PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Johnny Football" under NCAA investigation for making money off of autographs

re: "Johnny Football" under NCAA investigation for making money off of autographs

Shocking: NCAA student-athletes that help the NCAA make billions of dollars every year want a little bit of scratch for themselves so they leverage the only asset they have - fame.

These stories wouldn't exist if the NCAA gave back to the athletes that line its pockets. Playing for a "a shot at the pros" is a cop out.

re: "Johnny Football" under NCAA investigation for making money off of autographs

If Johnny gets suspended for the entire season, how far could he realistically fall?

If Manziel was available in round 3, I couldn't handle myself. :D

Shocking: NCAA student-athletes that help the NCAA make billions of dollars every year want a little bit of scratch for themselves so they leverage the only asset they have - fame.

These stories wouldn't exist if the NCAA gave back to the athletes that line its pockets. Playing for a "a shot at the pros" is a cop out.

I have mixed feelings on it. Yes they are generating lots of money for thh universities in exchange for their skills and maybe they should get paid. BUT they are alos getting 4 or 5 years of free college tuition, room and board, a value that can range from $150,000-$300,000. Maybe they don't want to take advantage of it but ask any parent paying tuition or a student taking out loans if the student athletes have it better than them...
There was a recent story on a Penn State lineman who has a 4.0 and got his BS in math in three years and is now working on a Master's degree. That's the flip side to the guys who don't take it seriously... They are getting benefits.

I have mixed feelings on it. Yes they are generating lots of money for thh universities in exchange for their skills and maybe they should get paid. BUT they are alos getting 4 or 5 years of free college tuition, room and board, a value that can range from $150,000-$300,000. Maybe they don't want to take advantage of it but ask any parent paying tuition or a student taking out loans if the student athletes have it better than them...
There was a recent story on a Penn State lineman who has a 4.0 and got his BS in math in three years and is now working on a Master's degree. That's the flip side to the guys who don't take it seriously... They are getting benefits.
I haven't decided on whether they should get paid yet but that's not what this is about, in my opinion. He signed some memorabilia and, allegedly, got paid to do so. It had nothing to do with the university. He signed six football helmets that the university auctioned off for $81,000 and there's no issue. A student-athlete doesn't even have the rights to themselves, it seems.

If Johnny gets suspended for the entire season, how far could he realistically fall?

If Manziel was available in round 3, I couldn't handle myself. :D

He wouldn't get drafted for two reasons:

1. There's enough question marks about him anyway without him losing a whole season as a result of his own mistake.

2. If he wanted an NFL career, then he wouldn't declare and just go back to school.

Edit: In my opinion.

He wouldn't get drafted for two reasons:

1. There's enough question marks about him anyway without him losing a whole season as a result of his own mistake.

2. If he wanted an NFL career, then he wouldn't declare and just go back to school.

Edit: In my opinion.

You really think he would go undrafted? A sub 5'9 CB sat out an entire season and still became the 69th overall pick. (Mathieu)

You really think he would go undrafted? A sub 5'9 CB sat out an entire season and still became the 69th overall pick. (Mathieu)

Fair point. But QB is a really important position that demands a lot of a coaching staffs time and if 'm a coach, I really have to wonder if he's worth the effort. I could see him getting drafted on late day 3 as a WR/RB type player but if he's drafted as a QB in the first three rounds, there'll be an expectation that I don't think he can meet or that a team can manage (see Tebow, Tim).

Is it me?. ..or does Manziel already appear to be an arrogant and ****y player.

He'll come down to earth in the NFL if he thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :rolleyes:

Yup, he is the second coming... of Ryan Leaf.

The kid sounds like a spoiled brat. He is from money as well, which makes him doing stuff for small amounts just stupid.

what an idiot

He's clearly just doing everything it takes to avoid being picked by the Jets next year.

I am no where near sold on him physically being an NFL QB, but I think its obvious he doesn't have makeup of one. This whole thing just shows his ego and arrogance because he doesn't need the money, his family is very well off. He is just a spoiled brat from Texas oil money that wants everything his way. He is going to be a disaster in the NFL both an and off the field and I want no part of it. If you want an amazing college QB turned mediocre NFL QB we already have the best one in Tim Tebow. The difference is Tebow is a high character guy, great teammate and despite how horrible he looks in practice, the guy is clutch in games.

I have never seen a guy implode his draft stock in one offseason as big as Johnny Football. I think it is a minor thing, but the NCAA looks at this as a huge thing though.

The good news is that if the Pats want him, he might be available in the sixth or seventh round in next year's draft the rate he is going.

Exactly!

It's a real shame that he's decided to conduct himself in this manner. His actions will only be a detriment to his possibilities of getting into the NFL. Hopefully he can learn from his mistakes and become a better person from it. Although counseling may be needed.

Lets Hope that this is does not become the usual for up and coming college athletes.

The NFL needs more football players who are not only good at the sport, but also good role models.

Johnny Football, Marky Azzface and coach Toey Fondler...there are not enough "ugh's!" in the universe to describe the horror..

please, any deity reading my plea...make it so!..:amen:

If proven to be true, given his many and varied indiscretions since winning the Heisman Trophy, there's really no description for Manziel other than a spoiled dipshít.

I am no where near sold on him physically being an NFL QB, but I think its obvious he doesn't have makeup of one. This whole thing just shows his ego and arrogance because he doesn't need the money, his family is very well off. He is just a spoiled brat from Texas oil money that wants everything his way. He is going to be a disaster in the NFL both an and off the field and I want no part of it. If you want an amazing college QB turned mediocre NFL QB we already have the best one in Tim Tebow. The difference is Tebow is a high character guy, great teammate and despite how horrible he looks in practice, the guy is clutch in games.

What evidence is there he would be a mediocre NFL QB? Have people forgotten RGIII/Wilson/Kaepernick? Did people watch Manziel?!?! IMO he'd tear up the league if he got a chance to start.

Yes, he's a spoiled dip****. He's also a 20 year old college kid. I'm in the minority, but if the Patriots can grab this quality of prospect somehow in rounds 3-5, they have to take him.

21 year old Manziel would have rude awakening being the 3rd string QB behind Brady and Mallett. He'd mature fast.

What evidence is there he would be a mediocre NFL QB? Have people forgotten RGIII/Wilson/Kaepernick? Did people watch Manziel?!?!

Yes, he's a spoiled dip****. He's also a 20 year old college kid. I'm in the minority, but if the Patriots can grab this quality of prospect somehow in rounds 3-5, they have to take him.

21 year old Manziel would have rude awakening being the 3rd string QB behind Brady and Mallett. He'd mature fast.

Yeah I'm not sure why people are trying to knock on the physical aspects of his game. To me, that smacks of someone that hasn't watched him play all that much. Physically, he's as gifted as any college QB I've watched in some time. The question mark is the mental aspect of his game and his maturity level. That question mark is a very big and looming one.

What evidence is there he would be a mediocre NFL QB? Have people forgotten RGIII/Wilson/Kaepernick? Did people watch Manziel?!?! IMO he'd tear up the league if he got a chance to start.

I agree. I really want Manziel to succeed as I think he can be a good NFL QB (exciting at the least). As you said, he's 20 years old. Kids make mistakes. Would it be better for him if he had his head on straight and never went out and focused solely on football and school? Yes. But there's a maturation process that everyone goes through and he hasn't yet. I hope he does soon before it ruins his potential career.

Manziel's has acted like a punk , and as I said before he has the self destruct gene but some of you are REALLY under rating his football ability .

He's a heck of a football player

I think there is a ton of work he needs to do to become a better pocket QB in order to be successful in the NFL. RG3 and Wilson were far superior pocket QB's and much better suited to running an NFL system than Manziel. I think if anything he is more like Vick, where he can make a throw from a clean pocket but as soon as he senses pressure he scrambles. His ability to make ridiculous plays on the run is fantastic in college but that isn't going to happen in the NFL. NFL defenses will be much better at containing him in the pocket and making him throw under pressure which he doesn't have in college. I think like Tebow he could win some games based off his individual brilliance, but right now I just can't see him running an NFL offense. While his scrambling and playmaking ability is insane, his pocket composure and ability to step up and make a play in the pocket is something I don't see him doing consistently. This doesn't even take into consideration his football IQ and ability to read NFL defenses and go through progressions.

Now I may be a bit hard on him because he has only played 1 year of college football, but if he is forced to sit out this season and decides to enter the draft that's all we can go on. I also think like Vick he isn't going to be able to stay healthy unless he dramatically changes his playing style. He isn't built like Cam Newton or Big Ben where he can take punishment, I think he is going to consistently get beat up.

I think there is a ton of work he needs to do to become a better pocket QB in order to be successful in the NFL. RG3 and Wilson were far superior pocket QB's and much better suited to running an NFL system than Manziel. I think if anything he is more like Vick, where he can make a throw from a clean pocket but as soon as he senses pressure he scrambles. His ability to make ridiculous plays on the run is fantastic in college but that isn't going to happen in the NFL. NFL defenses will be much better at containing him in the pocket and making him throw under pressure which he doesn't have in college. I think like Tebow he could win some games based off his individual brilliance, but right now I just can't see him running an NFL offense. While his scrambling and playmaking ability is insane, his pocket composure and ability to step up and make a play in the pocket is something I don't see him doing consistently. This doesn't even take into consideration his football IQ and ability to read NFL defenses and go through progressions.

Now I may be a bit hard on him because he has only played 1 year of college football, but if he is forced to sit out this season and decides to enter the draft that's all we can go on. I also think like Vick he isn't going to be able to stay healthy unless he dramatically changes his playing style. He isn't built like Cam Newton or Big Ben where he can take punishment, I think he is going to consistently get beat up.

Vick isn't a fair comparison. The best team that Manziel and A&M played last year was Alabama. Watch the highlights from that game. Saban employed a very similar gameplan against him that he used to do against Tebow. The pocket was pretty consistently collapsing on Manziel and he was making some beautiful throws from there still, sometimes after moving his feet to buy more time. Of course, there were instances in which he would take off running, but if nobody is getting open quickly enough and you see a lane as a mobile QB, you are going to do that.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back