PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joker posted this inside an unsavory thread ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychoPat

Role Player
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
... where many will miss it
who otherwise may enjoy it.

Back in the 90's I waged a jihad against the infamous Rucci and Lane, otherwise known as 4 and 6. NEM fought me tooth and nail about it but when BB took over and rid our beloved Patriots of these twin abominations, NEM was gracious and man enough to admit he was wrong in his evaluation of these two miscreant cap killers...especially when they both disappeared from the NFL shortly thereafter. Sure I was sceptical of BB when he took over, but he made ME a believer almost immediately just by eradicating them immediately.

Did I know we'd become a flagship franchise under his leadership? NO. I just knew HE knew these cruds HAD TO GO as a first order of business. Was I sceptical of his plan for the future? Yes...until I saw he made the DEFENSIVE LINE his first priority in the draft....something I've been LUSTING for since the 60's...and d%#*!@t if Bill wasn't right. Sure we have weaknesses...but I've lived through 40 years of all pro linebackers and corners and star offensive lineman, but from what I always saw in other teams is a deep and talented defensive line will cover a multitude of weaknesses even on a squad weak in the secondary and old and slow at LB.

Remember this...sure Nellie was a great MLB and Tippet and Blackmon were as good as it gets, and secondary stars like Mike Haynes will impact other teams elite receivers...but when all you have is a Sugar Bear Hamilton and three stiffs on the DL, you WILL get beat at the point of attack and good QB's WILL successfully establish their play action and exert control in crunch time.

We've had some great offensive teams and some upper echelon back sevens for decades, but until we finally got a DOMINANT man for man down the line defensive front, we NEVER imposed OUR will on the rest of the teams in this league. THIS is why Bill Belichick is such a great coach and the best leader we've ever had. Remember, coming off 9-7 in his third year and all the gaggling, know-it-all media morons clamoring for offense, BB signed Ted Washington, to the consternation of all the Felgers and Borges...what happened?? You saw it...who gave a crap about high powered offenses and teams loaded with superstar running backs and WR's. NO ONE ran our gaps inside, no one had an answer for Willie, no one could fool Bruschi running the inside A and B gaps and all the opposing QB's just didn't have the time to set and read because our DEFENSIVE LINE dominated the matchups at the snap, especially the nose, if you guys notice...the position that requires a double team IF the D lineman is a real force.

You put Tippet and Blackmon on THIS team, we rival the 86 Bears. You play Sugar Bear Hamilton on a four man front with Warren, Wilfork, Seymour and he leads the league in sacks.Ken Sims would have destroyed single teams playing next to a Ted Washington or Vince Wilfork.

So yeah, we have problems......myself, I don't like the seeming ignoring of the LB corps, nor the choice of the kind of DB's we seem to prefer....BUT I sure as hell DO know that what I lusted after for 40 years sure looks like it was EXACTLY the correct direction to go in....and I'm convinced that Bill Belichick and his methods are not only effective but also productive on the highest level, that being 3 Super Bowls in 5 years.

And I'll go even further in my homeristic rant....BB starts Grogan in that 86 game, and he damn sure would have had a TE to take Dawson's spot when he got clipped and put out of the game...ANOTHER thing Patriot fans kvetch about but something I see that contributes to an effective and productive O line no mtter what the conditions.

One last thing....being a diehard psycho Patriots fan since the Bo Nance days, Ben Dreith can take a flying leap. BB would have never let that crud influence that game...we were 2 TD's better than Oakland that year...easily.

With respect to the author ... Joker.

Remember this...sure Nellie was a great MLB and Tippet and Blackmon were as good as it gets, and secondary stars like Mike Haynes will impact other teams elite receivers...but when all you have is a Sugar Bear Hamilton and three stiffs on the DL, you WILL get beat at the point of attack and good QB's WILL successfully establish their play action and exert control in crunch time.
Tippett, Blackmon, Haynes and Tim Fox?? Comprised some of the best D Pats players of all time... I think Tippett should clearly be in the hall of fame.

good stuff from my good friend, Joker. Well done. Thanks for excavating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes