PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels and the "Offense"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that nobody is starting threads about Matt Patricia. His unit's performance was worse.

You need a characteristic, a personality, in order to spin it into a narrative. McDaniels is "Skippy McKid," the spread offense whiz who won't run the ball enough and the stubborn ******* who won't stop running the goddamn ball.

Who is Matt Patricia? What does he do? More importantly, what does he not do? What does he not do that one could still say he's doing too much? Until people figure that out, he won't get many threads here at Patsfans I'm afraid.

If Brady blocks Upshaw, even for 1/2 a second, that reverse goes for BIG yardage.

counting on a 35 year old QB to block a 20 something LB in order for a play to be successful is not a good policy.

Interesting that nobody is starting threads about Matt Patricia. His unit's performance was worse.

Play calling on offense always looks easy. Play calling on defense looks much more complicated so, for the most part, nobody claims that they know what should have been the defense.

Last edited:
A lot of people are upset at the OC for the plays he called. You know what? You never actually get to see what the OC calls. Brady was calling audibles all night. I don't know the exact number but I bet more than half of the plays were audibles. Brady probably saw something in the defense and called the best play he thought would exploit it. So to put this all on the OC is really rather dumb when more than half the plays are called at the line of scrimmage.

actually, that's when the O seems to run best. When Brady gets going and calling from the line, the Pats decimate teams. When they slow down, they get stopped. McD needs to just let Brady see the D and attack.

Re: Request for McDaniels Apologists

Ridley was the RB in on that clock killing drive. How'd he do?

2 one yard runs
a dropped pass
a 3 yard run that was called back

Any corpse in the cemetery could had accomplished that.

While he was as useful as a corpse, Ridley was hardly the problem on the final drive - It was the inability of the offense and TB to close out a game with the lead and ball with under 5 minutes left (despite being helped by 2 penalties on B'More). I was at the game and the LOUDEST chants of "Bull*****" were raining down because the home crowd seemed to feel the refs were going to not give their team a chance (IMO). Ravens fans chanting ******** vs the Patriots - YouTube
The game was still ours to lose on 2nd and 9 at the Baltimore 44 yard line. Instead of moving forward and having a possible shot at a FG to ice it, we take a sack and fall to 3rd and 16. That 3rd down play was a feeble pass to Gronk the flat that almost looked like it was going to go for a pick 6.

1st-10, NE20 4:01 T. Brady incomplete pass to the right
2nd-10, NE20 3:57 T. Brady passed to W. Welker to the right for 11 yard gain
1st-10, NE31 3:15 S. Ridley rushed to the left for 1 yard gain
2nd-9, NE32 2:32 T. Brady incomplete pass to the left
3rd-9, NE32 2:28 Baltimore committed 5 yard penalty
1st-10, NE37 2:23 S. Ridley rushed to the left for 3 yard gain. Baltimore committed 15 yard penalty
1st-10, BAL45 2:18 S. Ridley rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
2nd-9, BAL44 2:12 T. Brady sacked by D. Ellerbe and H. Ngata
3rd-16, NE49 2:06 T. Brady incomplete pass to the right
4th-16, NE49 1:55 Z. Mesko punt.

While he was as useful as a corpse, Ridley was hardly the problem on the final drive - It was the inability of the offense and TB to close out a game with the lead and ball with under 5 minutes left (despite being helped by 2 penalties on B'More). I was at the game and the LOUDEST chants of "Bull*****" were raining down because the home crowd seemed to feel the refs were going to not give their team a chance (IMO). Ravens fans chanting Bull**** vs the Patriots - YouTube
The game was still ours to lose on 2nd and 9 at the Baltimore 44 yard line. Instead of moving forward and having a possible shot at a FG to ice it, we take a sack and fall to 3rd and 16. That 3rd down play was a feeble pass to Gronk the flat that almost looked like it was going to go for a pick 6.

1st-10, NE20 4:01 T. Brady incomplete pass to the right
2nd-10, NE20 3:57 T. Brady passed to W. Welker to the right for 11 yard gain
1st-10, NE31 3:15 S. Ridley rushed to the left for 1 yard gain
2nd-9, NE32 2:32 T. Brady incomplete pass to the left
3rd-9, NE32 2:28 Baltimore committed 5 yard penalty
1st-10, NE37 2:23 S. Ridley rushed to the left for 3 yard gain. Baltimore committed 15 yard penalty
1st-10, BAL45 2:18 S. Ridley rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
2nd-9, BAL44 2:12 T. Brady sacked by D. Ellerbe and H. Ngata
3rd-16, NE49 2:06 T. Brady incomplete pass to the right
4th-16, NE49 1:55 Z. Mesko punt.

I was just talking about Ridley because of what some have griped about with Woodhead, but there's no question that the plays that hurt that drive were the first down plays for Ridley. Blaming Brady for that is just flat out wrong.

Last edited:

I was just talking about Ridley because of what some have griped about with Woodhead, but there's no question that the plays that hurt that drive were the first down plays for Ridley. Blaming Brady for that is just flat out wrong.

I am not specifically blaming Brady - I am blaming our offense as a whole for not icing the game when they had the opportunity. Regardless, when is the last time we been able to run the ball late in the game when the opposition knows we are going to run? The 2007 AFCCG when LoMo had a signature final drive vs. SD?
Baltimore was lying in wait on those 1st down plays and there was no where to run.

I am not specifically blaming Brady - I am blaming our offense as a whole for not icing the game when they had the opportunity. Regardless, when is the last time we been able to run the ball late in the game when the opposition knows we are going to run? The 2007 AFCCG when LoMo had a signature final drive vs. SD?
Baltimore was lying in wait on those 1st down plays and there was no where to run.

The whole notion of the Patriots needing to run to close out games is flawed anyway, but running against the Ravens last night was just stupid. New England was killing them with the pass. Every run was doing the Ravens a favor.

The whole notion of the Patriots needing to run to close out games is flawed anyway, but running against the Ravens last night was just stupid. New England was killing them with the pass. Every run was doing the Ravens a favor.

:agree:

Brady was sharp all night long - I cannot recall 1 "bad" throw the whole game.

I wish I could click like on this post several times.

The offense was pretty much fine last night. If you told me we'd put up 30 points against the Ravens, I'd take it.

Had we even put up 30 points on them ever before? In an away game, I would take that every time. As Deus has already said, our offense had the odds stacked against them. Yes, it would have been nice to close out the game, but the fact remains that our defense couldn't hold up their end of the bargain, though they were at a handicap for sure.

:agree:

Brady was sharp all night long - I cannot recall 1 "bad" throw the whole game.
Brady had a few bad throws. The quick out to Lloyd when he need to go back to the ball was poorly thrown. The INT to WW that was called a PA was ill-advised.

All in all Brady played a great game but to say he was perfect is inaccurate, IMO.

Had we even put up 30 points on them ever before? In an away game, I would take that every time. As Deus has already said, our offense had the odds stacked against them. Yes, it would have been nice to close out the game, but the fact remains that our defense couldn't hold up their end of the bargain, though they were at a handicap for sure.

I agree for the most part. However I still think that in a league that has flipped entirely via rule changes to a league that favors aggressive offense, your best chance to win the game is with your offense on the field. We see it time and time again of late. So while impressive, the 30 points the Pats scored to me still only makes the point that the Pats needed to put the game away via a scoring drive that maintained the Pats edge at two scores or two opponent possessions if you will. Further, the 30 points tells you that the Pats had the means to do it.

Beyond that I do agree that once the Pat's fate was in the hands of its defense, that defense failed to hold up its end. However, again in a league that rewards aggressive offense, and now allows receivers to run free in your secondary, we need a few better athletes in that secondary, guys that can make plays on the ball. Flacco made plenty of mistakes in the passing game which is what you hope for whether via D-line pressure or not. We just did not take advantage of those mistakes when they were right there. How many potential picks does Flacco have to put up there? Did he have to walk out to the defensive back and hand him the ball? Apparently so...he just about did that. Certainly if Arrington was enough of an athlete to have stayed on his feet, that pick would have very likely been the last important play in a Pats victory.

This is what sucks so bad. Yes, this time the defense let us down, again but they started the game off pretty well and gave the offense a 13-0 lead. But the game against the Cardinals, the defense gave the offense plenty-o-chances and the offense muffed on them badly, against the Cardinals, at the home opener.

We started to blow the Ravens away at the beginning because the offense and the defense were clicking and on the same page. Once the defense started letting up, the pressure shifted to the offense, which we're pretty used too at this point. But then the games that the defense has a very good game, the offense seems dull.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye