PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jordan Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.
He hasn't looked out of place out there. There was a play after the Pats hit 44 where Bortles was trying to reach the edge. A group of Pats was pursuing and Jordan Richards was taking too sharp of an angle. Sheard realized it and chipped Richards wide so that he was taking the proper angle.
That sounds like a cool play to watch again - when did it happen in the game?

Lumping Harmon and Wilson in the same sentence is silly. Harmon is playing well at Saftey, stealing starter reps from Chung and playing as a 2nd FS. He had a clutch INT against the Ravens and has started this year well.

Richards making a great heads up play on a ball that he was beat on is an OK sign. However I would temper any criticism of Harmon at this stage as he has been playing quite well.

Last edited:
Lumping Harmon and Wilson in the same sentence is stupid. Harmon is playing well at Saftey, stealing starter reps from Chung and playing as a 2nd FS. He had a clutch INT against the Ravens and has started this year well.

Richards making a great heads up play on a ball that he was beat on is an OK sign. However I would temper any criticism of Harmon at this stage as he has been playing quite well.

People have no idea how to rate safeties mostly because what they are doing is invisible on most plays. There is still a ****ton of people who consider DMac to be overpayed and overrated.

People have no idea how to rate safeties mostly because what they are doing is invisible on most plays. There is still a ****ton of people who consider DMac to be overpayed and overrated.

Saftey play for me starts at... don't get beat deep. Then don't make the same mistake twice.

This is where the justified criticism of Wilson comes in. The guy was beat deep consistently and with the same play. That's not what you want. luckily he has proven to be a good in the box backup and ST guy.

Harmon and Richards are 2 different safeties. Harmon plays much deeper, while Richards plays more closer to the line. Harmon gets the job done, and has been since he got here. I was really impressed with Richards. If Chung is not brought back next year, he's gonna be the reason why.

Harmon is a solid FS. He missed that tackle on the TD pass, but other than that, I don't recall him making too many bone headed plays the past 2 years.

Opinions vary as to whether he should have broken up that miracle Kearse catch in the Super Bowl. I lean toward "No", but could still be persuaded the other way.

Chung has done a (surprisingly) good job covering TEs since he has been back. when they re-signed him, I ASSuMEd that it was to be a back up and play Special teams. but he has been a starter since he got back and while he is no Ed Reed, he has been more than serviceable. Harmon has a couple of huge INTs, but he is inconsistent at best. I thought Richards flashed a little on Sunday, it's early let's see how he pans out. But if anyone, Richards is replacing Chung and not Harmon.

With so many teams looking for safety help,I'm amazed that BB hasn't been able to trade away Wilson for a bag of beans.

So once and that was last game? I Just don't remember him ever out of place or giving up negative plays
I am a fan of Harmon overall, actually I even think Wilson does a number of things very well too. I just pointed out that over the first few years the other younger safeties were not always in the right place or taking the right angles. Richards seems to know what where he needs to be on every play, which is refreshing and great to see for a player so young.

Harmon is good as a deep safety, I think he is the ideal backup for McCourty.

Harmon is a solid FS. He missed that tackle on the TD pass, but other than that, I don't recall him making too many bone headed plays the past 2 years.

He reads plays well, and has the speed to cover ground.

Chung is a better run defender than Richards.
Richards was in the backfield on a few plays in run support faster than our DL..

Opinions vary as to whether he should have broken up that miracle Kearse catch in the Super Bowl. I lean toward "No", but could still be persuaded the other way.
Jumping over him was dumb.

He should have tackled him as the ball was live

Really liking Richards, but as for Harmon...all the guy does is make big picks (Ravens last year).

I have confidence the Pats will figure it out. Problem is, with Harmon, Richards, Chung, Wilson, and Ryan, they have four safeties behind McCourty, because I really think Ryan would be better suited at safety.

FOUR (as you say) - Chung, Harmon, Richards, Wilson

Posters can call Ryan a safety as many times as they wish. It WILL NOT happen. Belichick had McCourty, Harmon and Chung, and Wilson (& Ebner). He was all set at safety, especially if Ryan is a safety. By drafting Richards, I think that Belichick made it quite clear that Ryan is staying at corner.

And just BTW, Ryan started at outside corner on Sunday. He has move ahead of McClain (cut), Fletcher (inactive) and Brown (injured).

It all depends on when he needed to make the decision as to what he'd do, and how afraid he was of drawing a penalty if he went low unnecessarily.

That said, I think Harmon should perhaps have dived low over Kearse rather than jumping high, planning to "touch" him down rather than tackle him with oomph. Except -- maybe he wasn't coached to take that option.

Last edited:

He should have went for the ball, Jumping over him was pointless but I think if he hits him and he doesn't catch it he gets flagged. As a penalty was not reviewable it would have cost yards anyway. He could have picked it and it been game over then. I prefer the ending we got though.

Coming from Stanford I would expect Richards to be a "smart football player".. remember some accolades from a Stanford Coach who called him a "coach on the field".....

Problem is, with Harmon, Richards, Chung, Wilson, and Ryan, they have four safeties behind McCourty, because I really think Ryan would be better suited at safety.

Five with Ebner. And before you say he's just a ST hog, then really so is Wilson. Ebner gets snaps on D in garbage time too.

Key for me tho is that Richards and Harmon play very different roles. Harmon plays deep cover Center Field, and Richards plays a Chung-type role of a nickle LB / in the box SS. This is a role that BB created that he recruited John Lynch to come and play (see the recent interview with Lynch on his relationship with Belichick).

Harmon is badly suited to do that, getting bumped by pulling OGs and bullied by TEs on crossing patterns; and Richards would probably struggle in deep center, without better straight line speed. Luckily their jobs are each better suited to what their suited for.

Richards and Chung are the reason we generally only field Collins and Hightower at LB, with former All Pro Mayo on the bench. It's become a passing league and, although stopping the run is great, stopping the pass is harder than ever.

If not a tackle, he should have got his hands in there to break everything up

"Ha ha ha ha...it's just one game. Let's just calm down before we crown him. I am not nervous. There is nothing to be nervous about. Absolutely nothing. Just a fluke."

-Mel Kiper

No doubt that Harmon is more athletic, but I think Sanders had better football intelligence and leadership ability. As a matter of fact, those two positives helped to mask all of his athletic deficiencies.
Bingo. After the draft, I got ripped on a bit by comparing Richards to Sanders, but that's who he compares to. Less athletic safeties whose football intelligence masks for those deficiencies.

Bingo. After the draft, I got ripped on a bit by comparing Richards to Sanders, but that's who he compares to. Less athletic safeties whose football intelligence masks for those deficiencies.

No one wants to call a 2nd rounder "less athletic" right after the draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back