PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonathan Cooper released

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was reported on Tre in March:

Patriots RG Tre' Jackson underwent a knee scope earlier this offseason.
Jackson's knee injury sidelined him for both of New England's playoff games in 2015. He could miss time in OTAs but should be fine for the regular season. Jackson made nine starts at right guard as a rookie.

He can come back after next weeks game, by some reports eligible to join team at practice from this Friday

Although OLB Pernell McPhee (PUP list) is ineligible to play this week vs. Jacksonville, the Bears could elect to begin his 21-day practice window on Friday.

And just to round Cooper's story cap/cost wise:

I guess BB sees more value in Scruggs than Cooper.

It is what is is.

Without Cooper, even Kline who was released few weeks ago (heard he's playing well at the moment) and no idea when/if Tre' Jackson returns - I'm a little worried about our Guard depth. Karras is the only backup and it's a little strange that we have a guy like Scruggs as our 4th TE while that roster spot can be used for someone who can actually contribute in a time of need.

So Cleveland had the #1 waiver wire position as the only winless team entering the weekend. I wonder if anyone else put a claim on Cooper? Curious to see if he had any additional value around the league at his salary.

Without Cooper, even Kline who was released few weeks ago (heard he's playing well at the moment) and no idea when/if Tre' Jackson returns - I'm a little worried about our Guard depth. Karras is the only backup and it's a little strange that we have a guy like Scruggs as our 4th TE while that roster spot can be used for someone who can actually contribute in a time of need.

There is Barker on PS who was at the end of preseason considered as better RG option than Karras (but Karras has versatility to back up C). They added G Chase Farris to PS a few days ago. In retrospect one could see connection with Cooper move (and the fact they were prepared he is claimed). I hope it is not connected to further complications with Jackson's knee.

Some projected Jackson back at the beginning of the season. Maybe Pats took it conservatively since they had enough depth at the time (Kline was still on the team). Hopefully we get some news this Friday when he is supposedly eligible to return to practice with the team from PUP.

He would have easily netted the Pat's a 3rd round comp pick, plus another year of his impact plays while Brady is still the QB. It was a awful trade, now that Cooper was cut, the cap savings (between what they would have had to pay Chandler, and the dead money if Cooper) is less than 5 million, it becomes a God awful trade.

Sorry, FTW, but it's not a god awful trade. You're making a huge assumption that the Patriots would have gotten a 2018 3rd round comp pick from Jones. Just like everyone else who thumps the Comp pick table, you forget that the Pats have to lose more eligible free agents than they sign for them to get the comp pick. And with the amount of cap space they are projected to have along with having to replace the players they lose, that's not a guarantee.

The Pats opened up $7.79M in cap space with the trade of Chandler Jones. That is money the Pats used to sign the likes of Chris Long. Yes, 2.4M of that went to cooper, but with the Browns claimning Cooper, that number drops down by 477K .. roughly 5.86M in cap space was freed up.

Now, add to that Thuney and Mitchell with the $5.86M and it's not as bad of trade as you make it out to be. Especially since Thuney is looking like he could be a perennial starter for a long time to come.

There is Barker on PS who was at the end of preseason considered as better RG option than Karras (but Karras has versatility to back up C). They added G Chase Farris to PS a few days ago. In retrospect one could see connection with Cooper move (and the fact they were prepared he is claimed). I hope it is not connected to further complications with Jackson's knee.

Some projected Jackson back at the beginning of the season. Maybe Pats took it conservatively since they had enough depth at the time (Kline was still on the team). Hopefully we get some news this Friday when he is supposedly eligible to return to practice with the team from PUP.

Barker was not a better RG than Karras. Barker also had the versatility to back-up at center because he's done so in the past.

Barker was not a better RG than Karras. Barker also had the versatility to back-up at center because he's done so in the past.

1. Barker got more snaps in the last couple of preseason games. He looked slightly better to my eye. And Karras was one of my binkies. They are both RGs in the making. The drop from Mason to them would still be big.
2. Karras was repeatedly reported to take snaps at C in preseason. Can't remember the same about Barker.

1. Barker got more snaps in the last couple of preseason games. He looked slightly better to my eye. And Karras was one of my binkies. They are both RGs in the making. The drop from Mason to them would still be big.
2. Karras was repeatedly reported to take snaps at C in preseason. Can't remember the same about Barker.

Barker was a back-up center behind Wendell and Connolly for the Pats 3 years ago when he spent the year on the roster. Barker has taken snaps at OG and OT as well. Barker was actually behind Karras on the depth chart going into the last 2 games. It's why Karras made the team and Barker didn't.

Karras was a RT in college and being groomed as a RG and C. Yes, Karras took snaps at center during training camp. I never said otherwise. I was pointing out to you that Barker had been a back-up at C previously and had taken snaps there.

Wow, just when you think things can't get any worse for Cooper he ends up on the Browns.

Suppose:
  • The Browns take a quick look at Cooper and then cut him.
  • Either he passes through waivers that time, or else ...
  • ... one or more other teams do the same as the Browns (quick look and then cut).
The upshot would be that the Patriots dumped his salary, yet would still be in the mix for a chance to sign him at (presumably) minimum money.

And just to round Cooper's story cap/cost wise:

BB is a smart man. He seems to hold onto the player he wants to waive until there are injuries on other teams at the same position. If the player gets claimed then I think the Patriots are not on the hook for salary for reminder of the year ?

I doubt any team claims him, unless it is a playoff team with a gaping hole in their OL that suddenly needs to be filled.

His best chance is to sign on with Pats and continue learning under Scar.

Not looking real promising for Cooper right now.

It's a real shame since he was such a good looking prospect coming out of college.

BB is a smart man. He seems to hold onto the player he wants to waive until there are injuries on other teams at the same position. If the player gets claimed then I think the Patriots are not on the hook for salary for reminder of the year ?

Once you're claimed off waivers, the team claiming you is responsible for the contract going forward.

SIGN THE BEAST!

Oops, we already tried that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back