PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joseph Addai released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have taken Ryan Grant instead all along, but what do I know?

I saw Bolden lug the rock against Arkansas or Auburn (?) and recall thinking he was pretty good back. But this move had little to do with him. Due to his history the Pats weren't going to give Addai much rope in regards to injury so this move isn't very much of a surprise. I wish Joe luck.

Brandon the job is yours to win. One nugget of advice - don't fumble.

Last edited:
I highly doubt BB takes a look at Benson. Does Morris have anything left?

They are all cooked IMO. If they need another body at camp I'd just take Faulk back to help the kids.

I was never a fan of the Addai signing, so I'm fine with this move. I wouldn't mind the Pats picking up Knowshon Moreno is Denver cuts him (McDaniels drafted him, and he had Vereen's kind of run/pass versatility prior to his injury). And I'd be happy to see Brandon Bolden make the team.

This!

AS TO Addai, once a horse's ass always a Colt

Gregory Peck is yabbing and asks Sophia Loren if she was ever in the Boy Scouts.

She looks at him, pauses, and says, "I failed, the physical." Yeah, I bet she did.
I'll bet she could fail it today.

I'll bet Sophia as a cheer leader would add more pop to the running game than Addai. That's terrible for a RB to fail a test unless he's hurt.

Well, maybe this means Kevin Faulk is coming back or the UDFA is looking really good.
I have been saying that Kevin is done. Now I don't feel quite so sure but maybe the Addai cut was going to happen regardless of Kevin.

I do hope Kevin lost weight and is ready and able to contribute. I would really like that but I fear that he is done.

We should know shortly. Fingers crossed.

3RBs, 1 FB and a PS RB still seems to make sense.

I third that sentiment, I've had Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead and Larsen penciled in for a while now.

I third that sentiment, I've had Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead and Larsen penciled in for a while now.

I think that would be a pretty darn versatile group.

Adding Faulk to a backfield that already includes Woodhead and Vereen wouldn't make much sense IMO. Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, and one of the FB's and/or a downhill RB would be a better rounded group.

Moroney is coming back.

I see the Pats keeping only 4 RBs. I always thought that the Addai signing was more an insurance move in case they didn't like how Ridley and Vareen progressed this off season. I think after the mnicamps the Pats are happy with both of their progress. Vareen, Ridley and Woodhead will be the RB's and I think Eric Katani will surprise everyone and become the FB/ST's guy that fits what the Pats need in the backfield.

Of the 3 FB's fighting for that one slot Katani is the only one with a semblance of actual running ability, and is the one guy the Pats have on the roster who can be that big RB for certain situations. They've kept him around for a number of years now, on and off with his navy service. I think they like this kid and will give him every opportunity to make this team.

Boddin should make the PS and Faulk will be told to keep in shape and stay by the phone as a shadow roster player in case there are injuries. Maybe there can be a coaching internship for him in the meantime.

I like Bolden as having a different (heavy) running style than our top two. Maybe Faulk starts the season, who knows?

I'm still clueless about the need for four tight ends and a fullback who can't run short yardage, though.

If Vareen delivers on potential, I see Woodhead needing to prove he deserves the roster spot, though. With a stronger quick back/receiver, what versatility does the little guy offer. Sorry, but that's reality IMO.

Last edited:
If Vareen delivers on potential, I see Woodhead needing to prove he deserves the roster spot, though. With a stronger quick back/receiver, what versatility does the little guy offer. Sorry, but that's reality IMO.

Woodhead is by no means irreplaceable. But ...

1. He's the most experienced RB on the roster right now, with a very young RB group.

2. He provides insurance against Vereen getting injured and having no 3rd down back or really good receiving option out of the backfield.

3. He has some versatility on special teams, especially in the return game.

4. He has some versatility to line up out wide or in the slot.

5. He's the kind of smart, tough, high character kid who's proven himself against adversity that BB loves.

6. He was our best RB in the SuperBowl last year, and showed that he may have been off form for most of 2011.

Other than that, I can't think of much. Again, he's not irreplaceable, but someone's going to have to prove they can provide more value than that. Certainly Bolden and Kettani aren't proven to offer any of those things.

Well, that was quick...

The new guy / underdog / backup is always the most popular player - even when nobody has ever seen him play.

True, everyone always loves rooting for the UDFA RB, but Bolden also is not just any fodder UDFA. He was the top UDFA RB available who let his Senior year full of injuries and character issues totally screw his stock. Talent wise, I see him on par with Ridley and Vereen in the 2nd-3rd round range, plus he has good size at the position.

Last edited:
6. He was our best RB in the SuperBowl last year, and showed that he may have been off form for most of 2011.

This.

He and Hernandez were such beasts in that game. I really wish I could watch that game without wanting to claw my eyes out, b/c up until the injury, Brady was locked in and those two guys were huge.

I also wonder - and since I'm never going to watch that friggin game again - if they should've fed Woodhead more. I'd like to see him featured more in the gameplan when he's feeling it, rather than just a dumpoff guy. We forget how good this kid was in 2010. We remembered that night in February 2012. I don't know where he was all year, if it was injuries or what - but he could be featured more prominently next year.

Last edited:
I'm surprised by the cut as Addai brought versatility in the ability to be an every down back which would make him the perfect backup. I guess they expected their #4 RB to play ST, but if Woodhead goes down who is going to play 3rd downs?

I'm surprised by the cut as Addai brought versatility in the ability to be an every down back which would make him the perfect backup. I guess they expected their #4 RB to play ST, but if Woodhead goes down who is going to play 3rd downs?

Vereen seems likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back