PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jones and Hightower fined

Status
Not open for further replies.
B---S---

"Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

- Mark Cuban on the future of the NFL

Maybe that's the point, essentially back dooring the `new NFL` through fining players for playing football. It would certainly be much easier to implement new flag football rules in five years if fines have already beat defensive players into submission.

Agreed. I think that basically is it. The NFL wants a kinder, gentler game. To get it they aren't going to make sharp changes in course that would get the widest of attention and possibly take a hit to revenue. To get it they are making changes in course with as much subtlety as possible, using murky changes to how officiating is performed and how fines are doled out.
The fine along with where the game in general is headed is BS.

Hightower should appeal. That was exactly what the league has said it wants. It's one thing for a ref to blow a call when overemphasizing a point-of-emphasis in week 1, but for the league office to double-down on the call with a fine, when they have the benefit of video review is an outright abuse of power.

B---S---

"Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

- Mark Cuban on the future of the NFL
How's this relate to "Player safety" though? I think we'll see what he's talking about when 18 game season and bigger playoffs happen.

I understand trying to make the game safer and taking out low blows to Qbs and head shots but tapping a QB on the helmet or a guy like Hightower making a textbook tackle? If Hightower's is roughing the passer then we should have gotten like a 100 flags for everytime Brady was touched.

I don't really buy the conspiracy angle. In fact, I think the opposite is happening. The league has lost control in its zeal to cater to the various squeaky wheels around. Player safety, public perception of player morality, profits, contracts, labor deals; all of these things cause different types of tension, and the league, headed by the fearless ****dell, is ripping itself apart trying to manage the various demands placed upon it.

I don't see a well-oiled machine and conspiracy. I see a league that has lost control of its own direction.

I'm beginning #FireGoodell isn't good enough now. I now think he should be fielding punt returns for the Raiders (or maybe Jets would be more appropriate).

I really can't understand the fines.

Hightower should appeal. That was exactly what the league has said it wants. It's one thing for a ref to blow a call when overemphasizing a point-of-emphasis in week 1, but for the league office to double-down on the call with a fine, when they have the benefit of video review is an outright abuse of power.

I've often wondered what the hell people look at on here when they watch GIF's and videos over and over and over again. You really can't lie with video in this league simply because it tends to cover all angles of any given play. That said, I guess that problem doesn't apply only to this forum. I guess it applies to the league. All three of those hits were absolutely clean. Hightower's especially so. How the league saw anything more than a form tackle there is absolutely beyond me. I guess they have Mr. Magoo reviewing the film of all of the questionable hits.

I've often wondered what the hell people look at on here when they watch GIF's and videos over and over and over again. You really can't lie with video in this league simply because it tends to cover all angles of any given play. That said, I guess that problem doesn't apply only to this forum. I guess it applies to the league. All three of those hits were absolutely clean. Hightower's especially so. How the league saw anything more than a form tackle there is absolutely beyond me. I guess they have Mr. Magoo reviewing the film of all of the questionable hits.
I don't think it has to do with competence in film review. I think it's a political/PR statement by the league to mindlessly and heavy-handedly back officials who make any type of personal foul call. Those receivers and quarterbacks are just too purty not to protect.

I don't think it has to do with competence in film review. I think it's a political/PR statement by the league to mindlessly and heavy-handedly back officials who make any type of personal foul call. Those receivers and quarterbacks are just too purty not to protect.

Plus, God forbid the league misses an opportunity to get a dime.

Nice job Roger.

You made videotaping from a location that's only improper because it doesn't have a roof into the crime of the century.

You made an entire franchise pay heavily because some its players targeted opponents for big hits on the field.

And you've enforced a fine structure penalizing players — for, you know, tackling and other football things that are at the core of the game — that is so out of proportion that you cannot respond properly when things like Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson happen.

Accountability is an important thing. And safety of players is important. But you're going too far for the wrong types of things. You are taking a great game and making it into something else. Your excessive and disproportionate fines are tarnishing the image of the league rather than protecting it. I don't see how that protects the shield.

I am spending Saturday evening watching college football.....

Far more entertaining and far fewer flags....

This is the way football was meant to be played....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back