PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels jawing at Belichick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This McDaniels bashing is a little ridiculous. His play calling wasn't the problem Sunday night unless the plays he were calling were designed for Koppen to get knocked on his arse almost every play. People biatch about all the big plays that Cassel blew, but if Cassel blew a big play that was there doesn't that mean McDaniels did his job? It isn't McDaniels fault that what should have been a big gainer and setting up first and goal was negated because Moss couldn't hold onto the ball.

Last year everyone complained about the guy because he refuses to run the ball, but this year it is nearly 50-50, actually 148 run and 157 pass (although last year they did run over 43% of the time which is far less lopsided than his detractors give him credit for). They also complained that he used the shotgun to much and didn't use playaction. Well this year the shotgun has gone down exponentially and the playaction has gone up. People didn't give him a break last year when he has the best QB/WR duo ever and trying to use his best weapons to the optimal effectiveness.

McDaniels still has room for improvement, but all you have to do is watch other team's games to see how he is underappreciated in these parts. I had sit the Jets/Bengals game and watch some of the worst play calling ever. I got tired of predicting what the Bengals were going to do on first down since after the tenth or eleventh time I said "run up the middle" I got tired of hearing myself saying it.

Um.....did you see who the Bengals had as their starting QB? What did you want them to do - 5 wide and get the kid killed?

Josh sucks. Always has sucked. The Pats win DESPITE him. I have NEVER liked this guy. He is about as creative as my dead Grandmother - and as predictable too.

Um.....did you see who the Bengals had as their starting QB? What did you want them to do - 5 wide and get the kid killed?

Josh sucks. Always has sucked. The Pats win DESPITE him. I have NEVER liked this guy. He is about as creative as my dead Grandmother - and as predictable too.

The Bengals didn't have Carson Palmer? Did they have a back-up QB? How'd he do?

Um... Did you see who the Pats have as their starting QB? It is too funny that you would give the Bengals OC the benefit of the doubt for starting a back up QB and not McDaniels.

At least you have shown you are willing to throw any objectivity out the window to prove a point.

Last edited:
This McDaniels bashing is a little ridiculous. His play calling wasn't the problem Sunday night unless the plays he were calling were designed for Koppen to get knocked on his arse almost every play. People biatch about all the big plays that Cassel blew, but if Cassel blew a big play that was there doesn't that mean McDaniels did his job? It isn't McDaniels fault that what should have been a big gainer and setting up first and goal was negated because Moss couldn't hold onto the ball.

Last year everyone complained about the guy because he refuses to run the ball, but this year it is nearly 50-50, actually 148 run and 157 pass (although last year they did run over 43% of the time which is far less lopsided than his detractors give him credit for). They also complained that he used the shotgun to much and didn't use playaction. Well this year the shotgun has gone down exponentially and the playaction has gone up. People didn't give him a break last year when he has the best QB/WR duo ever and trying to use his best weapons to the optimal effectiveness.

McDaniels still has room for improvement, but all you have to do is watch other team's games to see how he is underappreciated in these parts. I had sit the Jets/Bengals game and watch some of the worst play calling ever. I got tired of predicting what the Bengals were going to do on first down since after the tenth or eleventh time I said "run up the middle" I got tired of hearing myself saying it.

As one who has questioned McDaniels playcalling even when things were going exceptionally well, one would think that I'd be looking for any opportunity to say "I told you so" even as much as it would pain me to see the team faltering.

The best I can say is that there's no real way to draw any conclusions about McDaniels true ability based on the first five games.

If the OL doesn't do their job, its a bit difficult for McDaniels to put into place any other schemes or strategies. Without that piece everthing he does is limited and designed to mask that deficiency.

That's not a good situation for an OC to be in period. If the OL ever begins playing better as a squad we'll see what McDaniels does then - until that time he gets a pass and the benefit of the doubt.

Um... Did you see who the Pats have as their starting QB? It is too funny that you would give the Bengals OC the benefit of the doubt for starting a back up QB and not McDaniels.

At least you have shown you are willing to throw any objectivity out the window to prove a point.

....how so???? Three pass plays at the goal line and bunk to show for it. Who calls that with a green QB with questionable pocket poise and football smarts?

....how so???? Three pass plays at the goal line and bunk to show for it. Who calls that with a green QB with questionable pocket poise and football smarts?

So would you rather had them do 4 run plays at the goalline and lose yards on every play? You act like Koppen wasn't getting totally dominated by Jamal Williams. You act like the Pats didn't have any prblem driving down the field on that drive by running only passing plays. You act like the Chargers didn't have the 32nd ranked pass defense coming into this game. You act like it is McDaniels' fault that Cassel didn't see a wide open Daniel Graham in the back of the endzone.

The correct call was to pass in the endzone because it worked the entire drive and it against the Chargers' weakness.

Last edited:
So would you rather had them do 4 run plays at the goalline and lose yards on every play? You act like Koppen wasn't getting totally dominated by Jamal Williams. You act like the Pats didn't have any prblem driving down the field on that drive by running only passing plays. You act like the Chargers didn't have the 32nd ranked pass defense coming into this game. You act like it is McDaniels' fault that Cassel didn't see a wide open Daniel Graham in the back of the endzone.

The correct call was to pass in the endzone because it worked the entire drive and it against the Chargers' weakness.

why run behind Koppen everytime????

The play calling in that series highlights Josh's shortcomings. Inability to change, inflexible, not very creative, stubborn.

You can all stick up for Josh and Matt because the o-line stinks. However, this same stinky line was getting teh job done last year.....or was it?

I've said this a million times before:

Tom Brady made that O-line look good. Tom Brady made BB look better. Tom Brady would make anyone look good or better. Accept it.

Last edited:
why run behind Koppen everytime????

The play calling in that series highlights Josh's shortcomings. Inability to change, inflexible, not very creative, stubborn.

LOL! So when the interior of the o-line breaks down on virtually every play where do you suppose they run it in the endzone? It isn't like either Faulk or Morris are shifty enough to break it outside the tackles in a goalline stand.

If he ran it three or four times and they didn't get in, you would be biatching too. The execution broke that drive, not the play calling.

McDaniels haters are really unreal. When the Pats do good, it is dispite McDaniels. When they do bad it is all his fault. When they want to bash Cassel, he blew plays that would have been huge gainers or TDs. But even though if the Pats had a "better QB" like Garcia or Culpepper, McDaniels still doesn't get credit for putting the offense to succeed but was derailed by execution. McDaniels can't win. Even in this thread you give another team's OC a pass for starting a back up and not McDaniels when the only highlight film anyone has of Cassel prior to this season is his Little League World Series footage and a few high school games.

There is a reason why Belichick has spend a lot of time when the offense is on the field with his back towards the field working with the defense. It is because Belichick has the utmost confidence in McDaniels. I will take his assessment over anyone on this board including myself any time.

You can all stick up for Josh and Matt because the o-line stinks. However, this same stinky line was getting teh job done last year.....or was it?

I've said this a million times before:

Tom Brady made that O-line look good. Tom Brady made BB look better. Tom Brady would make anyone look good or better. Accept it.

So we can agree that Charlie Weis sucked too? If McDaniels is a product of Brady and McDaniels' offense (2005-2007) outperformed the Weis' offense every year except for 2004 that means that Weis had to be a product of Brady.

Yes, the o-line looked good because of Brady. Brady has one of the quickest release and pocket prescense in league history. How wouldn't he make the o-line play better.

Yes, McDaniels benefitted from Brady. Who said he didn't. So did Weis. So does Belichick and the defense. I never said McDaniels was the best OC out there. I think he is above average.

People just don't give him enough credit for what he did last year. Many OCs have had as much or more talent on offense as the Pats had last year and none have had done what the Pats did. A lion share of the credit goes to Brady, but a decent piece goes to McDaniels.

:blahblah:predictable nemisms:blahblah: When we win it's always despite whomever you aramchair geniuses have utterly failed to appreciate and mindlessly tarageted and when we lose it's likewise that same unlucky SOB's fault.

What was the bungles excuse for the other umpteen games they have underperformed talent in over the last couple of seasons...

This whole thread is ridiculous. Do you honestly think the same OC who was airing the ball out all last year would want to play THIS conservative of an offense?

I guarantee you that Belichick has put some handcuffs on the kind of plays McDaniels can call. I don't blame him, given what we're working with, but I do think it is a bit too conservative.

Then again I put the blame for that 4 down failure on the goal line solely on Mcdaniels shoulders. Should have run, run, run, run. Its not rocket science.

I guarantee you that Belichick has put some handcuffs on the kind of plays McDaniels can call.

You under-estimate how much freedom BB gives his coordinators, he trusts them and doesn't micromanage unless they blatantly suck like Mangini.

Next you're going to tell me it was Belichick's idea to put Heath Evans at WR out wide multiple times in the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes