PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels and the "Offense"

Status
Not open for further replies.

UofApatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Can one of you explain to me why McDaniels seems hellbent on forcing the ball to Woodhead in spite of how inefficient he's been? Thanks in advance.

Re: Request for McDaniels Apologists

Can one of you explain to me why McDaniels seems hellbent on forcing the ball to Woodhead in spite of how inefficient he's been? Thanks in advance.

Well, Woodhead is averaging less then 2.5 yards per carry this season so of course you force feed him the ball.

Woodhead is awful. I swear if I see him running on first or second down again this season I will scream.

They didn't play that great on defense either.

McDaniels play call on 2nd down of the last series was horrible. Under 3 minutes left and he goes empty backfield. Ravens D knows it's pass and tees off and gets a sack which essentially ends the drive.

Passing in that situation is fine, but at least leave a back in so the Ravens don't know if its a pass or run. Just a horrible call.

Because Ridley can't catch a ball.

With Woodhead you get versatility that you don't get with Ridley. Without Hernandez, and especially once you lose pieces like Lloyd (he was injured at the end) you need to remain in formations that allow more run/pass combinations.

Do you really think you're outsmarting McD? That he just sat Ridley for ****s and giggles?

Jesus.

No possible explanation in the world can justify Woodhead having more carries than Ridley. The play calling and personnel packages have been questionable at best in the last two games.

With 2 losses in a row we can be sure that a trick play in the 1st or 2nd quarter is just as stupid as calling one in the 4th quarter. Lesson learned

So after the first few games, I've been severely unimpressed with the play calling from Josh. When we first signed him, I couldn't wait to see the screen plays and solid play calling he's known for. He hasn't really done either as well. Although, I'm glad he finally got smart and added Welker back in the lineup (probably due to Hernandez's injury :rolleyes:), his play calling has been dismal at best.

Why doesn't he just let Brady what he does best and make his throws. he should be confident in Brady in the instance that the play should be changed. The Patriots are built for a potent passing attack and Brady shredded the defesne all night but whats up with the "cute" plays on second down? The crazy direct snap then pitch when all we had to do was just run the darn ball is sickening to watch. As we mentioned, I think he's trying to show off and embarass defenses rather than just play good football with accurate drives?

With this being said, how are your thoughts now compared to when you first heard about the signing? Do you miss Billy O' Brien..... just a tad. ;)

re: Josh McDaniels and the "Offense"

So after the first few games, I've been severely unimpressed with the play calling from Josh. When we first signed him, I couldn't wait to see the screen plays and solid play calling he's known for. He hasn't really done either as well. Although, I'm glad he finally got smart and added Welker back in the lineup (probably due to Hernandez's injury :rolleyes:), his play calling has been dismal at best.

Why doesn't he just let Brady what he does best and make his throws. he should be confident in Brady in the instance that the play should be changed. The Patriots are built for a potent passing attack and Brady shredded the defesne all night but whats up with the "cute" plays on second down? The crazy direct snap then pitch when all we had to do was just run the darn ball is sickening to watch. As we mentioned, I think he's trying to show off and embarass defenses rather than just play good football with accurate drives?

With this being said, how are your thoughts now compared to when you first heard about the signing? Do you miss Billy O' Brien..... just a tad. ;)

Seriously, Seriously I say, I would give up a 2nd round pick to get OBrien back. McDaniel is the worst thing that has happened to this offense since last year.

I miss him as well

Seriously, Seriously I say, I would give up a 2nd round pick to get OBrien back. McDaniel is the worst thing that has happened to this offense since last year.
No thanks. Micky D got to cute for his own good last night, but this offense is still in transition from three years of OBrien' pass on every down mentality into being balanced run/pass.

Last edited:

The offense put up 30 points against the Ravens last night, despite not having Hernandez, having Edelman get nicked up, having Branch working his way back into game shape, having Winslow being extremely limited because of his newness with the team, and having to deal with absolutely horrible officiating. I had problems with the direction of the offense in week one, and I hated what was going on in week 2, but last night was fine for the most part.

McDaniels is the best OC the Patriots have had under BB. I have no need to see either O'Brien or Weis back in that position.

And where is the second coming Shane Vereen?:confused: He's looking more and more like waste of a Second Round pick every day.:mad:

Calling that reverse was horrible....They have Tom Brady and are running trick plays...

Dropped 30 on the Ravens D and people want the OC's head? Not many Teams will dropped 30 on the Ravens and lose.

Last edited:

The offense put up 30 points against the Ravens last night, despite not having Hernandez, having Edelman get nicked up, having Branch working his way back into game shape, having Winslow being extremely limited because of his newness with the team, and having to deal with absolutely horrible officiating. I had problems with the direction of the offense in week one, and I hated what was going on in week 2, but last night was fine for the most part.

McDaniels is the best OC the Patriots have had under BB. I have no need to see either O'Brien or Weis back in that position.

I agree with all of this except I liked Weis better, but that's not the point here.

I don't see how people can complain so much about putting up 30 points in one of the toughest places/teams to play. Playcalling to me has been fine aside from week 2, I expect it'll only get better as the offense comes together.

Calling that reverse was horrible....They have Tom Brady and are running trick plays...

If Brady blocks Upshaw, even for 1/2 a second, that reverse goes for BIG yardage.

Ridley was the RB in on that clock killing drive. How'd he do?

2 one yard runs
a dropped pass
a 3 yard run that was called back

Any corpse in the cemetery could had accomplished that.

I was going to post the Bedard article too because I think he nailed it with the possible exception of his blind spot where ballaxeing the OL heading into this season is concerned.

Josh has taken something that wasn't broken by a long shot, just needed a little tweeking in the form of a viable outside threat and increased focus on the capacity to run the ball efficiently as a complimentary balance and situationally, and attempted to make wholesale changes to it. Has bitten him in the ass early. Especially when the apparent cornerstone of the offense without whom we were able to muddle to 3-1 in the absense of in the past, even with an albatross like Ocho hung around Brady's neck, goes out once again.

We don't have the depth at WR to adapt to TE insufficiency due to the focus on amassing dysfunctional TE depth throughout camp and the desire to retain some developmental bindy's on defense. The fascination with Edleman continues as he would have led the team in WR snaps if not for getting hurt and missing the tail end of the second quarter and all of the second half. Then there is the matter of the running game we either overcommit to or under commit to based on the perceived inability of anyone not named Woodhead to operate in no huddle. And the kicker is the continued inability of the OL to run block or pass block for more than 3 seconds with any consistency even with constant reinforcement that limits options in the passing game both in number and route depth of available targets.

He's actually making me miss BOB. Who at least knew how to make the most of whatever hand he was dealt.

And having 28 TE's on the roster is worthless when none of them can remotely replicate what you lose when Hernandez isn't available to receive and Gronk is relegated to 6th blocker on the OL. Teams that don't have one all world TE on the roster somehow manage to compete. Injuries in this league are as inevitable as death and taxes. Teams who pre plan for them via adaptability of roster and scheme have an edge we seem to increasingly lack. And often seemingly to retain an edge on ST which frankly doesn't exist. We had 4 TE's active last night and 3 of them split roughly a dozen snaps. We played in 3 wide most of the night and struggled to field 3 to the point Slater actually saw snaps.

The broadcast crew said that Brady spent most of the week focused on getting Winslow up to speed... This crash course mentality has to stop. Puts everyone including veterans and newcomers on edge to the point they struggle to get in rhythm. Act like you've been here before and do what always got you through. Quit trying to force issues and let Brady and his offense find a natural rhythm without everyone having to overthink to fit within a scheme some of them instinctively know inside out. And focus less on replacing Hernandez the receiving TE than figuring out which TE can remotely block well enough that Gronkowski can get off the LOS.

After every season, Belichick instructs all of his assistants to do an extensive study, using video, statistics, and anything else they need to come up with suggestions to improve their unit.

Maybe McDaniels got a little too ambitious when he returned after Bill O’Brien left for Penn State.

It’s one thing to want to run the ball more. The Patriots at times last season didn’t run the ball enough. New England could stand to do more of “winning to run” — going to the ground with the lead — than “running to win.”

You could also understand the desire to use more tight ends in the offense, especially after addressing depth there in the offseason.

And, sure, Edelman, because of his ability in the open field with the ball in his hands, and to block in the running game, certainly proved worthy of more playing time.

Tinkering is always welcome. The Patriots can always get better by finding ways to be more efficient.

But there’s a difference between tweaking what has worked terrifically in recent years, and change for the sake of change. Too much Edelman. Too many tight formations when Hernandez isn’t one of the options. Not enough of Stevan Ridley running the ball. Woodhead serves a purpose, but a little of him goes a long ways, too. And Wes Welker’s diminished role reeks of overthinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes