Bylaws and Article 46 of the CBA, while deliberately ignoring the rest.

I don't know BFTW, I don't see your angle on this. Doty seems to be saying, reading between the lines, 'Goodell doesn't seem to understand he is bound by rules and laws' (that is including his behavior on Deflategate) At least that's my take on it...

Strong words by Doty. It will be interesting to see if Berman points to them.

OK maybe I'm just a little slow today but I'm confused as to how this hurts Brady? To me it sounded more anti goddell....

Emotionally it is anti Goodell. And it is very anti-Goodell in the PETERSON case.

But this is a court of law, not a popularity contest.

In the Peterson case the Judge is saying that Goodell isn't paying attention to the CBA.

In the Brady case, Goodell is basing his entire case - - not on right or wrong - - but on the strict interpretation of the CBA giving him full authority to arbitrate.

If anything, it looks as if Doty is giving Goodell's lawyers a platform in the Brady case. Doty is upholding the importance of the CBA. The crappy CBA abdication by the NFLPA regarding Stokoe's arbitration powers is what Brady is trying to fight AGAINST in front of Berman. That is Brady's obstacle, not platform.

I don't know BFTW, I don't see your angle on this. Doty seems to be saying, reading between the lines, 'Goodell doesn't seem to understand he is bound by rules and laws' (that is including his behavior on Deflategate) At least that's my take on it...

I agree with that take, sorry if I worded my original post weirdly. The NFL basically claims that Article 46 is the only part of the CBA that really matters. Judge Doty is pointing out that there's a whole lot more to the CBA that does matter, and Article 46 doesn't allow the NFL to pretend otherwise.

Hes saying that Goody doesn't understand the CBA and isn't a lawyer who in theory has training to understand the CBA.

Man, if we had got the case filed earlier in MN.

But that is really the entire dispute here. The CBA has seemingly contradictory interpretations, one saying Article 46 renders all other articles as "suggestions" whereas one is that even with Article 46, the "arbitrator" still needs to carefully consider all of the other collectively bargained rules and guidelines.

Hes saying that Goody doesn't understand the CBA and isn't a lawyer who in theory has training to understand the CBA.
I think this is in response to kessler's request to add Goodell in the contempt list
The NFLPA filed its motion in May against the NFL, the NFL Management Council and Commissioner Roger Goodell, whom Doty pointed out multiple times isn’t an attorney in questioning union counsel Jeffrey Kessler about who exactly should be held in contempt.

“I’m not sure the commissioner understands there is a CBA,” Doty said, citing quotes from Goodell in newspaper articles he has read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back