PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Judge Berman Speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are implying that it is possibly, even likely that the judge is a Jets fan and therefore will not rule on the evidence but on the uniform?

i don't think so but, then again is goodell's behavior regarding the patriots an Jets rational?

Are the decisions made by Federal Judges primarily motivated by their politics or by the law?

Your view of that question will be the basis for your opinion to the outcome!

i don't think so but, then again is goodell's behavior regarding the patriots an Jets rational?
I think thats the point though. When you look at Kesslers commentary Goodell has no clue what he is doing.
The Patriots are the most accused so in Rogers world that means they are the most guilty, and he certainly lives by the guilty until proven innocent approach.
I would have to assume that a Federal court judges adherence to the law is much more likely than Goodell being competent in a matter like this or even truly understand what the CBA allows and doesn't.

Are the decisions made by Federal Judges primarily motivated by their politics or by the law?

Your view of that question will be the basis for your opinion to the outcome!

I don't think its that easy.
I think they are motivated by their interpretation of the law, and that interpretation is influenced or at least has correlation if not causation to their politics.

Intelligent honest people with different 'politic views' can interpret laws very differently without 'motivation'.

i didn't imply anything. I'm telling you that there are no absolutes in the law. I'm telling you that judges do crazy stupid things all the time. just watch the 6 o'clock news. is it possible that a judge would rule on something other than the facts of the case? in today's society you bet it is.

OK so you got that off your chest, but what does that have to do with the venue,or the implication made that Brady is in trouble because his trial is in Jetland?

I think thats the point though. When you look at Kesslers commentary Goodell has no clue what he is doing.
The Patriots are the most accused so in Rogers world that means they are the most guilty, and he certainly lives by the guilty until proven innocent approach.
I would have to assume that a Federal court judges adherence to the law is much more likely than Goodell being competent in a matter like this or even truly understand what the CBA allows and doesn't.

Let's hope so,plus he has been sympathetic to labor cases, which is the only power against an otherwise totalitarian system

Last edited:
That happens in most arbitration cases. Judges typically would much rather see a mutually-agreed to solution than one impose by the court.

I wouldn't take it as a positive or a negative thing. Just a thing.

Did you see Breer trying to make a story of it?

AlbertBreer
@AlbertBreer

Sports lawyer buddy of mine on Judge Berman's read on Brady: "Pushing a settlement down both sides’ throats does suggest to me that he’s read this dead on: Brady’s camp has a tenuous legal position if not is at least mildly (bleep-)ed; the NFL might be right by the letter of the law but they’ve overreached."

http://tmi.me/1f7iGf

http://tmi.me/1f7iGf
I'll be honest Deus, his structure is so bad, I'm not entirely sure what he's trying to say.

Is the NFL ****ed?
Is the NFLPA ****ed?
Is he ****ed because Belichick hates him now?

I wonder if his "lawyer friend" is one of the same "lawyer friends" Ben Volin has? You know who they are. They work at the firm of Google, Duckduckgo, and Bing.

So you are implying that it is possibly, even likely that the judge is a Jets fan and therefore will not rule on the evidence but on the uniform?
I didn't say it, but yes. It's possible for any human to have their perspective tainted by bias. Since judges are humans I would lump them in together.

I didn't say it, but yes. It's possible for any human to have their perspective tainted by bias. Since judges are humans I would lump them in together.
Fair enough. I disagree in this case because I believe a Federal judge would be above caring about what team a player plays for, but who knows.

Fair enough. I disagree in this case because I believe a Federal judge would be above caring about what team a player plays for, but who knows.

Now we have reached the level of suggesting that federal judges make decisions based on what sports teams they root for.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but a judge who makes a biased decision or decision not based in the law can have his/her decision overturned. you could equate that with a bad performance review conducted in public and judges don't like bad performance reviews. So yeah, like any person they can be biased but I agree that given the position, they would try hard not to be biased.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but a judge who makes a biased decision or decision not based in the law can have his/her decision overturned. you could equate that with a bad performance review conducted in public and judges don't like bad performance reviews. So yeah, like any person they can be biased but I agree that given the position, they would try hard not to be biased.
There are few things judges hate more than having their decisions overturned on appeal. Especially high-profile ones.

Here's a suggestion:
Some should hook up a go pro body camera to themselves n as this case windS thru the next month(s) we can all witness a poster having a stroke!

i volunteer. i just need a camera.

I'd guess that you're right, as that would be completely screwed--but in this world, who the hell really knows anymore? This whole thing has been crazy.

While I haven't quite stooped to the level of worrying about rooting interests, the thought has crossed my mind as to whether or not corruption/money could potentially be a factor; not necessarily because it's in NY, but because powerful people (and owners in general) can often help to influence things.

The way everything has gone for the past 6 months is starting to make me paranoid. I'm starting to wonder if the NFL, as a whole, isn't a whole lot more powerful than I had initially thought? In my head, I'm treating them like the Illuminati.

I think you make a solid point @Hoodie, but many judges tend to see things through a more conservative or more liberal type of lens. You hope that past rulings and current law supersede all else, but personal politics can often come into play when there's legal "gray area" involved.

In this case, the judge has proven to be more liberal, or at least that's the popular thought since Clinton appointed him. Due to that reasoning, it's believed that he's more "pro players/union." One concern could be that he may try to balance out that line of thinking by over correcting it on the other end, sort of like when a parent is the coach of their kids' baseball team and they don't play them enough because they're trying not to look biased. Of course, he may live up to his reputation just the same.

It's a shame this is what it's come to! We should start some kind of fantasy court room game or have a pool or something to pass the time.

I'll be honest Deus, his structure is so bad, I'm not entirely sure what he's trying to say.

Of course I could be wrong, but it sure seems as though Breer is rooting against the union, judging by his recent comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes