PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels and the "Offense"

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Josh McDaniels and the "Offense"

Ridley - 13 carries, 37 yards

Woodhead - 15 carries, 34 yards

People complaining about Woodhead's use didn't pay attention to the game.

Why the hell are people always trying to dump Woodhead? Let's not forget, it is up to the OL to open holes. It's hard to get a good average when the defense is constantly in the backfield. Other than the 14 yard run and Ridley averaged one yard a carry.

Josh McDaniels is one of the best OCs in the game, but I think we should shelve all reverses and pitchouts until our O-line gets better.

This is a new offense. It's going to take some time to really hit it's stride. Remember 2010 after the Moss trade? It looked worse than this offense looks now for a few weeks until they hit their stride in that Pittsburgh game. Lloyd and Brady are looking more comfortable each week, Edelman is getting an increased role, Ridley is showing he can be a legit threat. I see lots of promise here but it's not going to happen overnight. Despite that, we are scoring over 27 PPG which most teams would take in a heartbeat.

The offense put up 30 points against the Ravens last night, despite not having Hernandez, having Edelman get nicked up, having Branch working his way back into game shape, having Winslow being extremely limited because of his newness with the team, and having to deal with absolutely horrible officiating. I had problems with the direction of the offense in week one, and I hated what was going on in week 2, but last night was fine for the most part.

McDaniels is the best OC the Patriots have had under BB. I have no need to see either O'Brien or Weis back in that position.

What a crock! :rofl:
The best OC the Patriots have had under BB has the Patriots nearing midfield with a 1st down, 3 minutes left in the game and proceeds to playcall 3 and out while losing yardage with a gadget play that bombs (yeah yeah let's run a play laterally when the Ravens have been pushing the O line backwards) and eats up a whopping minute off the clock which forces the Patriots to punt BEFORE the 2 minute warning.
Equally as weak is why the best OC the Patriots have had under BB does not play his best players. Hey, why play Wes Welker and Steven Ridley when you can play Julien Edelman and Danny Woodhead. :rolleyes:
Charlie Weis did far more with far less than Josh McDaniel ever has.

The best OC the Patriots have had under BB has the Patriots nearing midfield with a 1st down, 3 minutes left in the game and proceeds to playcall 3 and out while losing yardage with a gadget play that bombs (yeah yeah let's run a play laterally when the Ravens have been pushing the O line backwards) and eats up a whopping minute off the clock which forces the Patriots to punt BEFORE the 2 minute warning.
Equally as weak is why the best OC the Patriots have had under BB does not play his best players. Hey, why play Wes Welker and Steven Ridley when you can play Julien Edelman and Danny Woodhead. :rolleyes:

You have no idea what you're talking about here, and people used to go postal over the same sorts of things under Weis.

Last edited:

How can you blame that on McD? It's Brady's responsibility to see the unaccounted blitzer off the edge and he missed it. Then what do you want McD to call on 3rd and 16 for us?

Here's what pisses me off. Because of injuries (Hernandez, Edelman) Welker sees increases playing time and shocker, has great production. The part that pisses me off is that this means there was no mysterious injury, just bad coaching and personnel decisions to take one of the best players off the field either out of spite or to experiment during live games. Those are the only two options left since the injury farce is out the window.

Here's what pisses me off. Because of injuries (Hernandez, Edelman) Welker sees increases playing time and shocker, has great production. The part that pisses me off is that this means there was no mysterious injury, just bad coaching and personnel decisions to take one of the best players off the field either out of spite or to experiment during live games. Those are the only two options left since the injury farce is out the window.

Yeah the Welker misuse was inexcusable. But I'm not sure if that is on JMD, BB or God knows who.

The offense put up 30 points against the Ravens last night, despite not having Hernandez, having Edelman get nicked up, having Branch working his way back into game shape, having Winslow being extremely limited because of his newness with the team, and having to deal with absolutely horrible officiating. I had problems with the direction of the offense in week one, and I hated what was going on in week 2, but last night was fine for the most part.

McDaniels is the best OC the Patriots have had under BB. I have no need to see either O'Brien or Weis back in that position.

I wish I could click like on this post several times.

The offense was pretty much fine last night. If you told me we'd put up 30 points against the Ravens, I'd take it.

This is a new offense. It's going to take some time to really hit it's stride. ....

Finally a voice of reason!

So what if we are currently < .5 after losing a hard game and worse - are currently ranked beneath the much loved Jesters and the Bills in the division? :eek:

It is just the third game and I am supremely confident that we are going to excellent as the new O gets comfortable and irons out everything, especially with a relatively easy schedule.

GO PATS!

Last edited:

You have no idea what you're talking about here, and people used to go postal over the same sorts of things under Weis.

No you have no idea what you are talking about. You're bedazzled by the Greatest Show on Turf........that can't close out games.
One 1st down and the game is over. They not only could not get the 1st down but they lost yardage and failed to take time off the clock.
Terrible job by the "strength" of that team, the offense.
Just awful playcalling.

No you have no idea what you are talking about. You're bedazzled by the Greatest Show on Turf........that can't close out games.
One 1st down and the game is over. They not only could not get the 1st down but they lost yardage and failed to take time off the clock.
Just awful playcalling.

Not the playcalling, just the execution. That is on the players.

Just awful playcalling.

I'm not bedazzled at all, and I problems with some of the playcalling. I called out when I had a problem, and I did it in the game thread.

It's just that you don't know what you're talking about, which is often the case with you, and you either never saw Weis as an OC or you've chosen to use a ridiculously selective memory.

As for that drive, I had problems with the play calls on the last 3 downs but, despite your gripe, there was only one play where the clock didn't keep running (first play was a 1 yard run, second play was a sack), so you're talking out of your backside. Should they have run on third down after the sack? Yes, but that was a matter of 1 second.

The problem is that they should have been passing on first down, because that's how they moved the ball all night long. It should have been pass/run/run, and you'd have cried about them doing that, too.

Last edited:

Just awful playcalling.

Yeah, the Ravens D really sucks. They should've lit them up for 50.

This is a new offense. It's going to take some time to really hit it's stride. Remember 2010 after the Moss trade? It looked worse than this offense looks now for a few weeks until they hit their stride in that Pittsburgh game. Lloyd and Brady are looking more comfortable each week, Edelman is getting an increased role, Ridley is showing he can be a legit threat. I see lots of promise here but it's not going to happen overnight. Despite that, we are scoring over 27 PPG which most teams would take in a heartbeat.
Agree, this is a work in progress, people have no patience. At times MD out smarted himself but over all he is committed to a much more balance Offance than Obrien whos mind set was throw even if the running game was working well.

Have nothing against Edelman but don't know josh gives him so much preference .

No, the playcalling was not good.

We did score 30 points on the Ravens defense. That should be good enough to win most games. If the reverse would have worked the call would have been great.

How are people STILL complaining about Edelman? The man produced and scored a touchdown.

Welker got his touches, and the only reason Edelman was targeted so much was because Welker was locked up by Webb in the first half.

Be happy we have an alternative so when WW gets shutdown the defense has to suffer.

Some people here aren't happy unless they see fantasy numbers for two players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down