PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Miller cut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was cut early due more to his whining to the media than as a payback to a veteran.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/08/miller_cut_1.html

Wow. From one of the best in the league in 2005 to out of a job. I personally wouldn't say he got a fair chance of proving himself, but in BB we trust.

Damn, feels pretty out of left field to me, guess I just took it for granted that it wasn't Miller's job.

He did a great job for us. I wish they could keep him around solely b/c he gives hilarious interviews and seems like a pretty funny guy.

Last edited:
I think he was cut early due more to his whining to the media than as a payback to a veteran.

Do you happen to have a link to this alleged whining? I must've missed the media reports, as this is the first I've heard of it.

Re: Josh Miller cut! Next?

The [old] King is Dead! Long live the [new] King!

Seeley was tasked by BB to rebuild the STs. the last two years coverage has fallen into the mid twenties. Pretty Poor for a Coach who believes in STs. They have went out and drafted, traded for and signed well known ST players. Willie Andrews, Dante Wesly and Mel Mitchell are but the most obvious examples.

The new broom has swept out Miller. Will it sweep out the only remaining old timer on ST? Will Larry be given the same opportunity to hook on with another club, as well ?:confused:

Great. Now I can worry about another aspect of the Pats kicking game.

I got the Ken Walter shakes reading that.

:bricks:

I know that's right. I would like to say thanks Josh Miller for your good job of punting before you came we had the fellow mentioned above and I just hated when we did have to punt during that time. I wish you the very best I'm sure some organization will pick you up.

Best of luck, Miller. Would like to have seen Baugher do a little better with the touchbacks, but there's still plenty of time.

Re: Josh Miller cut! Next?

The [old] King is Dead! Long live the [new] King!

Seeley was tasked by BB to rebuild the STs. the last two years coverage has fallen into the mid twenties. Pretty Poor for a Coach who believes in STs. They have went out and drafted, traded for and signed well known ST players. Willie Andrews, Dante Wesly and Mel Mitchell are but the most obvious examples.

The new broom has swept out Miller. Will it sweep out the only remaining old timer on ST? Will Larry be given the same opportunity to hook on with another club, as well ?:confused:

Why would they cut Izzo? He was consistently excellent again last year.

He did a great job for us. I wish they could keep him around solely b/c he gives hilarious interviews and seems like a pretty funny guy.

Agree!

I was always comfortable with him out there. 2005 was a great year for him too... 22 punts inside the 20 with only 4 touchbacks. I remember thinking, after watching the 4th or 5th ball land dangerously close to the endzone only to doink backwards away from the goal line, that he had a near magical backspin. ...or an invisible rope tied to the friggin' ball.

Best of luck to him.

Not a shocker. This blow was coming for a while now. Miller did a great job for us before he got hurt, but he is a bit of a malcontent when things aren't going his way. He had a very public feud with Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh and he was mouthing off last week that he wasn't getting enough action.

I appreciate what he did while he was here, but it looks like he sealed his own fate.

"Thanks for calling, coach Mangini. Yeah, I'm available and I brought the photocopy of my playbook, as you asked."

"Excellent. Let's see it.
Hmm.
Third and short: Catch, step, kick.
Third and long: Catch, step, kick.
Behind the 50: Catch, step, kick.
Inside the 50: Catch, step, kick.
Fourth quarter: Catch, step, kick.
I see. Now I've got them."

This sucks, Miller was a great punter and an even better guy, I always enjoyed hearing him on the radio. Best of luck Josh.

Okay, I like Josh Miller and all, but we are talking PUNTERS here, right?

With a little practice and repetition, half the people on this board could punt in the NFL...

Unless you're a Ray Guy or a Rich Camarillo or a Reggie Roby, you're a dime a dozen.

"Thanks for calling, coach Mangini. Yeah, I'm available and I brought the photocopy of my playbook, as you asked."

"Excellent. Let's see it.
Hmm.
Third and short: Catch, step, kick.
Third and long: Catch, step, kick.
Behind the 50: Catch, step, kick.
Inside the 50: Catch, step, kick.
Fourth quarter: Catch, step, kick.
I see. Now I've got them."

Exactly! Punters! You gotta love 'em. They actually think they're football players!

How about Todd Sauerbratten? He even works out, fahchrissakes!

Do you happen to have a link to this alleged whining? I must've missed the media reports, as this is the first I've heard of it.

Here's the link: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/08/15/miller_frustrated_by_status/

He sounds more pissed that he had competition in camp rather than taking the challenge by the horns.

It's interesting to see BB go with the youngsters when he usually prefers vets. I like the idea of Cassel holding in case a FG attempt turns into a passing play. It may also allow for some fake FGs this year :rocker:

Last edited:
With Gostkowski and Baugher... damn, we suddenly got really young in the kicking department.

This sucks, Miller was a great punter and an even better guy, I always enjoyed hearing him on the radio. Best of luck Josh.

I guess you'll have to find a new favorite player. I actually never liked a punter. It's hard to like a punter, but easy to hate one, especially ones named Ken Walter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back