PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels will likely become a HC next season - Norv Turner a good replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Josh McDaniels will likely become a HC next season - Norv Turner a good replacem

I think Mangini coming back to earth with a thud and struggles by Cam Cameron and Lane Kiffin teams are going to be looking for a little more seasoning in their coaches.

Re: Josh McDaniels will likely become a HC next season - Norv Turner a good replacem

Huh???? I think Josh is smarter than that...in time HE WILL leave not now..

Totally agree. McDaniels is an idiot if he leaves. He needs another year or two of seasoning.

I think theres virtually no chance Josh remains with this team next season,The way the offense is simply toying with its competition all season is putting Josh high up on other teams looking for a new HC next season.

While I think Josh is an o.k. OC and in reality a product of the talented players he has to work with,He still will probably be top dog on the list for teams wanting to change thier fortunes next year like St. Louis,Washington,San Diego,Houston and even possibly Miami if Huizenga gets embarrassed with an 0-16 campaign but I think he will probably keep Cam around for another season so I think there still are several teams wanting to take Josh away like those I mentioned.

I think San Diego will definately fire Norv shortly after this campaign unless the Chargers somehow find a way to get serious in/if they make the playoffs.

That leaves the chance that Josh may end up in San Diego and Norv would be available for a position in the NFL,If Norv does become available and Josh leaves would it be a good move to get Norv as OC?

Norv has been a horrid HC but a very good OC

Should this scenerio happen,Would you want Norv in charge of this offense?

Oh brother..... The players on the field might have something to do with why we are so good.

Last edited:

I think the fact that Belichick WANTS his assistants not to be held back but STILL wisely told Mangini he should wait one more year and/or for a better situation to open up is telling. I think his advice to McDaniels will be informed by that experience, and by what Mangini ultimately has gone through. I think McDaniels' hearing of that advice will also be informed by the debacle he's seeing go down over in jersey, and I think he will do whatever Belichick advises.

He'll get an HC job down the line, but the fact that the Raiders had him on a short-list isn't that persuasive to me. JOSH will decide to wait, and should. And hey, if I'm wrong and he doesn't, we'll have no problem finding someone to run the offense and, hopefully, eventually achieving the kind of sync Josh has come to establish.

Last edited:

Not sure I'd say "likely" that Josh will be gone. There's some veteran HC candidates out there in Cowher and Schottenheimer and other assistants who will be looking very good like Jason Garrett (Dallas OC) and Chudzinski (Cle OC) who have had terrific seasons but without Brady.

I agree. Josh is not the only hot candidate out there, so there's going to be competition. However, if it turns out that after this year he really is offered a NFL HC job, my feeling is that he will take it. Foolish to not take the money, and there's nothing to lose other than going back to being an OC if his HC tenure doesn't go right. The only way BB would be pissed off by it is if Josh does the major sins Mangini did (coach a division rival, poach assistants). Just hope an NFC team hires him.

As for Norv, no way. BB at worst if he can't hire from within he will grab an assistant from a closely related tree like Coughlin's.

if he leaves one of the assistants will become the OC. BB looks ahead so i think wouldve had a contingency plan in place.

When you hire an outside OC or DC it's to install an offense because as a HC you don't have one because of your own prior experience or inclination, or the one you have isn't working.

We already have one and contrary to what many here think it was never Charlie Weiss's offense, it was Bill's. He tapped Charlie to coordinate it (as he did RAC on defense) because he knew that was a guy he could work with to flush out his vision. Now that it is firmly established, he will always opt for continuity with the brightest guy available to continue tweeking it to his liking getting the nod. Josh was apparently that guy 3 years ago (as was Mangini on D), which is why Brian Daboll left to seek advancement with the pseudo genius who also thought as a rookie DC he knew better than Bill as his QB coach (thinking that would launch him to OC) and Jeff Davidson opted to follow RAC as an OL coach and a brief stint as acting OC (though he has since moved on to Carolina for an OC position).

Bill will never hold them back if he thinks they are both ready and deserving. Because that is what Tuna did to him - try to cling. He will judge them in part by how they approach their opportunities. He would likely not be as interested in them if, say like Dante, they lacked HC'ing ambition only at such an early age. But he also realizes if they are almost irrationally impatient, as was Eric, there is probably an underlying character flaw like impatience and inflated ego.

FWIW, on that D&C interview in which Brady talked about the running-up-the-score comments, Brady said that JMcD plans to stick with Brady for a while. He also said that he's not planning on letting McDaniels go anytime soon, either. :)

If the money and opportunity are there - Which I am sure there are since this may be the most potent offense in NFL History,That will surely spell big bucks for Josh on the market for teams looking for a HC.

The money and opportunity isn't going to be there. He's not going to be a HC next year. This board is the only place he's ever been mentioned as an imminent hire as an HC.

Remember when Brian Billick was an Offensive Genius bc he was the OC of the Vikings record-setting team?

Then he went to Baltimore.

And proceeded to shepard one of the worst NFL offenses of the last decade.

Sometimes the players make the coaches. That is clearly the case here with Josh. If some GM is dumb enough to pay him money to be a head coach, he can go right ahead.

They could bring anyone on to run this offense.

If there is an opportunity Josh would be hard-pressed to let it pass by. You never know what is going to happen from year to year, next year the Patriots could lose Moss & Stallworth to FA and Brady could get injured and suddenly the team doesn't look like the offensive juggernaut it is and offers don't come Josh's way.

I don't blame Mangini for taking the Jets job, you really can't just sit back and wait for your perfect opportunity and even when that perfect opportunity comes along it can still go bad, just look at SD.

Why ruin a good thing? I realize the desire for opportunity but yeah look at Norv. And he didn't come from an elite such as NE. AJ basically screwed us because of personality conflicts with Marty. Who fires a HC after a 14-2 season? Well back to the point...you guys can have Norv! Can we trade him and Rivers for Brady? :rofl:

Josh likes his situation enough to stay here if a substandard coaching vacancy opens up (limited control of personnel, meddlesome owner, below average compensation).

If a quality situation opens up, he HAS to go for it.

St. Louis might be a nice place for him to go.

i think if STL wants him, he MAY go there, but no where else, he deservedely wants an offense on the team, and STL has it, even if its not showing that this season

Why ruin a good thing? I realize the desire for opportunity but yeah look at Norv. And he didn't come from an elite such as NE. AJ basically screwed us because of personality conflicts with Marty. Who fires a HC after a 14-2 season? Well back to the point...you guys can have Norv! Can we trade him and Rivers for Brady? :rofl:
I think you know what the answer is: no, even if you throw in the entire San Diego offense.

assuming that the core of this offense is still around next year, especially Moss, Welker, Brady and the O-line plus maybe a new back, I think he'll stay to see what they can accomplish with a season under their belt. he'll have plenty of chances, he's young, he'll learn more and more as long as he's with BB.

I think theres virtually no chance Josh remains with this team next season,The way the offense is simply toying with its competition all season is putting Josh high up on other teams looking for a new HC next season.

While I think Josh is an o.k. OC and in reality a product of the talented players he has to work with,He still will probably be top dog on the list for teams wanting to change thier fortunes next year like St. Louis,Washington,San Diego,Houston and even possibly Miami if Huizenga gets embarrassed with an 0-16 campaign but I think he will probably keep Cam around for another season so I think there still are several teams wanting to take Josh away like those I mentioned.

I think San Diego will definately fire Norv shortly after this campaign unless the Chargers somehow find a way to get serious in/if they make the playoffs.

That leaves the chance that Josh may end up in San Diego and Norv would be available for a position in the NFL,If Norv does become available and Josh leaves would it be a good move to get Norv as OC?

Norv has been a horrid HC but a very good OC

Should this scenerio happen,Would you want Norv in charge of this offense?
Only if we can get Morningweg as DC.

Josh will learn from Mangenius and stay put another couple years. Nothing to lose as long as Brady and Belichick are around.

Belichick will not bring someone in that brings a different offense. He will retain his current offensive system and hire someone that can work with it, probably from within but we don't have to worry about that for awhile and Charlie Weis may be looking for work then.

On Denise & Callahan, Denise stated he thought Josh would be the hottest assistant coach slotted for a head coaching job. Brady said that he asked Josh and the answer was no. Brady also said he and Josh had a verbal contract that he would stay "for a long time".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes