Welcome to PatsFans.com

Judge dismisses CIA leak trial juror

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070226/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cia_leak_trial

WASHINGTON - A federal judge avoided a potential mistrial in the CIA leak case Monday by dismissing a juror and sending the other 11 back to continue deliberating the fate of former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton said the juror had seen or read something over the weekend about Libby's trial.

"What she had exposure to obviously disqualifies her," the judge said.

He did not say what the juror had seen but characterized it as a misunderstanding. He has ordered jurors to avoid media coverage of the case.

Walton originally feared several jurors were tainted, raising the specter of a mistrial in the politically charged case. Libby is accused of lying and obstructing the investigation into the 2003 leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity.

2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yeah... rumor has it, the guy actually said "he's guilty"... and Alberto Gonzalez heard about it and had him tossed out, and ordered an immediate audit of his finances...

3. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Now the righties are gonna jump on you, and with good reason. You obviously weren't being serious, but you weren't exactly being funny either.

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

like i give a sh!t...

but then, wouldn't that be typical of them to dislike an impersonal post and attack the poster, personally? ...

5. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You didn't make a post about the issue, you made an off-the-wall hyperbole. There's nothing to say except for attacking the poster. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not attacking you, but I just want you to realize that you're posting inflamitory stuff for no reason.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i see... so by your logic here, any time someone offers a joke, they're open to personal attack because it must certainly be the only option... that's excellent... and good progress from the truce called just last week concerning personal attacks...

the man was removed from the jury because he caught negative information about the defendent on TV over the weekend... now, while my post is an exaggeration, it underscores the point... the government is prosecuting this clown, yet the "government's" boss is a Bush lap dog...

i wouldn't find myself guilty if i put myself on trial either...

7. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The judge is the one who dismissed the juror, not the government. And we don't know if it's because the juror saw negative or positive information, but we do know jurors aren't supposed to look at any outside information.

Also, as far as you not finding yourself guilty, Libby's guilt will be determined by the jury, not himself, and not the government.

What's wrong here, pray tell?

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

Blocked

Senseless Balderdash

:singing: :singing: :singing: :singing:

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Here's what I know, Pujo... Fitzgerald is enraged about it, and Libby's team is quite pleased:

The juror who was dismissed was the art curator who wouldn't wear red on Valentine's day. Wells is reportedly quite happy with the results, and we hear Mr. Fitzgerald came as close to losing that poker face as he has -- he was evidently quite pissed.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Yeah but it's Agenda Boy. No one really pays attention anyway. :D

11. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

In American trial courts, jurors are not allowed to view outside information about their case. Ten out of ten times, a juror who does will be dismissed. It simply doesn't work any other way. I'm sorry, but your anger is misplaced here. Not everything is a conspiracy.

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I'm aware of how the courts work....

But, you're ignoring the point that the defense is quite pleased there will be no new juror assigned... You're ignoring the obvious possibility of a mistrial looming...

It was a high-level power play that saved Karl Rove's ass, so forgive me if i'm quite skeptical of Scooter Libby's fate, which I've underscored since well before the trial began...

Regardless, what was important and undeniable to come out of this trial is the curtain being pulled back on how sinister and dishonest the OVP and the entire White House was to the American people before March of 03...

13. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Who cares who's pleased, as long as the court's action was fair, which it was.