PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McD on QB situation - today (Monday 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you can't go into a game having no backup QB and hope nothing happens.
By that argument you should only carry 1 of every position, and hope.
I'm not sure what you think you are gaining by not having a backup.

The need someone to backup Brissett. There is no arguement there.

I said signing a backup Qb the same day the team is getting gameplans who doesn't know the offense and the players has some, but a low amount of value.

The team also needs to project what exactly Jimmy could do on Thursday and who they will need to remove from the 53 in order to accommodate a QB who they will have for only 2 weeks.

They need to look at the entire situation before bringing someone in.

The need someone to backup Brissett. There is no arguement there.

I said signing a backup Qb the same day the team is getting gameplans who doesn't know the offense and the players has some, but a low amount of value.

The team also needs to project what exactly Jimmy could do on Thursday and who they will need to remove from the 53 in order to accommodate a QB who they will have for only 2 weeks.

They need to look at the entire situation before bringing someone in.
They need to look at the entire situation before finalizing a decision. They should be working on QBs as we speak.

Not sure I agree with this take.. The one thing you can expect from Belichick with regard to personnel moves is that he'll do something unexpected.

They need to look at the entire situation before finalizing a decision. They should be working on QBs as we speak.

We all know they have a list of players that they would call or trade for.

I'm assuming that they started making calls immediately after the game.

We all know they have a list of players that they would call or trade for.

I'm assuming that they started making calls immediately after the game.
I'm not sure what your argument is then.

He's not a free agent after this year; the Pats still have him under his rookie deal in 2017.

Right, but if the Pats wait one more year before trading him, the compensation will be less, just like it was for Cassell.

The decision to trade or keep Jimmy needs to be done this offseason, or even sooner, say if Cleveland wants him now.

Sentiment aside you dont trade a promising young QB to keep a 40 year old QB even if he is the goat.

First off we dont know how Brady will look when Graps contract runs out.
Do we really want to watch him take a team deep in the playoffs every season just to be like well in 2004 or 2015 Brady did this while were watching our rivals with their Lucks,Carrs,Bortles.
No thank you Belichick and Caserio always look at the future and whats best for the team.
This is the hardest decision any organization will have to make maybe ever.
But I trust they will make the right one.

Right, but if the Pats wait one more year before trading him, the compensation will be less, just like it was for Cassell.

The decision to trade or keep Jimmy needs to be done this offseason, or even sooner, say if Cleveland wants him now.

it's not happening during the season......he just proved himself to be invaluable insurance against injury later in the season.

Right, but if the Pats wait one more year before trading him, the compensation will be less, just like it was for Cassell..

Yea they franchised Cassell which was their only leverage to get something.

Right.

There is zero urgency for the Pats to move him this year and that is their leverage point. We all know they are not cutting/trading Brady b/c he will have a $26m cap hit in 2017 but that does not force NE's hand on Jimmy in 2017.

They will lose some negotiating leverage in the 2018 offseason but if you have multiple teams going after him that might get most of it back.

I think the Patriots are looking at a couple of different options as far as QB for the future goes. The first is trading Garrapolo this coming offseason, and if a team is willing to give a high first they will most likely take the deal and look at developing Brissett as Brady's successor. The second is keeping Garrapolo through his deal, creating a plan of succession where they sign him to a long term deal that is team friendly the first season and becomes a market deal after that. This gives Brady three more years and keeps Garrapolo in a system where he can succeed the way Rodgers has in Green Bay. They have control of him for two more years anyways so he would only be sacrificing one extra season as a starter in return for both the money and the guarantee of succeeding Brady. This scenario however is conditioned upon both Brady being willing to call it quits after 2018, which is doubtful, and Garrapolo being willing to back up Brady a fifth year, which he definitely won't be to keen on. The Patriots however still hold all the cards as they have Brady's rights through 2019 and will be able to franchise Garrapolo in 2018, so they will be calling the shots not the players. Into the most likely scenario is the Patriots Trading Garrapolo after this season, especially if MacDaniels gets a HC job, I doubt they will let it play out through 2017.

I honestly have no idea how this is going to play out. But, if Garoppolo is as good as he looked yesterday for the better part of a half after Josh took the Training Wheels off against a decent defense and if he isn't bit by the Tony Romo Injury-Prone-Bug, then I don't see it playing out well. I wouldn't be the first person to point out, as did Tom Brady's dad among many others, that these transitions are never pretty.

And, we all love to point to the Aaron Rodgers example, but what exactly did he gain from sitting behind Favre those three years?

With all the Flyover Country hype, it's easy to forget that he's 33 years old (Aikman and Bradshaw retired at 34), in his twelfth year in the league and has been to one SB. We can argue until the cows come home the different possible reasons for that, but he's thrown as many TD's in two games this year as Jimmy threw in less than a half yesterday.

I have no idea what the right resolution is, but I don't see this ending well and I certainly don't see JG happily sitting around Foxboro for another year.

I'm surprised BB doesn't keep a practice squad QB when he only goes two QBs deep.

I'm surprised BB doesn't keep a practice squad QB when he only goes two QBs deep.

Agreed
Then I say just how many reps are there per week?
If JAG got the vast majority because effectively he is a rookie 1st year NFL starter, not many have been left for Bisquick. How many would that leave for Joe Blow on the PS?
The value we both see is that PS Joseph Blow would at least know the play nomenclature and a few plays.

Bringing in a vet who is not familiar with our nomenclature is almost no value for Thurs.

We're better off giving the 2 ex-QBs already on the team handoff reps.

You dont trade young Franchise QBs.
You just dont you hold on to him as long as you can and I dont think Mcdaniels is going anywhere.
He seems very loyal to BB.
I think he is the successor.

You don't trade the best player in football while they are still the best player in football, which is what Brady is. Much as I like Garrapolo he didn't make through his second game and at his size could well end with the same problem Romo has had, which is being driven into the ground on his shoulders week after week.

As far as Belichick goes no one knows how long he intends on coaching nor who the successor will be, it could just as easily be Patricia in four years as MacDaniels in two or three.

As far as trading Brady goes it is not only an insane idea it is also not feasible cap wise, it would actually be more expensive to trade Brady than to franchise Garrapolo. Unfortunately morons like Tanguay and Minihane keep acting like it is an option when it clearly isn't.

Agreed
Then I say just how many reps are there per week?
If JAG got the vast majority because effectively he is a rookie 1st year NFL starter, not many have been left for Bisquick. How many would that leave for Joe Blow on the PS?
The value we both see is that PS Joseph Blow would at least know the play nomenclature and a few plays.

Bringing in a vet who is not familiar with our nomenclature is almost no value for Thurs.

We're better off giving the 2 ex-QBs already on the team handoff reps.
Who's the other one aside Edelman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back