PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Miller cut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't surprise me in the least. Every report that I've read from camp said that Miller was struggling. I wish him well in the future though, and hopefully he'll find a good situation for himself.

I know it was only one preseason game, but Baugher really impressed me. I want to the see if the kid can be consistent.

If he makes the team, wouldn't he be the first NFLE player to make the team out of training camp?

Last edited:
With Gostkowski and Baugher... damn, we suddenly got really young in the kicking department.

And that's a good thing. We're saving a lot of money not paying Vinatraitor and Miller. Baugher's not really a known quantity in this league yet though and it will be interesting to see if his punts are consistent.

Josh Miller did a great job punting for the Patriots, and I wish him the best as he moves on. I do wonder; however, if his whining helped push him out the door a bit quicker. I'm not saying that's why he got cut, just that it might have expedited things a bit.

And that's a good thing. We're saving a lot of money not paying Vinatraitor and Miller. Baugher's not really a known quantity in this league yet though and it will be interesting to see if his punts are consistent.

FWIW, though, Vinatraitor -> Gostkowski ($2M+) was a much better cost-saving move than Miller -> Baugher/Malone (~$500K).

Last edited:
FWIW, though, Vinatraitor -> Gostkowski ($2M+) was a much better cost-saving move than Miller -> Baugher/Malone (~$500K).

PatsCap.com has Miller's total cap figure at $1,126,720. Baugher's, if he makes the team, would be $285,000. Almost $1 million we're saving there for a younger player with a stronger leg.

Re: Josh Miller cut! Next?

The [old] King is Dead! Long live the [new] King!

Seeley was tasked by BB to rebuild the STs. the last two years coverage has fallen into the mid twenties. Pretty Poor for a Coach who believes in STs. They have went out and drafted, traded for and signed well known ST players. Willie Andrews, Dante Wesly and Mel Mitchell are but the most obvious examples.

The new broom has swept out Miller. Will it sweep out the only remaining old timer on ST? Will Larry be given the same opportunity to hook on with another club, as well ?:confused:

The Punt coverage fell because the Pats had to rely on Walter and Sauerbrun to finish the year. Miller was doing very well except for 2 games.

The Pats allowed 22.8 ypr on kicks, but opposing teams still only got the the 26.8 yard line because Gostkowski was averaging 66.2 yards per kick.

The best team last year was Tampa Bay in terms of yards allowed per return. They allowed 18.4 yards per kick return. However, the oppositions average starting field position was the 27.7. The second best team was Dallas with a 19.7 ypr allowed. They used 3 different kickers (Gramatica, Vanderjagt, and Suisham). The average starting field position for Dallas opponents was the 30 yard line.

Basically, I am saying that for the coverage units, you have to look at more than just where they supposedly finished in the rankings. Because the rankings don't tell the whole story.

PatsCap.com has Miller's total cap figure at $1,126,720. Baugher's, if he makes the team, would be $285,000. Almost $1 million we're saving there for a younger player with a stronger leg.

No. See that column "2007 Cap Hit if Cut After 6/1/2007"? It's $306,720. All we save is the difference between the $820,000 salary and the new kicker's rookie salary. And Miller will still be on the cap for 200,000 next eyar.

No. See that column "2007 Cap Hit if Cut After 6/1/2007"? It's 306,720. All we save is the difference between the 820,000 salary and the new kicker's rookie salary. And Miller will still be on the cap for 200,000 next eyar.

Yeah I noticed that shortly after I made my post. Two questions... why is it the 820,000 salary and not the 1,126,720? And can't we do things to lesson the cap hit by rolling it on to future seasons?

Exactly! Punters! You gotta love 'em. They actually think they're football players!

You must not remember Ken Walter. Having a good punter is essential. I'm not saying Miller is better than Baugher or Malone at this point in their careers, but don't downplay the position.

Yeah I noticed that shortly after I made my post. Two questions... why is it the 820,000 salary and not the 1,126,720? And can't we do things to lesson the cap hit by rolling it on to future seasons?

Miller's hit is rolled out into the future. He'll count 306K this year and 200K next year.

Here's the link: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/08/15/miller_frustrated_by_status/

He sounds more pissed that he had competition in camp rather than taking the challenge by the horns.

It's interesting to see BB go with the youngsters when he usually prefers vets. I like the idea of Cassel holding in case a FG attempt turns into a passing play. It may also allow for some fake FGs this year :rocker:

Thanks for the link, I also missed that one and was wondering about the winning part of the OP. After reading his comments, I don't see where he was complaining, just sounded resigned to his situation and was hoping for the best. I always enjoyed his radio and his kicks - best of luck to him.

I guess you'll have to find a new favorite player. I actually never liked a punter. It's hard to like a punter, but easy to hate one, especially ones named Ken Walter.

At least Josh Miller #8 jerseys will be $29.99 at the Pro Shop now!

Awesome!

You can find them right next to the #28 Corey Cillons and the #82 Dan Grahams...

Asante Samuel #22 will be on the clearance rack soon, too!

At least Josh Miller #8 jerseys will be $29.99 at the Pro Shop now!

Awesome!

You can find them right next to the #28 Corey Cillons and the #82 Dan Grahams...

Asante Samuel #22 will be on the clearance rack soon, too!
Buy one, then sew a "1" in front (or in back of) the 8 ---> Moss or Stallworth!

I have to admit that I did not see this one coming at all. Having watched Baugher and Malone boom two punts as touchbacks, I thought "Josh is safe". He was a breath of fresh air after the apocalypse that was Ken Walter.
(Drinks Kool Aid from bucket).
Yes, another good Belioli decision.

Felger will have him on today or tomorrow...at first he really tried to pan the team, but then more or less straightened out and said an early release might get him a job.

Time to start the Sign Brooks Barnard petition!

j/k

I have to admit that I did not see this one coming at all. Having watched Baugher and Malone boom two punts as touchbacks, I thought "Josh is safe". He was a breath of fresh air after the apocalypse that was Ken Walter.
(Drinks Kool Aid from bucket).
Yes, another good Belioli decision.
If you hadn't been more interested in German beer, when you were passing out at the NFL Europa games, you might have noticed how Danny was a pretty decent and consistent punter. Honestly, I don't know why that Lady Cat doesn't just buy a dog. :eat2:

Wow, I am kind of surprised. I thought Josh did a good job for us. I guess if we can win a SB with Walters we can win one without Miller.

Another cost saving move by the team. I do not like it one bit. I can only assume that Miller is hurt and couldn't perform up to his usual standards.

Another cost saving move by the team. I do not like it one bit. I can only assume that Miller is hurt and couldn't perform up to his usual standards.

Uh, or maybe, just maybe, Baugher is a diamond in the rough and is just flat-out a better punter than Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back