Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jon Stewart's Restoring Sanity rally in D.C.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Teenuh, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm dragging my husband to that in October for sure. :D Is anyone else going?

We definitely need some sanity in politics... :lol2:
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I think I'm going to go along with a couple of friends, though Colbert's march sounds awfully appealing too:

Colbert to rally against faux nemesis Stewart | thenorthwestern.com | Oshkosh Northwestern

Colbert also announced a "March to Keep Fear Alive" to restore "truthiness" to the nation on his show Thursday night. For those who don’t know, truthiness was a 2006 word of the year that means "truth that comes from the gut, not books."

Colbert is encouraging "all freedom-loving patriots" to bring an overnight bag and five extra sets of underwear to challenge Stewart’s "dark, optimistic forces." He said the nation can’t afford a rally to restore sanity in the middle of a recession.

He wrote the United States is built on three bedrock principles: freedom, liberty and fear.

"They want to replace our fear with reason," he wrote. "But never forget ’reason’ is just one letter away from ’treason."’
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Should be a lot of laughs, they're "comedians"

Every whack job in america will be there, Paris Hilton is going to give a speech on "motherhood"

:eek:
  4. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you listen to his announcement it sounds like a call to bring together moderates (aka rational people) instead of the usual type of political party drones. The whackjobs are on the far right and far left, such as the two people at the last rally held in D.C. Glenn Beck and Al Sharpton. It doesn't get more whackjob than those two. :lol2:
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Colbert is funny but I'll stick with Jon. :D I think Stewart's rally will be funny but I think it will also have a more serious tone to it as well.
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

PLEASE....Let us just hope people don't look at comedians as leaders.

They aren't....
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

40 years ago we looked to an actor for a leader, and look what happened he granted illegal aliens amnesty... he provided us with the greatest tax increase of all time..
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

Can you tell me why....WHY are you making this a partisan issue?

I never voted for Reagan.

So Darryl is AGREEING with me that comedians aren't leaders...especially not Stewart. Good for you mon frere!
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

In case you did not notice it is a partisan issue..

Some will say Beck is a comedian.. and a great entertainer...

Rush Limbaugh labels himself as an entertainer, and he is the de facto head of the republican party..

Why not a comedian?? Nothing in politics makes any sense anyways..
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

If you're asking me if any of the above are leaders, then my answer is, "No, they are not"
  11. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Watch the media tout it as larger than the Beck rally and show pictures from the Beck rally to demonstrate the huge crowd...

It'll be a lot of lefties. And probably vandalism/violence.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

If you don't mind me asking, what's a moderate?
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

It's going to be the biggest outdoor Haloween party ever. I love Haloween parties, cuz all the hot girls are always scantilly clad. [​IMG]
  14. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In my opinion, a moderate is someone who doesn't lean excessively far to the left or right on most issues.

A moderate is someone who has opinions that fall on both sides of the fence.

A moderate doesn't believe their party (if they even have one) is perfect and the opposing party isn't evil incarnate. You won't see moderates using words like Lefty, Righty, Conservitard, Libtard, DemocRat, Repuke, etc... We don't get into the irrational hatred and name-calling.

A moderate is someone who realizes that neither side are fascists (republicans) or communists (democrats), they just have views we may not agree with sometimes. Like Jon Stewart said, "I may disagree with you but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler!" :lol2: That's one of the reasons why I like him. He calls out the bs on both sides of the fence.

A moderate never puts his/her party before their country like many republicans and democrats do.

A moderate is someone who can have strong beliefs but we never try to force them on others. Republicans and Democrats are notorious for trying to force their views on the rest of us.

A moderate is above all, RATIONAL. Find me some completely rational republicans and democrats and I'll give you $100. :lol2:
  15. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

^ Here is someone who is obviously not a moderate. Just to illiustrate my point. :D
  16. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Neither are politicians. At this point we couldn't do much worse with Comedians. :lol2: Look at our past four presidents. Clinton was the only one who did a decent job and even he screwed up many times. At this point, we could vote for monkeys and things couldn't get any worse.

[​IMG]

^ And I personally think a monkey president would be adorable.
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

Really?? Well please let us know when you find such a person. The reality is, there is no set definition for a moderate as Real World has stated. Some are conservative from head to toe while others are similarly liberal. Therefore, we can say there is a definition of conservative & liberal. But moderates...I don't think we can define them.

But if we just call them "independents", then they don't need to be defined because by definition, they're not aligned with either party. I know for sure that I'm an independent. But have no clue if I'm a moderate.
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

Comedians are too emotionally fragile to be in politics. Especially when we consider that there is no place for emotion in gov't. It's all about pragmatism and practicality, not heartfelt emotion.

Read up on the number of comedians who are bi-polar and depressive...it's damn scary!
  19. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes we can define them. If you are far right or far left you obviously are NOT moderate. You told me to define what a moderate is to me and I did. Its not my fault if people don't like my definition. But my point is you won't find moderates doing the crazy things you see from many republicans and democrats. We like to be a little more rational. And there are many of us out there, we just aren't as noisy as the far right/left. ;)
  20. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Moderates are those who are unable to form their own core set of convictions so sway either to the left or the right when nudged and are easily influenced as they don't possess enough of an arguement to hold conversation. If you push a moderate, they'll normally just throw up their hands and not want to talk politics... if they start the conversation about politics, it's never what they believe in, it's what they don't believe in and gleefully point to everyone else as fanatical.