PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonathan Cooper released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even without Cooper ever contributing anything, and basically just being a $2.4M hit on the cap, I still like the trade. We effectively traded one year of Jones for a net cap savings of $5.4M (Jones' cap hit minus Cooper's), plus the draft pick that ended up turning into Thuney and Mitchell.

I also think the Bennett trade flowed from this one in a way that's been underreported a bit. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Pats traded for Bennett--and his $5.2M cap hit--the day after freeing up $5.4M of cap space on the Cooper/Jones trade.

Combine the trades, and you have the Pats giving up a 4th and Chandler Jones for Thuney, Mitchell, and Bennett. I don't mind that at all, given that re-signing Jones wasn't going to happen anyway.

Releasing a guy on Saturday is telling. Teams can't easily bring him in now with games getting ready to start on Sunday. Maybe this is what you do when you are hoping the player clears waivers and you can get him back.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
That sucks I was hoping he would help us out. We most likely are going to need O line help at the end of the season. But if he sucks or just cant stay on the field its pointless to keep him on the roster.

But we did trade away one of our best first rounders for him.......

Because they knew they would never be able to re sign him and had depth at the position, if Thuney and Mitchell end up being as good as it appears they could be it was a great deal regardless of Cooper.

don't you think that should generate a first round pick?

Not if history is any guide. Doing a quick search through a couple engines, zero responses of DE garnering first round picks in return for trade. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but unlike QBs where ROI is hard to find, DEs production are relatively able to be replicated across the league. Almost every team has at least one at or near double digit sack player whether at DE, DL or OLB. It's a skill that can be found much more easily than other positions, hence lower trade value.

Thanks for your praise of jones, I was a huge fan of jones when we drafted him. He made the pro bowl for us, he came up through our system. No one else's. I do and always will love the guy. Let's give the man his due respect for all he did for our franchise. We won a Super Bowl with him as a starter.

Your making it sound like he had any impact on that SB when in reality he was invisible for the last two months of the season as usual.

He was a good player for the money he was earning on a rookie contract but there is no way I will pay him premium money for the above average impact he has just because of his cumulative stats.

So, all in all it was a great move to send him to Arizona for a 2nd round pick.

Even without Cooper ever contributing anything, and basically just being a $2.4M hit on the cap, I still like the trade. We effectively traded one year of Jones for a net cap savings of $5.4M (Jones' cap hit minus Cooper's), plus the draft pick that ended up turning into Thuney and Mitchell.

I also think the Bennett trade flowed from this one in a way that's been underreported a bit. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Pats traded for Bennett--and his $5.2M cap hit--the day after freeing up $5.4M of cap space on the Cooper/Jones trade.

Combine the trades, and you have the Pats giving up a 4th and Chandler Jones for Thuney, Mitchell, and Bennett. I don't mind that at all, given that re-signing Jones wasn't going to happen anyway.

It was made with Bennett in mind, and thank you for being the voice of reason in this thread.

Releasing a guy on Saturday is telling. Teams can't easily bring him in now with games getting ready to start on Sunday. Maybe this is what you do when you are hoping the player clears waivers and you can get him back.

Bingo.

BB was asked a few years ago about managment of the "shadow roster" during the season and also during cuts at the end of TC and got into the details of how often its a deliberate but risky decision to release a player you dont really want to lose for a short term need.

This looks like one of those moves.

"You cannot make the club from the tub"...

A clear example of why the Draft is a roll of the dice..

They wouldn't release him if they wanted him on the team.
Sure they would they could sign him to a multi year deal at a very low cost.

Pretty clear this move was to get DL depth with Hamilton after Valentine was downgraded to out for today's game.

Would have to assume Cooper is resigned and Hamilton released after the game ends, should he clear waivers.

"You cannot make the club from the tub"...

A clear example of why the Draft is a roll of the dice..

As is the case with bringing in Cooper, that was also a roll of the dice. Everyone agreed that the Interior OL was a problem last year for a variety of reasons (injuries, lack of cohesiveness, perhaps coaching).

What does BB do? First, he brings in Scar. Then, before the draft (a key point), he trades Jones for a 2nd and Cooper, who was a former highly drafted guard who has was seemingly always injured and had disappointed. A month or so later, he drafts guards in the 3rd and 5th. All three of these personnel moves were rolls of the dice. Nobody knew early on that Thuney would look like the starter at LG for the next decade. Nobody knew that Karras would stick as a backup. Nobody knew for sure that Cooper would get injured again.

IMHO they made several moves, i.e., "throws of the dice" to improve their talent at guard, some worked out spectacularly (Thuney) and some didn't (Cooper). Simple as that.

Not if history is any guide. Doing a quick search through a couple engines, zero responses of DE garnering first round picks in return for trade. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but unlike QBs where ROI is hard to find, DEs production are relatively able to be replicated across the league. Almost every team has at least one at or near double digit sack player whether at DE, DL or OLB. It's a skill that can be found much more easily than other positions, hence lower trade value.
Richard Seymour was a DE traded for a first round draft pick.

Richard Seymour was a DE traded for a first round draft pick.

I figured there be at least one example hence why I put the caveat in. So the other question would be - is Jones as complete and consistent a player as Seymour was?

I figured there be at least one example hence why I put the caveat in. So the other question would be - is Jones as complete and consistent a player as Seymour was?
Absolutely not. No way that he's as talented and consistent. I was just pointing out the rare example of a DE who brought a first rounder back in return, that's all.

So sorry I couldnt at least see him on the field with Pats ..

maybe we can see there what we possibly lost here. Good luck.
Hope Tre comes back soon and well. He is bigger than Cooper though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back