PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Miller cut!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/08/miller_cut_1.html

August 16, 2007
Miller cut
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

The Patriots will have a new punter in 2007.

The team cut punter Josh Miller today, leaving just youngsters Danny Baugher and Tom Malone in a battle for the job.

"He enjoyed his time in New England and it was great to win a championship," said Glenn Schwartzman, Miller's agent. "We're appreciative of the chance to get on the market a bit early and find Josh a new home."

The 37-year-old Miller was entering his fourth season with the Patriots. He was limited to 10 games in 2006, and landed on injured reserve due to his shoulder.

Miller was also the team's primary holder on field goals, a chore that likely will fall to backup quarterback Matt Cassel. Both Baugher and Malone also can hold.

Baugher and Malone spent time on the Patriots' practice squad last year, and both punted in NFL Europa. Baugher would have to be considered the favorite at this time, although the gap is not significant enough that it couldn't be closed through the rest of the preseason.

Financial considerations could also be a factor in the Patriots' move. Baugher and Malone each have a base salary of $285,000, while Miller was making $820,000.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 12:58:01 PM

Wow. From one of the best in the league in 2005 to out of a job. I personally wouldn't say he got a fair chance of proving himself, but in BB we trust.

Per Reiss. Wow.

PWNED!

You knew it was coming from the lack of practice reps to the absence in the first preseason game to the whining in the papers about it all.

Anyway, he did well here. Wish him the best.

Last edited:
An early decision to get him into another camp. Welcome Danny Baugher.

Congrats to Baugher...probably.

Kudos to Erik "the toe" Scalavino (for the early prediction).

Last edited:
Congrats to Baugher...probably.

Just another case of not keeping a player for sentimental reasons. By cutting him early, it gives him the opportunity to latch on with another team (as Miller's agent alluded to).

What's interesting is that the Pats probably now will have one of, if not the youngest kicking teams in the league with a rookie punter and a second year placekicker.

I've been hoping for a younger leg - good of them to let Miller go nice and early.

He should have seen this coming long before camp...remember when they fought to keep Sauerbrun a couple months back? Miller? Anyone? That should have sent a clear "start asking around the league" signal to his agent...

I think it was the right way to go if they wanted to get younger at the position. Between Sauerbrun and the other moves, you could tell they just didn't think Miller was a safe bet any more due to age I guess.

At least he gets a chance early enough in camp to fight for a spot on some other teams. Thanks Josh for a good couple of years, and some good radio to boot.

Which reminds me, what's the over-under for how long it will take Felger to insinuate this all started downhill when Miller started appearing on his show? Such the conspriacy nut.

An early decision to get him into another camp. Welcome Danny Baugher.

As I'm pretty sure I said on another thread a few weeks ago, sometimes it seems like BB will cut a veteran early to do him the favor of making it on another team.

Seems like its his way of rewarding hard working veterans even when he can't find a place for them on the team.

While BB's running a small risk by taking a chance on the young guys, given the fact that there are only 32 spots for punters in the nfl and a lot of punters out there unsigned, one can usually find a few guys to bring in mid season if a rookie hits a wall

Hopefully, Baugher will get better at his directional kicking and putting the ball inside the 20. As I stated in another thread, the Pats punt coverage was friggin AMAZING last year with Miller punting except the Buffalo and Minnesota games (the two games that Mike Wright wasn't on the punt coverage unit). Through the 1st 5 games, the Pats punted 22 times allowing 8 returns for 27 yards. The 6th and 7th games weren't so great because of the TD allowed to Minnesota's Mewelde Moore and the yardage allowed to Buffalo. But the last 3 games Miller kicked, he was damn good as well. 11 punts, 4 returns for 21 yards.

Cassell should be the holder.

While BB's running a small risk by taking a chance on the young guys, given the fact that there are only 32 spots for punters in the nfl and a lot of punters out there unsigned, one can usually find a few guys to bring in mid season if a rookie hits a wall
I got the Ken Walter shakes reading that.

:bricks:

He'll catch on with someone else assuming he's fully recovered from his shoulder injury. Who is punting for the Jets these days?

He should have seen this coming long before camp...remember when they fought to keep Sauerbrun a couple months back? Miller? Anyone? That should have sent a clear "start asking around the league" signal to his agent...

Why should it have sent a clear message? Miller was returning from injury and the Pats didn't know what his status would be so they wanted to keep Sauerbrun as an insurance policy.

He'll catch on with someone else assuming he's fully recovered from his shoulder injury. Who is punting for the Jets these days?

Ben Graham, the 34-year old ex-Australian Rules kicker. Was pretty good in his second season last year.

Ben Graham, the 34-year old ex-Australian Rules kicker. Was pretty good in his second season last year.

In their opener they'll need a good punter...frequently.

Good luck to you Josh! Thank you for everything you contributed to the team.

Surprised to see this move, but cutting him early gives him ample time to sign on with another club.

I like this move. Obviously they must think highly of Baugher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes