PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joseph Addai is "More Explosive" than Edgerrin James?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SoonerPatriot said:
It's the same viewpoint many around here have had with Givens. Now that James is gone, Colts fans think he really wasn't the crucial of a player anyway. Same with Givens, now that he's gone, he went from being a solid, capable NFL WR to something resembling Dez White.
Faulty comparison. Edge is a Pro Bowl type who put up 1,500+ yards in 4 of his 5 fully healthy seasons. Givens is a decent #2 who has never reached the 60 catch or 900 yard milestone.

SoonerPatriot said:
It's the same viewpoint many around here have had with Givens. Now that James is gone, Colts fans think he really wasn't the crucial of a player anyway. Same with Givens, now that he's gone, he went from being a solid, capable NFL WR to something resembling Dez White.
You aren't seriously comparing the impact of James on the Colts offense and Givens on the Pats offense are you?

Because that is the lamest thing I have ever heard.

Anyway, I don't recall anyone here ever saying that Givens was not any good since he left. Only that he isn't a Number One receiver. That seems to be a pretty generous assessment of his time here, as the first year he was a STer, then a third-fourth wideout, then a Number Two.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
You aren't seriously comparing the impact of James on the Colts offense and Givens on the Pats offense are you?

Because that is the lamest thing I have ever heard.

Anyway, I don't recall anyone here ever saying that Givens was not any good since he left. Only that he isn't a Number One receiver. That seems to be a pretty generous assessment of his time here, as the first year he was a STer, then a third-fourth wideout, then a Number Two.

Where did I say I was comparing Givens to James? I don't think I did. I'm not sure he's a No. 1 guy myself. What I said was that when a player leaves a team via free agency, it's common for fans to minimize the impact of losing that player.

I'm of the belief Reche Caldwell is a stiff and we're going to miss Givens to some degree this season. How much? Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
IMHO, James made that offense run. LB's couldn't cheat and play the pass because of how talented Edge was. They will miss him big time. Expect Peyton to have a lot more interceptions this year since teams will be dropping back moreso than before. I can't see how anyone can be more explosive than James, especially a rookie.
This is exactly what i believe, 100%.

All this "explosive" talk about big-play ability and agility and that causing him to make more big plays 20+ yards is ridiculously premature.

Too bad James injured his knee and lost a step (a little one, if that). I would love to see a comparison of their combine times for the 40, cone drill, etc. I know obviously that james has been in the league for a while so it wouldn't be the best way to compare but it would be interesting. That was we can see how much more "explosive" Addai is than James.

i just dont see it though. I heard KiJana Carter and Rashaan Salam were pretty explosive back in the day, how did that turn out?

SoonerPatriot said:
Where did I say I was comparing Givens to James? I don't think I did. I'm not sure he's a No. 1 guy myself. What I said was that when a player leaves a team via free agency, it's common for fans to minimize the impact of losing that player.

I'm of the belief Reche Caldwell is a stiff and we're going to miss Givens to some degree this season. How much? Only time will tell.
Right. You compared the leaving of James to the leaving of Givens. Go back and read what you wrote. James. Givens. If all you were doing is comapring the loss of a player to FA, why didn't you use Matt Chatham? Anser: Because you don't equate the loss of Chatham to James, only the loss of Givens.

Anyway, no one has minimized the impact of Givens. He was a good player. He sucked his first year, but came on. For a seventh round pick he was magnificent. But he isn't the guy who will make or break a team. He just isn't.

Givens will be missed, but not as much as Ted Washington, or Lawyer Milloy, or ....

What happens is the Opposite of what you are saying. Doomsayers attribute magical qualities to every player that leaves the Pats, and believes that every new player coming in is a stiff.

Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope.

spacecrime said:
Right. You compared the leaving of James to the leaving of Givens. Go back and read what you wrote. James. Givens. If all you were doing is comapring the loss of a player to FA, why didn't you use Matt Chatham? Anser: Because you don't equate the loss of Chatham to James, only the loss of Givens.

Anyway, no one has minimized the impact of Givens. He was a good player. He sucked his first year, but came on. For a seventh round pick he was magnificent. But he isn't the guy who will make or break a team. He just isn't.

Givens will be missed, but not as much as Ted Washington, or Lawyer Milloy, or ....

What happens is the Opposite of what you are saying. Doomsayers attribute magical qualities to every player that leaves the Pats, and believes that every new player coming in is a stiff.

Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope.

Chatham wasn't a starter. Never was.

I never attributed any magical qualities to Givens. I said he was a solid, capable NFL WR, which he is.

The fact is, when a starter leaves a team it's common for fans to try to minimize that loss, whether it be Givens, James, AV or fill in the blank. Been over to the Colts board? They're doing that with James. Suddenly Addai is his equal in some people's eyes, which is of course absurd.

I guess I missed the part where the losses of Washington and Milloy hurt the team. The way I remember it is we won SBs the season after each of those players departed in 2003 and 2004.

I don't know if Givens is a make or break type player. The effect of his loss is an unknown quanity at this point. If Caldwell steps up and Jackson can contribute to some degree he probably won't be missed. But if Caldwell plays like he has the last few years and Jackson can't contribute much, it's fair to say he will be missed more than we think in July.

Last edited:
I think thats a pretty fair statement Sooner. But you've gotta admit, if you read your original post, it *did* read like you were comparing the impact of Edge to the impact of Givens.

IT probably wasn't your original intent, but thats how it read to me at least. Your actual point, as described in the above post, seems much more believable. In fact I wouldn't argue that teams in general tend to try and minimize the impact of their departed players. Sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong. You see it in every sport. A lot of it does depend on who is stepping in as a replacement. I think that with Givens, the impact that needs replacing is smaller, and due to the nature of our offense, the responsibility can be spread and doesn't have to rely on Reece or CJ.

But this topic has been beaten to death on the board by now.....lets go back to talking about how much worse the Colts will be next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back