PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Tomase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although Tomase deserves his share of the blame, I have never gotten why people direct all their hate towards him yet forget the real villians like Greg Bishop of the NY Times who conspired with Arlene Specter to use the Times as Specter's PR firm in his effort to disqualify the Pats' Super Bowl win over the Eagles and push his Comast agenda vs. the NFL. Or Mike Fish and Greg Easterbrook of ESPN who together wrote a piece of yellow journalism that stated Matt Walsh had evidence to bring down the Patriots eventhough they not only did not know if the evidence was damagaging, but they didn't even know if the evidence even really existed.

I always looked at Tomase's crime as stupid opportunism. The Matt Walsh scandal was already there and he just tied the rumors and inuendos of that nothing scandal to the Rams walkthrough rumor. It was guys like Specter, Easterbrook, and Bishop who had sinister motives and wanted to deal the Pats a deathblow right before the Pats faced the Giants. Without Specter and Bishop (and subsequently the Mike Fish article that Easterbook facilitiated), Tomase would never have written about the Rams walkthrough.

If Tomase didn't write his piece, the Matt Walsh scandal was already an blck cloud hanging over the Pats heads the Friday before the Super Bowl. I still don't get why Tomase gets all the blame for this. His was the third story with allegations of further cheating by the Patriots in a 24 hour period.

Just a tangent to the "villains" in this affair: I don't know if he is a villain, but Goodell's decision to ignore Specter certainly enabled the Senator to grandstand on the eve of the Super Bowl. Specter wrote to Goodell in November and December. Goodell didn't respond until January 31 and claimed that he just saw the letters.

I know the commissioner is a busy guy and I could understand if he took 2.5 months to respond to a letter from me, but an inquiry from a US Senator should get a quicker turnaround. If Goodell had addressed this in November, Specter's show before the Super Bowl loses some luster.

As for Tomase, I am really surprised he didn't quietly relocate to a different city in the last couple of years.

Tomase doesn't drink the KoolAid, so he has to be wrong. LOL LOL LOL

Tomase doesn't drink the KoolAid, so he has to be wrong. LOL LOL LOL

John Tomase was a hack long before he got his gig with the Herald. He was a horrible writer when he wrote for the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune. I couldn't stand him when he was covering the Patriots then. He always seemed like he was trying to outdo Russ Conway (the guy who broke the Alan Eagleson/NHLPA fraud story). Tomase didn't seem like a guy who wanted to put the time in to being a good journalist even then.

Tomase's actions regarding the Matt Walsh story just re-confirmed what I already felt. And, while Mike Fish was one the who broke the news on Feb 1st, Tomase could have done more than just a cursory check.

I agree with Rob that Mike Fish, Arlen Specter and others should have been taken to task for their involvement in the fiasco.

A very fine line between being malicious and being professionally irresponsible for someone in his position. By definition his job requires fairness and accuracy, and he brought neither on that story. It was more than bad judgment or a mistake, it was inexcusable.

In fairness to Tomase, he did bring fairness to the the story. Unlike Greg Bishop and Mike Fish, Tomase gave the Patriots and Belichick an opportunity to respond to the story.

Here is the last thing I will say before I am done rehashing this 3 1/2 year old topic. This is how I rank the villians in whole saga:

1.) Arlen Specter - Abused his Congressional powers to get revenge for his Eagles having their Super Bowl victory "stolen" from the Patriots while pushing his COmcast agenda (his biggest campaign contributor).
2.) Greg Bishop - Through the whole Matt Walsh process, acted as Specter's press secretary through the pages of the NY Times. Wrote slanted pieces dragging in Matt Walsh into the spotlight and other things like unconfirmed rumors that Bledsoe stated that he benefitted from stolen signals (although Bledsoe was never named by name, it was obvious it was him).
3.) Greg Easterbrook - He facilitated the Matt Walsh interview with Mike Fish because of his weird self-righteous stance that Belichick was evil and needed to be brought down. If Belichick was just a perverted antisemite, Easterbrook wouldn't have had a problem.
4.) Mike Fish - Had his Matt Walsh interview story for months. Never ran it because he knew it was bad journalism to run a story of someone claiming to have very damagining evidence against another person but would not even prove that he had such evidence (nevermind what the evidence was and whether it was truly damaging) unless he was paid (Walsh wanted his legal bills paid in perpetude which should have raised the red flag). He changed his stance, not because he was able to verify Walsh's allegations but Bishop outed Walsh and Fish didn't want to be scooped. This is also the story that made Tomase think Walsh had the tape of the walkthrough.
5.) Tomase - Tomase took allegations out there already that Belichick cheating went far beyond filming opposing sidelines and gave it a tangible event of cheating - filming the walkthrough. I think he just made a stupid mistake. It was an irresponsible and wreckless mistake, but a mistake none the less. I think he thought the story was legitimate and his source was valid and just rushed to get it out there because he felt Fish's Walsh story was enough confirmation. It was wrong.

Personally, I have no use for any of the above people including Tomase, but somehow most of the Pats fanbase as taken all the crimes of my 1-4 villians and attributed it to Tomase. For example, I have seen people revel in reports of the Herald's financial problems, but get peissed off if other are happy about the NY Times problems for the same reasons. Personally, I don't get happy about innocent people losing jobs, but I don't get the hypocriscy where Tomase made a stupid mistake while Bishop's motives were more calculated in an effort to destroy the character of Belichick. Trying to destroy Belichick's character is a pastime for the NY media (see the endless stories in the NY papers a few years back of unconfirmed allegations in a bitter divorce trial that Belichick was having an affair with a former co-worker).

Last edited:
Just a tangent to the "villains" in this affair: I don't know if he is a villain, but Goodell's decision to ignore Specter certainly enabled the Senator to grandstand on the eve of the Super Bowl. Specter wrote to Goodell in November and December. Goodell didn't respond until January 31 and claimed that he just saw the letters.

I know the commissioner is a busy guy and I could understand if he took 2.5 months to respond to a letter from me, but an inquiry from a US Senator should get a quicker turnaround. If Goodell had addressed this in November, Specter's show before the Super Bowl loses some luster.

As for Tomase, I am really surprised he didn't quietly relocate to a different city in the last couple of years.

One last one. I think Goodell is a villian, I am just talking about media members and Specter who used the media for his agenda. Goodell mishandled the whole thing and his actions and punishment gave the nation the impression that Belichick and the Pats did things far worse than they really did. All they did was videotape something that 60-70k people can see going on in 16 or so games every week. It allowed ridiculous allegations that had no proof of bugging the lockerroom, jamming radio communications between QB and sidelines of opposing teams, and micing the defensive players to become real in a lot of people's minds.

Anytime I get mad about Tomase I just enter "John Tomase" into google images search. While looking at something no woman could be attracted to, I remind myself that he's not good at his job, isn't particularly bright, and has literally hundreds of thousands of people that hate him.

Anger then turns to pity and soon all the bad is gone.

I guess it comes down to whether you believe Tomase made a mistake or was trying to be malicious.

I think he made a mistake. I'm not in the mood to forgive him, and I'm not apologizing for him. But lots of local writers make up all sorts of nonsense all the time, yet don't generate anywhere near the hatred that Tomase gets.

In any event, his stupid non-story wasn't why we lost that game. Hacks like Tomase, or any of the local clowns like Borges or Felger, have NO impact on anything the Patriots do on or off the field.

Normally, I would agree with you.

However, the facts are such: The entire coaching staff of the New England Patriots spent several hours being questioned by NFL lawyers the night before the Super Bowl - - a game the heavily favored team lost by 4 points.

I'm sorry. That is not "no impact".

That being said, everyone's ire is misdirected. There were several layers of older, "wiser" editors who greenlighted that report in the Herald.

That newspaper should have been sued out of existence for what it did.

Last edited:
Personally, I have no use for any of the above people including Tomase, but somehow most of the Pats fanbase as taken all the crimes of my 1-4 villians and attributed it to Tomase.

Rob,

I agree with EVERYTHING you're saying. Excellent points.

I think the reason, I lashed out at Tomase was because I'm still forced to deal with him as a NE sports fan. Easterbrook, Bishop et al are not coming into my living room on a regular basis reporting local sports news. That was really my biggest point.

Rob,

I agree with EVERYTHING you're saying. Excellent points.

I think the reason, I lashed out at Tomase was because I'm still forced to deal with him as a NE sports fan. Easterbrook, Bishop et al are not coming into my living room on a regular basis reporting local sports news. That was really my biggest point.

On your remote there is a channel button. My suggestion is to use that to change the channel when Tomase appears on your screen or they say "coming up, John Tomase". That way you won't be forced to deal with him.

Just a suggestion.:D

However, the facts are such: The entire coaching staff of the New England Patriots spent several hours being questioned by NFL lawyers the night before the Super Bowl - - a game the heavily favored team lost by 4 points.

That being said, everyone's ire is misdirected. There were several layers of older, "wiser" editors who greenlighted that report in the Herald.

That time was a bit of a blur, but I don't recall any of the coaches being interviewed. I know Pioli and several other front office people were, perhaps BB and Kraft, but not sure about the coaches.

But regardless, I'd say the distraction of interviews before the big game had more to do with the absolutely atrocious job Roger Goodell did handling the entire issue from start to finish than anything Tomase or anyone else wrote. First he blew the whole issue up to ridiculous proportions, levied an insane fine and penalty for a minor issue, then tried to sweep it all under the rug later on.

To have league officials interviewing anyone the day before the game for an issue that reportedly happened over 5 years ago makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, which is entirely consistent with all of Goodell's actions on the issue throughout.

That time was a bit of a blur, but I don't recall any of the coaches being interviewed. I know Pioli and several other front office people were, perhaps BB and Kraft, but not sure about the coaches.

But regardless, I'd say the distraction of interviews before the big game had more to do with the absolutely atrocious job Roger Goodell did handling the entire issue from start to finish than anything Tomase or anyone else wrote. First he blew the whole issue up to ridiculous proportions, levied an insane fine and penalty for a minor issue, then tried to sweep it all under the rug later on.

To have league officials interviewing anyone the day before the game for an issue that reportedly happened over 5 years ago makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, which is entirely consistent with all of Goodell's actions on the issue throughout.

Don't speak to me of Mr. Goodell. If he were even handed he would have punished the Jets for the premeditated unsportman-like conduct of interference & tripping by the Jets coaches. :mad::mad::mad:

I guess it comes down to whether you believe Tomase made a mistake or was trying to be malicious.

I think he made a mistake. I'm not in the mood to forgive him, and I'm not apologizing for him. But lots of local writers make up all sorts of nonsense all the time, yet don't generate anywhere near the hatred that Tomase gets.

In any event, his stupid non-story wasn't why we lost that game. Hacks like Tomase, or any of the local clowns like Borges or Felger, have NO impact on anything the Patriots do on or off the field.

Are you seriously thinking that the vicious media storm + extreme negative spotlight on the team/BB/coaches on the eve of the biggest game of the season that already had our reputation smeared as villains for 'stealing' signs didn't impact the concentration and focus of the coaches and players??

I would argue that the smearing of the team (again) based on wild allegations and the harsh negative distraction were the main reasons for our lame play-calling and poor performance.

Also, he's fat.

When the local paper that covers the team prints that story, it has 10x the credibility of the national hacks. I even believed it, because why would the Herald take ANY chance that it wasn't true? The sports world wasn't really listening to Fish and the rest, but they ALL believed the Herald because it had so much to lose if it were a false story.

It affected the team's play without question. The players had to believe the story as well, and the coaches were being grilled by lawyers the night before the game. Totally took the wind out of the team's sails, killed any last minute prep which always goes on the night before a game, etc.

It also totally ruined that great moment in time for all Pats fans, on the verge of a historical undefeated season and 4th ring in 6 years. Just losing would have been fine, but losing with all that crap swirling around made it a truly miserable experience.

I agree that ultimately this was the league office. Tomase was simply the useful idiot.

The league office simply did wanted this to die and that would never have happened if we won. They kept this on ice so they could spring at the right moment.

Had we won, i don't think there is any doubt we would have been stripped of the Lombardi.

When the local paper that covers the team prints that story, it has 10x the credibility of the national hacks. I even believed it, because why would the Herald take ANY chance that it wasn't true? The sports world wasn't really listening to Fish and the rest, but they ALL believed the Herald because it had so much to lose if it were a false story.

It affected the team's play without question. The players had to believe the story as well, and the coaches were being grilled by lawyers the night before the game. Totally took the wind out of the team's sails, killed any last minute prep which always goes on the night before a game, etc.

It also totally ruined that great moment in time for all Pats fans, on the verge of a historical undefeated season and 4th ring in 6 years. Just losing would have been fine, but losing with all that crap swirling around made it a truly miserable experience.

Had to jump in on this one. You really think a tabloid like the Herald has more credibility than ESPN and the NY Times nationally even on Patriots related issues? Really?!? Eventhough both the Times and ESPN named Matt Walsh, stated his relations to the team, and had direct quotes from him stating he had information on the Patriots cheating while Tomase used the infamous "unnamed source close to the team" route? And you think a U.S. Senator claiming he was going to launch a Congressional investigation against the Patriots and two nationally renowed sources having what many considered was the NFL version of Deep Throat 72 hours before that team was going to play a historic game for the perfect season wasn't big news until Tomase? C'mon!

As for it being a distraction, who knows if it was going to be a distraction with or without Tomase. Contrary to your inacurrate rememberance of the event, both the Times and ESPN pieces sent out big shockwaves prior to the Tomase piece and the NFL was probably on a fact finding mission to find out what Matt Walsh had even before most assumed it was the Rams' walkthrough. In fact, the Rams' walkthrough thing was kind of irrelevant because if Walsh had any new proof of cheating that Belichick didn't disclose to Goodell, Belichick was going to be in huge trouble whether it was a walkthrough being taped or micing the defensive line men or bugging opposing lockerrooms or proof of jaming opposing sidelines communications or any other baseless accusations thrown at the Pats during Spygate.

BTW, if Tomase's piece is what sparked everything and the other two articles were irrelevant, why was Matt Walsh thrusted into the national spotlight. Nowhere in Tomase's piece did he state Walsh was the one who videotaped the walkthrough or that the evidence Walsh had was tape of the walkthrough.

Last edited:
I agree that ultimately this was the league office. Tomase was simply the useful idiot.

The league office simply did wanted this to die and that would never have happened if we won. They kept this on ice so they could spring at the right moment.

Had we won, i don't think there is any doubt we would have been stripped of the Lombardi.

Sorry, the timing of it was hatched by Arlen Specter and Greg Bishop. Specter wanted revenge for the Pats "stealing" the Eagles' Super Bowl title and Bishop wanted to create a distraction to help the hometown Giants. It had nothing to do with the league.

Even if the league offices hated Belichick and the Pats, the last thing they wanted is a scandal right before the Super Bowl especially when it involves a team playing in it playing for a perfect record.

Don't speak to me of Mr. Goodell. If he were even handed he would have punished the Jets for the premeditated unsportman-like conduct of interference & tripping by the Jets coaches. :mad::mad::mad:

You mean the team he used to work for? Very surprising... ;)

Are you seriously thinking that the vicious media storm + extreme negative spotlight on the team/BB/coaches on the eve of the biggest game of the season that already had our reputation smeared as villains for 'stealing' signs didn't impact the concentration and focus of the coaches and players??

I would argue that the smearing of the team (again) based on wild allegations and the harsh negative distraction were the main reasons for our lame play-calling and poor performance.

We won 18 games in a row with the media blowing up everything to ridiculous proportions. That negative spotlight was on us all season long, not just the Super Bowl.

Maybe it played a part. But I can think of a bunch of other, more significant reasons we lost that game, all of which took place on the field.

Sorry, the timing of it was hatched by Arlen Specter and Greg Bishop. Specter wanted revenge for the Pats "stealing" the Eagles' Super Bowl title and Bishop wanted to create a distraction to help the hometown Giants. It had nothing to do with the league.

Even if the league offices hated Belichick and the Pats, the last thing they wanted is a scandal right before the Super Bowl especially when it involves a team playing in it playing for a perfect record.

The league knew of this months before and didn't "investigate". Their response was they "looked" but if someone had more info.....OKAYYYYY

If the league office was serious, they would have taken care of this months ago. The possibility of an undefeated season was no suprise so letting this come out the day before would either distract or give cover to strip the Lombardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back