PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Murphy's Top 50...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This is a terrific resource to use as reference for the Pats first 3 picks. Informative reasoning behind each prospect is included. I'll just list the names:

Note: Bold = my early Pats Prospects

Code:
1. Calvin Johnson, wide receiver, Georgia Tech
2. JaMarcus Russell, quarterback, LSU 
3. Joe Thomas, offensive tackle, Wisconsin
4. Jamaal Anderson, defensive line, Arkansas
5. Adrian Peterson, running back, Oklahoma
6. Brady Quinn, quarterback, Notre Dame
7. Alan Branch, defensive line, Michigan
8. Gaines Adams, defensive end, Clemson
[B] 9. Reggie Nelson, defensive back, Florida[/B]
10. Marshawn Lynch, running back, California
11. Amobi Okoye, defensive tackle, Louisville
12. Ted Ginn, Jr., wide receiver, Ohio State
13. Aaron Ross, cornerback, Texas
[B] 14. LaRon Landry, safety, LSU[/B]
15. Charles Johnson, defensive end, Georgia
16. Lawrence Timmons, outside linebacker, Florida State
17. Tony Ugoh, offensive tackle, Arkansas 
18. Jon Beason, linebacker, Miami
[B] 19. Adam Carriker, defensive line, Nebraska[/B]
[B] 20. Darrelle Revis, cornerback, Pittsburgh[/B]
21. Dwayne Jarrett, wide receiver, USC
22. DeMarcus Tyler, defensive tackle, North Carolina State
[B] 23. Anthony Spencer, defensive end/outside linebacker, Purdue[/B]
24. Brandon Meriweather, defensive back, Miami 
25. Jarvis Moss, defensive end, Florida 
26. Dwayne Bowe, wide receiver, LSU 
[B] 27. Robert Meachem, wide receiver, Tennessee[/B]
[B] 28. Leon Hall, cornerback, Michigan[/B]
[B] 29. Joe Staley, offensive tackle, Central Michigan[/B]
30. Greg Olsen, tight end, Miami
31. Levi Brown, offensive tackle, Penn State
[B]32. Patrick Willis, inside linebacker, Mississippi [/B]
[B] 33. Chris Houston, cornerback, Arkansas[/B] 
34. Zach Miller, tight end, Arizona State
35. Victor Abiamiri, defensive end, Notre Dame
[B] 36. Paul Posluszny, outside linebacker, Penn State[/B]
[B] 37. Daymeion Hughes, cornerback, California[/B]
[B] 38. Tanard Jackson, defensive back, Syracuse[/B]
39. Jay Moore, defensive end/outside linebacker, Nebraska
40. Sidney Rice, wide receiver, South Carolina
[B] 41. Josh Wilson, cornerback, Maryland[/B]
42. Ryan Kalil, center, USC
43. Justin Blalock, offensive line, Texas
44. Baraka Atkins, defensive line, Miami
45. Marcus Thomas, defensive tackle, Florida
[B] 46. Anthony Gonzalez, wide receiver, Ohio State[/B]
[B] 47. Brian Leonard, running back/fullback, Rutgers[/B]
48. Quentin Moses, defensive end, Georgia 
49. Ben Grubbs, offensive guard, Auburn
50. Ryan McBean, defensive line, Oklahoma State

Last edited:
I would love to see Lenard in a pats uniform....I know there is talk about Merriweather off field issuses....If that all under control he would make a good pats hard nose safety...

A worthy bump. His rankings deserve to be debated.

Opinions please...

I'll be beside myself with happiness if he's correct with these.

Merrieweather, Bowe or Hall at #24.
Brown, Willis or Hall at #28.
Gonzalez, Moses, Harris and Leonard within striking distance (small trade up) in Round 2.

Spencer at #23 is interesting, it validates him being a worthy consideration at #24. If the plan is to move Vrabel inside in a year, as he slows down, Spencer would be an interesting guy to have a year early to learn the spot and start rotating in on passing downs.

Spencer at #23 is interesting, it validates him being a worthy consideration at #24. If the plan is to move Vrabel inside in a year, as he slows down, Spencer would be an interesting guy to have a year early to learn the spot and start rotating in on passing downs.

Rarely do I ever stay glued to any one prospect (learned the hard way :( ) -- but Spencer is one who fits in many ways. His value as you've alluded to may be somewhere in the range of our two round one picks. He's a well-rounded player whose strength is vs the run (led the nation in tackles for losses), but also has decent (not great) pass rushing skills. His character and work ethic are both excellent. I'm sure Colvin knows him well -- given their Purdue connection...and will act as a mentor of sorts playing the same position.

Spencer would clearly be a solid value pick at an obvious position of concern. IMO, he ought to be considered as one of the top 5 Pats Prospects in round one.

Rarely do I ever stay glued to any one prospect (learned the hard way :( ) -- but Spencer is one who fits in many ways. His value as you've alluded to may be somewhere in the range of our two round one picks. He's a well-rounded player whose strength is vs the run (led the nation in tackles for losses), but also has decent (not great) pass rushing skills. His character and work ethic are both excellent. I'm sure Colvin knows him well -- given their Purdue connection...and will act as a mentor of sorts playing the same position.

Spencer would clearly be a solid value pick at an obvious position of concern. IMO, he ought to be considered as one of the top 5 Pats Prospects in round one.

FWIW, Spencer seems to be the early object of desire of Jets fans, too. There's an interesting dynamic shaping up with the Pats at #24 and #28 and the Jets at #25 with the same defensive scheme and some similar needs.

FWIW, Spencer seems to be the early object of desire of Jets fans, too. There's an interesting dynamic shaping up with the Pats at #24 and #28 and the Jets at #25 with the same defensive scheme and some similar needs.

This calls for a thread in the main forum seeking out our 3-4 competition.

Tanard Jackson

Wasn't he suspended form the team this year for bad conduct???? Or was it only for a couple of games????

Last edited:
Re: Tanard Jackson

Wasn't he suspended form the team this year for bad conduct???? Or was it only for a couple of games????
http://www.orangeinaz.org/info_pages.php?pages_id=10
Syracuse Post-Standard Staff Writer, July 14, 2006
-----
Starting cornerback Tanard Jackson and backup WR J.J. Bedle were suspended for a violation of team rules and will have their situations re-evaluated over the summer. Bedle was one of the more highly recruited wide receivers to come out of New Jersey in recent years.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft.../draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2007&id=10816
Overall: Jackson appeared in 11 of 12 games in 2003 as a true freshman, mostly on special teams, and made five total tackles. In 2004, he started 11 games recording 56 total tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, two interceptions, and one fumble recovery. He missed the Rutgers game (Oct. 2) after being stabbed in the chest while attempting to break up a fight at an on-campus party. Jackson started all 11 games in 2005 registering 44 total tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, one interception, six pass-breakups, and one fumble recovery. On April 10, 2006, Jackson was suspended for "conduct detrimental to the team" by head coach Greg Robinson but the issue has since been resolved. He was reinstated for 2006 and started all 12 games, finishing with 62 total tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery.

I would love to see Lenard in a pats uniform....I know there is talk about Merriweather off field issuses....If that all under control he would make a good pats hard nose safety...

Peter King agrees with you:

I walked out of the stadium that night thinking: Once Tom Brady gets to know about Brian Leonard, he'll politic for the Pats to draft him next year. What a perfect sledgehammer and safety valve for the Patriots.

Can Leonard be a good enough runner to be the big back to spell Maroney ? We already have Mills as a safety value, Byard type; we don't need to spend a #1 pick on another. Now, if Maroney can be an 18 carry guy with Leonard being a good blocker, receiver and 7-10 tough ass carries, then maybe.

Can Leonard be a good enough runner to be the big back to spell Maroney ? We already have Mills as a safety value, Byard type; we don't need to spend a #1 pick on another. Now, if Maroney can be an 18 carry guy with Leonard being a good blocker, receiver and 7-10 tough ass carries, then maybe.
Mills is an experiment, we don't know whether he will be a LB or FB or TE or WR or STs Ace. He has skill sets and background that may allow him to perform in one or more of these. Leonard is a proven RB/FB and an excellent receiver. He would be a dependable complementary runner with Maroney (It would be nice to have one we know will run without dancing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes