PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceresco

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Called a great game today.

No argument here. The offense was working like a machine today. Glad to see Doug Gabriel is online, and extremely glad to see Reche is okay

That reverse was perfect.

We'll see. It's a work in progress.

Our receivers are different, (non smurfs) and different routes are called for.

Let's give him credit, since I dump on him not knowing what I'm talking about.:D

My key of the game, bend don't break in 1st half. Totally outplayed in the 1st half but up by a point. That allowed us to establish the run.

Makes me wonder if my complaints about playcalling the last few weeks were more about execution. The offense just executed nearly perfectly all day.

The playcalling was good today. I agree the offensive problems were more about execution and lack of familiarity than poor play calling.

NEM said relying on the run wouldn't work. I wonder what he has to say about the biggest team running output in 13 years!

BradyManny2344 said:
Makes me wonder if my complaints about playcalling the last few weeks were more about execution. The offense just executed nearly perfectly all day.

When you run for less than 50 yards your finished. All the crap everyone complained about was because Denver had 8 guys in the box because they knew we were not ready to beat it.

I've been posting here since 2001 and I've said the last 4 or 5 years that what we see by game 6 is the team...everything before that is an extension of camp and exhibition season.

Of course seeing Jackson and Gabriel out there doesn't hurt at all.

I was thinking during the game that Mcdaniel opened up the playbook...possibly because of Brady's post game chat with Pioli?

Way to go Pats, and good job Mcdaniel on the playcalling today.

F.B.N. said:
I've been posting here since 2001 and I've said the last 4 or 5 years that what we see by game 6 is the team...everything before that is an extension of camp and exhibition season.

Of course seeing Jackson and Gabriel out there doesn't hurt at all.

No doubt, right on with both points. I'd take it even further and say we won't really know how good this team is until week 10. Rookie wideouts take a while to make an impact, so CJ won't be a big contributor until later. Plus, I think Ghost is going to get more and more comfortable. He was clearly rattled when he took that 48 yd field goal, it was nice to see him have an opportunity to get a chipshot later in the game and just get some confidence back.

Not to mention the fact, Ghost's huge leg on the kickoffs has already been HUGE, IMO.

They really limited CJ's role today. Obviously, they are just breaking him in. I can't remember if I said it in this thread or another, but I noticed he was on the field for two of their larger pass plays, in both cases, the play went in the other direction and a man was open.

Last edited:
zippo59 said:
The playcalling was good today. I agree the offensive problems were more about execution and lack of familiarity than poor play calling.

NEM said relying on the run wouldn't work. I wonder what he has to say about the biggest team running output in 13 years!

He'll say the same thing he said through 3 Superbowl runs and back to back 14-2 seasons and 21 in a row...winning doesn't effect NEM's philosophy.

:blahblah: stupid OC :blahblah:

Yes yes but we must give the devil his due. If NEM were running the show, the Patriots would have scored at least 138 points today.

Alk said:
Yes yes but we must give the devil his due. If NEM were running the show, the Patriots would have scored at least 138 points today.

:agree: :rofl:

FloridaPatsFan said:
I was thinking during the game that Mcdaniel opened up the playbook...possibly because of Brady's post game chat with Pioli?

Way to go Pats, and good job Mcdaniel on the playcalling today.

Or it could be as Brady told the broadcast crew in their pre game meeting because Doug Gabriel finally got to practice all week. Playcalling is seldom the real issue with this team - it's all about execution. And it's tough to execute at a high level with consistency when you are working largely with rookies and guys who have been injured and guys who took the red eye to join the team in week 1...

we all know cincy has a poor run defense and that's why the pats shredded them. pittsburg did it the week before. i'm sure the pats can shred indy also. i think they had difficulty last week against denver is because the denver lb's are so quick, plus the pats realistically has no wr threat. we did see gabriel start making some pays at the end of the denver game and it continued today which is a good sign.

the pats will need to figure out how to move the ball when the run gets shut down again, but today they're riding high.

let's not get too high, not too low. it would have been nice to get a turnover in the first half, but at least they got two critical one and got points off of them.

MrBigglesWorth said:
let's not get too high, not too low. it would have been nice to get a turnover in the first half, but at least they got two critical one and got points off of them.

Hey. Don't be a buzzkill. This game was a sweet, sweet victory.

20 bucks says Rodney screamed "Nobody ever believed in us!!!" walking into the locker room after the game.

BradyManny2344 said:
Hey. Don't be a buzzkill. This game was a sweet, sweet victory.

20 bucks says Rodney screamed "Nobody ever believed in us!!!" walking into the locker room after the game.
good point, enjoy it all night and tomorrow start preparing for miami

BradyManny2344 said:
Not to mention the fact, Ghost's huge leg on the kickoffs has already been HUGE, IMO..

A great stat by years end will be this. Compared to 2005 the percentage of time teams started inside the 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 last year and this year.

One thing about vinateiri...and I posted on it several times. What good is a clutch kicker when your defending your goal all the time starting from their 35 or 40 yard line. Too many times teams merely had to go 30 or 40 yards only to kick a FG.

RayClay said:
We'll see. It's a work in progress.

Our receivers are different, (non smurfs) and different routes are called for.

Let's give him credit, since I dump on him not knowing what I'm talking about.:D

My key of the game, bend don't break in 1st half. Totally outplayed in the 1st half but up by a point. That allowed us to establish the run.

Yes, I agree.

When Cinci went up 6-0 on the second FG, my impression was the Pats had an excellent chance in the game, all they had to do was put some points on the board.

While Cincinatti displayed some confidence in the early going, it was apparent they weren't going to push us all over the field. In fact, I wondered if they were going to have much success pushing their way into Patriot territory at all. Those field goals represented stalled drives, and that's the stuff of momentum.

The Pats came out fired up and obviously wanted to play football.

In the past, that's usually been the formula for success.

F.B.N. said:
A great stat by years end will be this. Compared to 2005 the percentage of time teams started inside the 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 last year and this year.

One thing about vinateiri...and I posted on it several times. What good is a clutch kicker when your defending your goal all the time starting from their 35 or 40 yard line. Too many times teams merely had to go 30 or 40 yards only to kick a FG.
For the answer to that question, ask Tony Dungy how he liked their field position today. That was a clear example of why Gostkowski won the job over Martin. And maybe why older kickers become a liability -- they have to sit out too many games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back