PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Murphy: His top 5 Safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Rating the Safeties

This year's draft will provide teams an array of potential playmakers at safety. Three prospects are projected to go in the first round while five or six more defenders could come off the board before the middle of the third round.

1. LaRon Landry
2. Reggie Nelson
3. Brandon Meriweather
4. Michael Griffin
5. Eric Weddle
He has some interesting comments worthy of reading on each. Here's his take on Nelson:

While possessing the abilities of a Cover 2 cornerback, most evaluators feel Nelson – who thinks of himself as a fearsome hitter in the mold of John Lynch – will be most successful as a free safety. Nelson's combination of speed, instincts, range and study skills make him so dangerous. He's not afraid to come up and cover a wide receiver, but is just as fast to go hit a runner in the mouth. He takes proper angles to the ball, keeps his eyes focused on the quarterback and then shows an extra burst of speed to the ball. He also has the hands to force turnovers and then the vision and speed to make opposing offenses pay for their mistakes.

His pro day workout – which featured times in the 4.33 range in the 40; 4.09 short shuttle; and 6.68 3-cone – impressed evaluators. However, the thing that most jumps out about him is that he carries himself with both maturity and a great deal of youthful energy. He's dedicated to being successful and keeping to the path that his mother, who died last fall, set for him.

His attitude, playmaking skills and potential to make an immediate impact on a defensive unit as a rookie will make him this year's version of Donte' Whitner, who rose into the top 10 after his combine and pro day workouts.

Good stuff, I can wrap my arms around the Safeties more than the LB because I just don't believe we'll take a LB in round one.

I like all of the above, they are consistently getting the best ratings except for some in which Aaron Rouse slips into the top 5. The Sporting News magazine myseteriously has Griffin as the #13 Safety which is weird. I think we'll have our choice of these guys except for the top two.

I didn't think Whitner's workout pushed him into the top ten, I thought Marv Levy panicking did the trick, especially after the Raiders grabbed Huff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes