PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels will likely become a HC next season - Norv Turner a good replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I think theres virtually no chance Josh remains with this team next season,The way the offense is simply toying with its competition all season is putting Josh high up on other teams looking for a new HC next season.

While I think Josh is an o.k. OC and in reality a product of the talented players he has to work with,He still will probably be top dog on the list for teams wanting to change thier fortunes next year like St. Louis,Washington,San Diego,Houston and even possibly Miami if Huizenga gets embarrassed with an 0-16 campaign but I think he will probably keep Cam around for another season so I think there still are several teams wanting to take Josh away like those I mentioned.

I think San Diego will definately fire Norv shortly after this campaign unless the Chargers somehow find a way to get serious in/if they make the playoffs.

That leaves the chance that Josh may end up in San Diego and Norv would be available for a position in the NFL,If Norv does become available and Josh leaves would it be a good move to get Norv as OC?

Norv has been a horrid HC but a very good OC

Should this scenerio happen,Would you want Norv in charge of this offense?

Last edited:
Re: Josh McDaniels will likely become a HC next season - Norv Turner a good replacem

Huh???? I think Josh is smarter than that...in time HE WILL leave not now..

Re: Josh McDaniels will likely become a HC next season - Norv Turner a good replacem

Huh???? I think Josh is smarter than that...in time HE WILL leave not now..

If the money and opportunity are there - Which I am sure there are since this may be the most potent offense in NFL History,That will surely spell big bucks for Josh on the market for teams looking for a HC.

There is no way, IMO, that Josh McDaniel will be a HC next year. He may be on his way to getting some consideration in the next few years, but it is way too soon.
To answer your other question, no, I do not want Norv Turner here. We would promote from within. Mangurian would be my guess.

Big bucks means nothing to some..a lure..but if the money is there now..it will be later...I think he stays...

If the money and opportunity are there - Which I am sure there are since this may be the most potent offense in NFL History,That will surely spell big bucks for Josh on the market for teams looking for a HC.

I'm not doubting that teams will be interested. The question, though, is will JMcD be interested in being a HC right now? I'm not convinced that he is (honestly, he must be having one heck of a good time right now. . . .).

And, at this point, Norv Turner is box office poison in my book.

Norv Turner will never be brought in. It simply wont happen. There are several reasons for this, but bottom line is not a chance.

As for Josh, I dont think he's ready yet, though that probably wouldnt stop some team from going after him. But, I think he'll stay here for atleast a couple more years. He still has alot to learn, Im sure he'll be compensated enough to prevent that from happening, he's probably pretty happy with his situation, and Im sure he recognizes how special this team is, and how it just cant get any better. He'll have a long career. No reason to move on just yet. jmho.

Norv Turner????????????????????????? Absolutely not. Puhleaze. McDaniels would be foolish to leave now. What's the rush? He will be able to get a job anytime he wants over the next 3-5 years. Why not stick around and add a couple super bowl rings to his coaching resume the same way Belichick got a couple as the DC for the Giants? McDaniels is younger than Brady for crying out loud. He has plenty of time to become a head coach and I'm sure he can still learn a lot more things from the master. I don't think he is going anywhere, but maybe I'm being naive.

There is no way, IMO, that Josh McDaniel will be a HC next year. He may be on his way to getting some consideration in the next few years, but it is way too soon.
To answer your other question, no, I do not want Norv Turner here. We would promote from within. Mangurian would be my guess.

I am not so sure about that,Remember Oakland had interest in McDaniels in the offseason LAST year and that was BEFORE this incredible season and with an offense last year led by Reche Caldwell at WR and that includes questionable offensive play calls all of last season from Josh in 2006.

Last edited:

I think theres virtually no chance Josh remains with this team next season,The way the offense is simply toying with its competition all season is putting Josh high up on other teams looking for a new HC next season.

While I think Josh is an o.k. OC and in reality a product of the talented players he has to work with,He still will probably be top dog on the list for teams wanting to change thier fortunes next year like St. Louis,Washington,San Diego,Houston and even possibly Miami if Huizenga gets embarrassed with an 0-16 campaign but I think he will probably keep Cam around for another season so I think there still are several teams wanting to take Josh away like those I mentioned.

I think San Diego will definately fire Norv shortly after this campaign unless the Chargers somehow find a way to get serious in/if they make the playoffs.

That leaves the chance that Josh may end up in San Diego and Norv would be available for a position in the NFL,If Norv does become available and Josh leaves would it be a good move to get Norv as OC?

only problem he cant take , belicheck, brady, moss, o line, welker,stallworth,watson, schemes and plays are good , but just ask, romeo, mangini and weiss, hes very young and i think my 5 year old could call the plays for this team, if he goes hes replacable, ill be worried when the players leave

Not sure I'd say "likely" that Josh will be gone. There's some veteran HC candidates out there in Cowher and Schottenheimer and other assistants who will be looking very good like Jason Garrett (Dallas OC) and Chudzinski (Cle OC) who have had terrific seasons but without Brady.

So I'm not sure I buy the premise although it's possible. 50-50 at best I think.

Anyway, who knows. Turner is well respected but I expect Belichick would want someone like McDaniels who would run Belichick's offense and Turner may not be interested. I'm a little surprised Belichick hasn't hired a young QB coach to work under McDaniels.

That's like saying:
Kraft will likely become a GM next season (With the Redskins) - Spurrier a good replacement?

Ditto on Turner, wouldn't want to see his face on the Patriots sideline. Josh will be sought after at some point as you say since he's part of the Belichick tree. I wouldn't know when.

Not sure I'd say "likely" that Josh will be gone. I'm a little surprised Belichick hasn't hired a young QB coach to work under McDaniels.
Maybe that would be redundant with Brady on the team? Saves a headcount to be used somewhere else.

Maybe that would be redundant with Brady on the team? Saves a headcount to be used somewhere else.
Right, I was meaning more in terms of an OC in training than the actual need for a QB coach.

only problem he cant take , belicheck, brady, moss, o line, welker,stallworth,watson, schemes and plays are good , but just ask, romeo, mangini and weiss, hes very young and i think my 5 year old could call the plays for this team, if he goes hes replacable, ill be worried when the players leave

Bingo!!! The value of the NE offense is the Players not Josh Mcdaniel

I don't see McDaniels leaving. I think he will wait for the right opportunity and I don't know if it is out there. The fact that the Pats are probably going to go to the Super Bowl will hurt his chances too.

I'm sorry, but it is a myth that coaching opportunities are few and far between. Every year, there are at least 5 spots open and upwards to 8 or 9. Every year, McDaniels will be on a short list of candidates.

I think McDaniels will look at Mangini and see how much he is over his head and realize waiting a year or two more learning at the side of Belichick will do him a world of good. The opportunities will be there as long as he has Brady as his QB. McDaniels will ask himself would he rather be a head coach for 3-4 years or two decades. That could be the difference if he jumps too soon.

Mangini has a good chance of being out of the NFL after next season. Unless the Jets finish really strong and end up 6-10 or 7-9, Mangini starts next year on the hotseat. It seems pretty evident to me that his inexperience is a big reason why he is in the position he is in. People can blame the talent, but the talent produced this past Sunday. Even then, Mangini's coaching almost blew it for the Jets with him stupidily having Clemens spiking the ball late in the fourth.

The Pats develop from within. Even Pees was a positional coach with the Pats before he replaced Mangini as the DC.

There is no way the Pats bring in Turner to be the OC.

I believe that McDaniels KNOWS he's not ready to be a HC and has seen how Mangini has fallen and how Mangini has burned the bridges back to Belichick.

I expect McDaniels to be the OC for at least 1 more year before he starts considering a HC position.

Where do you come up with these threads?

Seriously.

Every year, McDaniels will be on a short list of candidates.

Well, if the rumors are true, McDaniels was on Oakland's short list last year.

McDaniels is younger than Brady for crying out loud.

Just a minor point here, but McDaniels is actually a year older than Brady. And, in one of those weird twists of fate, at John Carroll University, McDaniels was a wide receiver playing for quarterback Nick Caserio, who is now the Pats' WR coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes