PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joseph Addai is "More Explosive" than Edgerrin James?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joseph Addai will be for Indy what Brian Westbrook is for Philly. He'll catch alot of balls, bursh through holes that his line gives him, and outrun slower defenders in the open field. He'll also gain 45 yards on 20 carries against a top run defense, and he won't be respected near the goal line.

He may be more explosive than Edge but he's not a better RB and blocker and all round football player than Edge is IMO.

stinkypete said:
Joseph Addai will be for Indy what Brian Westbrook is for Philly. He'll catch alot of balls, bursh through holes that his line gives him, and outrun slower defenders in the open field. He'll also gain 45 yards on 20 carries against a top run defense, and he won't be respected near the goal line.
Thats a pretty bold statement. You might be right, but hope he doesn't end up that good. I think Westbrook is great and often overlooked but that has been changing over the last couple of years. If you look at Mcnabb and Westbrook and then the receivers they had (before To) and other offensive players, you can really see how great Mcnabb and Westbrook are. Those 2 basically carried that team for years offensively when guys like "fredex" and Todd Pinkston or James Thrash are dropping balls and barely getting by. This is why I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles win the NFC East again.

If he ends up as good as Westbrook on the Colts, i think some teams are in trouble.

BelichickFan said:
Maybe by explosive they're thinking of the opposing DL exploding into Peyton's face after Addai misses a block.

I don't care who your RB is, if you have to rely on him to block a DL, you're flat out screwed.

huskeralk said:
I don't care who your RB is, if you have to rely on him to block a DL, you're flat out screwed.
The DL could be a DE or a DT, and the RB most certainly IS relied upon to block them. One of the jobs of a RB to pick up the defensive end rushing the QB. And if the defenseive end and defensive tackle run a stunt where the loop around each other, then the RB is still responsible for the rushing defensive lineman, which is now a DT. In fact, some teams like the patriots sometimes put a NT on the end to rush the passer. I've seen Wilfork play DE several times.

The RB doesn't have to pancake a DL. It isn't power vs power. THe RB must use techique to misdirect or cut the pass rushing DL. This takes experience, and is why some great college RBs (like Cedric Cobbs) struggle in the NFL.

And all rookies, Maroney and Addai included, need a bit of time to learn new techniques and pass protection schemes. To me, this is the biggest disadvantage the Colts have with Addai. No time to let him learn.

The Pats can use maroney on running plays and occasisional pass play to get him used to pass protection, and still have Dillon to use when the protectin scheme is complicated or is a critical play. The Colts must use Addai right from the get-go.

drpatriot said:
I don't know where people are getting this idea that Joseph Addai is a big play threat. His longest run last year was merely 30 yards. He had a "big play" (15+ yards) in 6 out of 13 games, and had a rushing long of less than 10 yards in 5 games against gems such as North Texas and Appalachian State - not exactly what I call a big-play threat.

In comparison, Edgerrin James had big plays in 9 out of 16 of the games in which he played. He had a rushing long of less than ten yards once in this time span.

Conclusion: Edgerrin James is more explosive than Addai.

In addition, Edgerrin seems to be more consistent. He had a subpar performance (more that one yard below the year's average) 3 times in 16 games. Addai had a subpar performance 5 times in 13 games, showing more variance in his stats and, therefore, less consistency.

Conclusion: Edgerrin James is also more consistent than Addai.

Edge is just better, in both

Other notables about Addai (with comparisons to Maroney, to make us feel better :D ):
-Addai had a 4.9 YPC average, ranking 96th in the NCAA. (Maroney had a 5.2 and was 67th)
-Addai only had 911 yards rushing, ranking 54th. (Maroney had 1464 and was 6th)
-Addai ranked below 150th with his rushing long of 30 (Maroney ranked 1st with a rushing long of 93)
-When facing the best run defense in college football last year (Ohio St.), Maroney had a 5.1 ypc average. When facing the 5th best run defense in college football last year (Florida), Addai had a 4.9 ypc average.
-While Addai only had 6 games with a rushing long of 15+ yards, Maroney had 9, and no games had a rush long of less than 5 yards (Addai had 3). Maroney also had 5 games where his rushing long was over 30 yards, Addai's season rushing long. Talk about a big play threat!

Though stats are important, they don't tell the whole story. I believe Addai had to share the load with 2 other guys who are draft eligible next year. Also, I think a lot of us Pats fans were hoping to get Addai in the second round and pick Jackson (or a LB) in the first. We were pretty excited about him as a prospect, so I don't understand all of the negative attitude towards Addai. He's a fine prospect, with decent size and good speed, so he might wind up as an explosive back. He is also more well rounded than our young Mr Maroney (Addai is good at picking up the blitz, and a very good receiver).

I think Maroney will turn out to be the better player, but it's too early to claim that Maroney will be a star, and Addai won't.

who's joseph addai?

maverick4 said:
Based on those college production stats (thanks for pulling them up), I'm going go ahead and call Addai a bust already. He will be a bust because he is nowhere as good as Edge or Maroney, and expectations for him are already so high over there.

Who cares how fast someone's 40 time is? Addai runs fast with no one around him in shorts, and never had a big play past 30 yards. The important stat is how many big runs a RB pulled off DURING GAMES. Jerry Rice ran a 4.60 but he was a complete stud in actual football games.

Vinatieri may set a top 10 all-time points record this year, with the amount of times the Colts drive past the 30 and have to settle for a field goal.
this boy addai hasn't carried the ball even one time in the nfl. he hasn't caught one pass. he hasn't even been popped on a TC field yet.
explosive?
what they're doing is trying to replace a proven veteran ballcarrier with an untested rookie. the veteran is an excellent 3-tool RB: run, catch, & block.
if they're calling addai explosive in indy, it just goes to show what their problem is. trying to talkandtalk things into being better than they are, just by wishing it so. i need to see mr explosive break a 4-yard gain for 20 yds before those kind of adjectives start coming to mind.

I think the Colts are just saying that so it will help the fans get over the loss of Edgerin James.

Stats are hard to compare in football

Comparing Addai and Maroney is very difficult. Addia played on grass behind an OL that really had only one decent player (Whitworth). Addia played in the SEC, a league with some very tough and extremely fast defenses.

Maroney had Ensinger and Setterstrom in his OL and he played on a much faster surface. And while the big 10 is a decent conference, it's not the SEC.

Granted however Maroney saw 8 or 9 in the box on almost every play, where Addai didn't command that type of respect in the SEC.

The one area I think Maroney clearly has the advantage over Addai is in vision. Maroney has superb vision and that is going to make him a much greater threat every time he touches the ball.

One thing to rememeber is Addai plays special teams, and that is huge for the Colts.

Keegs said:
Ok i have read this in many places since the NFL Draft. People (mostly Colts fans) say that Joseph Addai is more explosive than Edgerrin James as a running back. They say that they lost a good back in James but Addai is young and "explosive", more so than James, and will fit the team fine.

Can someone please give me a precise definition of the word "explosive" when applying it to NFL Running Backs??

How is Addai more Explosive than James??

I've been wondering what the hell this means for a long time, any help would be appreciated. My guess is that the word is made up garbage that is thrown around like b.s. when people can't think of anything else to say about a running back.

"People (mostly Colts fans) "......this just about says it all about this horsesh##............puh-leese....

The colts fans are typical idiots, saying their rookie running back, who obviously is a question mark is more explosive then a running back who has been a great part of their success. Idiots.

Mannings Career Statistics.

Year G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
1998 16 16 575 326 56.7 3739 6.50 78 26 28 22/109 42 8 71.2
1999 16 16 533 331 62.1 4135 7.76 80 26 15 14/116 56 11 90.7
2000 16 16 571 357 62.5 4413 7.73 78 33 15 20/131 51 8 94.7
2001 16 16 547 343 62.7 4131 7.55 86 26 23 29/232 55 11 84.1
2002 16 16 591 392 66.3 4200 7.11 69 27 19 23/145 51 11 88.8
2003 16 16 566 379 67.0 4267 7.54 79 29 10 18/107 45 9 99.0
2004 16 16 497 336 67.6 4557 9.17 80 49 10 13/101 68 13 121.1
2005 16 16 453 305 67.3 3747 8.27 80 28 10 17/81 45 6 104.1
TOTAL 128 128 4333 2769 63.9 33189 7.66 86 244 130 156/1022 413 77 93.5

2001 the year Edge was hurt, was by far the worst season of Mannings career other than his rookie year, despite having a 1000 yard rusher in Dominic Rhodes. You could argue that Rhodes has more big play ability than Edge, but he cleary is not the back that Edge is.

A closer look at the game logs from that year reveal an even more startling view of the Colts offense without Edge. During the first 6 games of the year, before Edge was injured, Manning managed a 100 + rating 3 times. In the final 10 games of the year, Manning only managed 1 more 100 + rating, that happened to be a home game against one of the worst teams in the league that year, the pre Michael Vick Falcons.

Mannings second worst year of his career was the next season after Edge came back from surgery. It is widely recognized that knee surgeries usually will not allow a player to get back to full speed until the second year after the surgery, and Edge's stats that year bear that out. 2002 was expectedly his worst non-injury season of his career, where he did not break 1000 yards for the only time in his career and only averaged 3.6 ypc, an entire .6 yards per carry less than his career average.

Edge's Career Stats:

Year G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD
1999 16 16 369 1553 4.2 72 13 9 79
2000 16 16 387 1709 4.4 30 13 9 99
2001 6 6 151 662 4.4 29 3 5 40
2002 14 14 277 989 3.6 20 2 3 56
2003 13 13 310 1259 4.1 43 11 3 83
2004 16 16 334 1548 4.6 40 9 6 73
2005 15 15 360 1506 4.2 33 13 5 94
TOTAL 96 96 2188 9226 4.2 72 64 40 524

Yep, Manning and the Colts won't miss Edge, and won't miss a beat.

Explosive, meaning he has a serious gas problem. Farts like an old man on a prune diet. I predict he'll be doing BEANO commercials by year three.

Addai is a hype as i read in a article that they are letting him learn only 1/2 the plays as to make him usuable from the get go.But some reports are says he is having hard time getting the plays.

i am going to reserve judgement till he plays which is going to sooner as rhodes is injury prone .

i feel bad for him though without an 1 yr to learn and getting used to , he is going to put under the bus from day 1.i can see peyton blamming the lack of running game for his losses by week 7 -8.

Last edited:
Keegs said:
Ok i have read this in many places since the NFL Draft. People (mostly Colts fans) say that Joseph Addai is more explosive than Edgerrin James as a running back. They say that they lost a good back in James but Addai is young and "explosive", more so than James, and will fit the team fine.

Can someone please give me a precise definition of the word "explosive" when applying it to NFL Running Backs??

How is Addai more Explosive than James??

I've been wondering what the hell this means for a long time, any help would be appreciated. My guess is that the word is made up garbage that is thrown around like b.s. when people can't think of anything else to say about a running back.

IMHO, James made that offense run. LB's couldn't cheat and play the pass because of how talented Edge was. They will miss him big time. Expect Peyton to have a lot more interceptions this year since teams will be dropping back moreso than before. I can't see how anyone can be more explosive than James, especially a rookie.

satz said:
i feel bad for him though without an 1 yr to learn and getting in he is going to put under the bus from day 1.i can see peyton blamming lack the running game for his losses by week 7 -8.
Alas, probably true. But someone has to be the goat. Especially since the lack of homefield advantage is no longer the missing piece.

Well, I don't know about Addai, but I'm sold on Maroney. I watched him tear our arses up for years at Minnesota, and he's amazing. A rare combination of speed and vision, without the hesitancy.

James was a huge part of the Colts Offense and nothing the Colt fans can say will change that. Fine if Addai ends up being a great back, but it won't happen overnight.

How come everyone thought that Curtis Martin was so much better on the Pats than A. Smith? They both had the same YPC avg.(Smith a flat 3.8 and Curtis a higher 3.8) Why because Defenses were scared of Martin so that opened up the passing lanes and allowed play action and stuff to work. In 2001 Smith had a 4.0 but he D's still did not "respect" our running game. Smith was a stud in the playoffs but the were not keying on him...which would make sense since we had a "rookie" QB, why because they weren't scared of him. Brady still didn't have a lot of time and we "dink and dunked" our way to victory.

Our play action didn't get real good until Dillon got here...why because teams D's are scared of Dillon IMO...REPUTATION

Addai has NO REPUTATION and everything coming out of camp is not good. In the NFL if one player is out of position the play blows up...it sounds like Addai might be playing the bench since his 40 speed won't matter if he misses a blitz pick up.....actually he won't because he won't be in there on passing plays because Manning doesn't want to get killed. SO it will be one more tip off for the D. Oppossing D's will not be suckered in regardless on play action with Addai like they would with James.

The Colts were 7-9 without James playing and as another posted Manning had one of his worst seasons...even with the great Rhodes running for over a 1,000 that the sports writers keep holding up that the Colts won't miss a beat without James because they already have a 1,000 yard back.

Yeah, how'd that work out for ya last time dolt fans?

At a week 7 press conference...

Peyton Manning: "I'm trying to be a team player here, but let's just say we had some running problems."

I'm thinking the rest of Manning's career will look something like this: perennial 9-7 or 10-6 teams, around 28 td's and 20 int's per year.

It's the same viewpoint many around here have had with Givens. Now that James is gone, Colts fans think he really wasn't the crucial of a player anyway. Same with Givens, now that he's gone, he went from being a solid, capable NFL WR to something resembling Dez White.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back