Welcome to PatsFans.com

John Smith looking for a job

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IllegalContact, Aug 24, 2012.

1. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +253 / 4 / -8

John Smith started the day early,
    having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 am.

While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking,
    he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG),
    and put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA),
    designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and
    tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA).

After cooking his breakfast in his new
    electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA),
    he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO),
    to see how much he could spend today.

After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN)
    to the radio (MADE IN INDIA),
    he got in his car (MADE IN JAPAN),
    filled it with GAS (from SAUDIA ARABIA)
    to continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day
    checking his Computer (made in MALAYSIA),
    John decided to relax for a while.

He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL),
    poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE)
    and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA),

and then wondered why he can't find
    a good paying job in AMERICA.

And now he is hoping he can get help
    from the president (MADE IN KENYA)?

American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +146 / 2 / -1

It's a good idea and great point (even with the Kenya stupidity).

Also, the notion of buying from small / local businesses: "...Few Americans realize that when you shop at such stores as Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Kohl's, Home Depot and Target, you slit your neighbor's and your own financial throat..."

I like this effort, too: The 3/50 Project ::: Home

That said, American manufacturers and local stores need to up their game. My last 2 cars both were foreign-built because that's what best-suited my needs and desires at the time. Same goes for my last 2 TVs (I think there may be 1 US maker left, though nothing shows up in that database).

otoh, recent US-made purchases that I would highly recommend included a rower (Concept2, made in Vermont, I think) and an online toy retailer. eBeanstalk (I don't think their toys are necessarily made in the US, but they offered great customer service out of Connecticut)

Also, why buy imported fruit? It tastes horrible, relatively speaking. I've started buying mainly at farmers markets and, at the grocery store, only what's in season from the region. (Granted, agriculture isn't going to drive any economic rebound.)
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

New America, i'm called a racist and old fool, but i remember, yes i remember, nothing is forever.

(whenever i talk about years past one of the first things the wonderful liberals bring up is Racism I'm not talking about racisim I;m talking about the little grocery on the corner that sold fruit and vegatables trucked in from just 100 miles away, not from Peru or Mexico)

Why are liberals so obsessed with Race, they try to inject it into every thing they talk about, it seems to be some kind of sickness with them.

Nothing Is Forever, good luck, we are being invaded but nobody knows it.

The New America Mindset:
    Man breaks into house at 2AM, owner wakes up and says to Scumsucker "hi, would you like to screw my wife, then i'll cook you up a big steak"
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +146 / 2 / -1

wtf are you talking about, harry? This may be hard to believe, but everything isn't about you -- in fact, very little is about you.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Oh, I thought they were talking about me.
  6. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

You say that you bought foreign cars because they met your needs yet also say that shopping at stores like walmart slit your neighbors and your own financial throats?

So a person that is on a tight budget can get a weeks worth of groceries at walmart for say $125 but they should shop at their local grocer where the same costs $155 so that they can support their local community? plus, with gas prices as they are a place like walmart can be a one stop solution. People that are in trouble financially have to balance gas as well as food and mortgage/rent.

For some people the big box stores meet their needs better than the local stores, no need to paint those people as financial murders.
  7. woolster22

woolster22 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

While I love the theory, that site didn't seem to have much to offer. I'm a chef, checked out the first page of kitchen junk. It was just that, junk. I have pets, hit that. Lol. If my dog can't keep itself warm it will learn how to, I'm not buying it a god damn sweater.

The real problem is we have become stagnant. It is time to create a new technology, preferably, a renewable energy resource. We know fusion would seem to provide amazing amounts of it, problem is we have no idea how to control it.

A few months ago I read an article about scientists manipulating a bacteria (if memory serves, maybe it was energy producing upon impact?) into an energy producing film. When manipulated (more or less), it would create energy. While I am pretty sure my memory is hazy, I do remember the suggestion of said film being applied to shoe soles to charge your phone, watch, etc. How about to your tires to charge your engine(assuming we keep heading towards elec)... I'm assuming this was bought out by big energy...simply too dangerous to profits...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  8. woolster22

woolster22 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Too big to fail, big enough to jail.

If gm can't fail because of jobs, what about wally world? Split them up now or severely handicap pay for ANYONE working there. CEO, owner, I don't care. Cap them at eighty grand while you figure out how to dismantle them.

If they would handicap the economy on failure, then in the current climate the odds are they are handicapping the common man either way.

Banks that are too big to fail? In the free market? How else do we regulate?

Governments don't have to balance check books? Then why the hell can't I just print money? The government is after all...
    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

The other dynamic associated with imported fruits and vegetables, is you do not know what has been done to increase their yield (pesticides and the such) and preserve their freshness..

The other day was in BJ's for something, and wanted to take a shortcut... checked out some greenbeans, and upon closer inspection noticed they came from China.. very weird.

We shop at a locally owned supermarket (6 store chain) primarily because of the produce, meat and fish.. they tend to be somewhat higher, but the quality is definitely better..
  10. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +146 / 2 / -1

I don't need a job... :)

In all seriousness, though, I hear where you're coming from, but two things. First, my choice wasn't based on price but on features -- I bought the best product for my needs. Granted, I had that capability financially, and everybody doesn't have that. Which leads to...

Second, my issue is not with people who have no other choice but to buy the cheapest foreign-made goods, it's the people who complain about foreign products and claim to support US business and then turn around and buy the cheapest product they can.

A lot of people complain about our economy but don't make choices consistent with their words. (that is why I brought up the independent store example -- look at how many people browse locally but then just look for the cheapest price online -- certainly their prerogative, but if they turn around and whine when the local retailer goes under, they're hypocrites)
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

For example in our area, a major retailer, Stop and Shop(regions largest), is owned by Ahold, which is a division of Dutch Owned Royal Ahold...

Hannaford Brothers(2nd largest), which is a large chain in Northern New England, is owned by Belgian Delhaize Group of Belgium.. btw Hannaford Bros. is the largest private employer in Maine.

These along with many others have bought out small chains, and consumed the mom and pop stores..
  12. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

That is kind of my opinion when I see people complaining about shopping at walmart because all the products are from China, and at the same time using an iPad or iPhone.
  13. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +146 / 2 / -1

But are there US made alternatives to either of those products?

In some ways this is a chicken and the egg situation -- many products aren't readily available from US manufacturers, but unless US consumers demonstrate they will buy US, even if it means paying more, that won't change.

I wonder what it would cost to make the iPhone or iPad domestically versus abroad...

I will say again, though, that you're right that people who need to save the $ because of their financial situations shouldn't be condemned for saving money.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's good to hear because mom and pop stores, while quaint, are ridiculously inefficient at distribution. When it comes to food - one of the few items you'll usually find made in America - we should have as efficient of a delivery system as possible. Don't you agree?
  15. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +146 / 2 / -1

Also, the existence of acquisitions / consolidation is a bit off topic, unless I missed the point Darryl was making.

In some ways it brings up the question of what buying local means, I suppose.

But otherwise, it's just one business owner selling to another, for better or worse. I don't begrudge the little guy who sells out. I do begrudge the well off person who talks about their love for the local bookstore and then browses there, buys at amazon and whines when the local closes its doors.
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Amazon Prime all the way, baby! :rocker: The best prices by far, no tax and free shipping!
  17. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +146 / 2 / -1

OT: I have no problem with Amazon. Theyve developed a compelling business model. I buy a lot from my 2 local bookshops and use amazon for things those 2 don't have and sometimes for links to other independent booksellers and merchants.
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For me, the biggest deciding factor isn't the prices (which Amazon has which are the best) but rather the convenience. I don't have to bother getting in my car and going to a store (to say nothing of the inconvenience of getting in my car, going to a store, and then finding out that store doesn't have what I want).
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +146 / 2 / -1

Sure. I'm fortunate to have a great independent that's a 5 minute walk from me, so they're my first stop. The other store is a specialty shop and isn't that convenient (15 min drive, not horrible), but they're such a great store that it's well worth the effort -- I learn things from them, they help me find things that are tough to locate, and they're simply a business worth supporting for me.

I'll also buy from a local Barnes and noble at times because they offer 2 things I find useful: online you can locate a book and place it on hold at the store, and my local one is good for kids books when I'm getting gifts -- sections for Caldecott and Newbery prize winners make it easy for me to buy something. Both are features of their business that justify a higher cost for me.