Welcome to PatsFans.com

Juan Williams FIRED: NPR Sacks Analyst Over Fox News Muslim Comments

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Oct 21, 2010.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +237 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

EDIT: Please merge or delete this post, I hadn't realized it was already posted

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

The left loves diverse opinions as long as they are the politically correct opinions.

3. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +151 / 20 / -17

I have a feeling Juan is not the only nervous person on a flight with Muslims.

4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

And the right claims to be for small govt yet spends like the Dems' and welcomes laws infringing on adults' lives.

btw, would you be ok with blankets statements toward Jews or Catholics?

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

You are confusing conservatives with republicans. On this board Bush and the republican congress was roundly criticized for their spending.

6. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +237 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Juan explains his comment in the same segment:

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

The right so loves diverse opinions they:

Would not allow signs at the Glenn Beck/Palin circle jerk...
    Almost ruined the Dixie Chicks for those 11 words they uttered..
    Had people arrested for wearing the wrong t-shirts at GWB events...
    And their newest deity Christine O'Donnell did not even know that speech was protected under the first amendment...

This is just the situational outrage of the day, brought to you by Huckabee and friends... lets all bash NPR and stop their funding, even though your family is getting gang raped on your front steps by the merchants of death(war profiteers...

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Probably not....but I also have a feeling that if he said, "I gotta admit, if I see a group of young black men with tattoos and earrings, I cross the street," or, "I'll tell ya, Bill, whenever I see three or four young blondes standing on a corner in short skirts and high heels I'm pretty sure they're whores," or, "I lock my car doors whenever I see a Hispanic youth walking towards my vehicle," there'd be a similar contract termination - and a whole lot more agreement with his firing, too.

Generalizations are a dangerous thing - they are especially dangerous in the hands of a media personality.

That being said, he did go on to explain himself rather admirably and I don't believe he should have been fired. It reminds me a bit of the whole Shirley Sherrod spectacle where only part of a comment was focused upon.

9. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +237 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

How about it? Reducing everything to targeted and edited sound bites to make some kind of sanctimonious stand that barely resembles the actual conversation is liable in my opinion. This sound bite will be the only thing some people will here and the only thing some people will report. Juan’s reputation has been needlessly but deliberately damaged and this bigot drum will no doubt be beat by disingenuous opportunists who could care less about anything other than their political agendas.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

Seriously now people, this is the Real World. This isn't New Utopia. Nothing the man said was either wrong, bigoted, or controversial. It's simply REALITY. That a man of Juan Williams standing could be fired for such remarks, is ludicrous. What a wussified, uber PC world we live in. BTW, what's NPR anyway?

Mrs P, while some thugs on the corner might not be criminals, or some blondes on the corner with mini-skirts and high heels might not be ho's (not till I'm done with them anyway :rocker:), one would simply be using a touch of reality, dabbling in with a little common sense, if they left themselves open to the possibility they may be. No one is saying that they are terrorists/criminals/whores/etc as much as they are saying they are more likely to be, than person X.

Let's be serious here. If you see these guys on one side of the street:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

And these people on the other:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which side of the street are you going to want to walk on? Now, this isn't to say that the appearance of any of these people is indicitive of what kind of person they truly are. They may all go to church on Sunday, and work in homeless shelters in their spare time. However, as a basic matter of being realistic, we all know which side of the street 99% of us would prefer to walk. There is nothing wrong with that. It's simply reality.

11. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If the war profiteers on the right are to blame, why hasn't Obama pulled all the troops out?

12. WhiteWesWelker88

WhiteWesWelker88 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

horse ****...... since when do Muslims get the benefit?:(

Islam is the devil:mad:

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 3 / -10

Muslims are better protected in America than Al Gore's Spotted Owls.

Shhhhh
    Muslims attacked us on 9/11 but don't mention it, maybe we can find a way to blame The Eskimos.

14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

Every time that this subject is brought up, the right brings out their ball washers saying it is ok what they do, and that is reflected in the mood of the country.. they whine about ACORN, NPR but ignore how the war profieers are smearing the good name of America on foreign soil, under our flag all the while making billions of dollars... as a nation we are desensitized to their atrocities, as no one really sees it and worse of all few understand and less really care..

If you have to ask, you will never understand the real power and politics of this country.. congress is just a mirage, the shot callers are all behind the scenes and they essentially control this country.. american by the corporation, for the corporation...

15. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you're such a master of the real power and politics, are you an elected official?

Obama is Commander in Chief... he can do whatever he wants. Your blind ignorance to that fact and constant fear of this "shadow enemy" of Republican boogeymen who are the root of all evil makes me hope you're an investor in Reynolds.

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Really, Harry? Are you sure it was Muslims that attacked us on 9/11? Every last one of them, right? Not terrorists but Muslims, right? Not even Muslim Terrorists - just plain Muslim.

You're right....these are some scary looking people, that's for sure. I hope Homeland Security questioned them all on 9/12 coz they sure are guilty -----of being Muslim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

Actually, I said "the right," not conservatives or Republicans. In some cases there certainly are differences, but I think the two are far more synonymous than you do.

There may have been people on this board on the right who roundly criticized spending during the prior administration, but in general there are far more people on the right who now claim they criticized spending during that time, and disliked Bush as a faux-conservative, than who were actually criticizing him and his ways while he was in office.

18. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

Yeah, and far more priests have attacked children, with their higher-ups then trying to cover it up.

I guess we should assume all Catholics are pedophiles.

Must be sad to live life longing for the days when America was supposedly a utopia, and only white Christian males were "protected" by the nation's laws and customs.

19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Before this thread gets totally derailed and spins off into yet another, "Muslim bad, WhiteMan good," bleat, bleat, bleat.....

It appears that Mr. Williams may have been traveling down the You'reOutaHere Road for some time. His remarks on the O'Reilly Show may have been the straw but apparently he's been riding that camel into the ground for awhile.

Williams' frequent appearances on "the largely conservative and often contentious prime-time talk shows of Fox News have long been a sore point with NPR News executives," the NPR website reported. Williams' title was recently changed from correspondent to analyst after he took clear-cut policy positions in TV appearances and in newspaper columns.

In February 2009, NPR asked that Williams stop being identified on "The O'Reilly Factor" as a "senior correspondent for NPR," even though that title was accurate at the time, The New York Times reported.

At the time, NPR ombudswoman Alicia C. Shepard called Williams a "lightning rod" because he "tends to speak one way on NPR and another on Fox." She told the Times that NPR received 378 listener e-mails in 2008 complaining about Williams.

NPR Fires Analyst Juan Williams for Saying Muslims Make Him Nervous

20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 3 / -10

Every so often your right about something, I should have said "Muslim Terrorists".

The people that picket funeral parlors when soldiers have died are Baptists nobody seems concerned with pointing out that fact.