Welcome to PatsFans.com

John McCain you make me puke..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 19, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

actually do not dislike McCain, liked him more before Karl Rove did the dirty tricks thing on him in South Carolina in the "00 race... now I have to question whether he is gay or not, or if his wife is a drug addict. Anyways get down from the pulpit, here is an article from a wright wing authority, Newsmax.. so it has to be wright..

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/mccain_dobson_evangelical/2008/05/18/97063.html

Sen. John McCain's campaign has so far turned a deaf ear to invitations to meet with politically powerful evangelical leader Dr. James Dobson at his Focus on the Family headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colo., raising the possibility that the nation's sizeable evangelical bloc will sit out the presidential race in November.

The move would all but assuring the election of Sen. Barack Obama, columnist Robert Novak argues in a recent column.

Noting that Dobson has indicated he can't support McCain for president, Novak writes that Dobson's opposition to McCain "reflects continued resistance to the prospective presidential nominee among Christian conservatives who are unhappy with McCain's current positions on stem-cell research, immigration and global warming, not to mention his past sponsorship of campaign-finance reform."

But conservatives are surprised that despite the differences between McCain and some key conservatives, he hasn't responded to their olive branches and sought meetings.

As a result of their dissatisfaction, Novak reports that many of Dobson's followers "are looking beyond 2008 to seek a new leader of the conservative movement for the 2012 election."

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

what?

You should never smoke and post.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

Whats wrong with being "gay"--:confused:

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Nothing at all.

Some days I feel really good! Others, not so much.

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

The Rove/Bush people spread rumors that he may have been gay in '00... no not George must have been done without his knowledge.

6. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

OT, but there is no evidence that was Rove.

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +466 / 12 / -14

McCain is not popular with conservatives, I will probably write in T Sowell and S Forbes this fall there is a pubbie running for congress worth voting for (S Garrett) and to vote against whoever is running against the senile F Lautenberg (who is bragging about preventing off the NJ coast and blocking drilling AnWAR, thanks for the $4 + gas Frank...

8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

No, only his direct campaign officers were known to have proliferated the Black Baby smear. And, of course, we all know Rove would be happy to deligate his directives to the point of being oblivious to his underlings' actions.

The bloody glove was proof there was no evidence against OJ either, right?

It's amazing... To empire supporters, whenever an obedient Bushie Con man is suspected of impropriety, then it becomes a burden of proof that would need to pass the mustard in a court of law to even be discussed. However, if a left-leaning or libertarian politician is suspected, then it's assumed guilt right on the surface. Ron Paul's "racism" being a perfect example.

Yes, nevermind numerous campaign officials who pointed to Rove, there's just no proof. But Ron Paul's name attached to a racist newsletter? He's immediately the grand wizard of the Texas Klan headquarters.

9. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

We went through this before, and I don't remember 1 shred of evidence that Rove was tied to that smear. Your evidence if I remember correctly was that Rove is slimy so it must have been him behind it. Am I "misremembering" that? Could be, wouldn't be the first time. I definitely couldn't find anything linking a member of the Bush campaign to the rumor.

I also don't ever recall saying anything about Ron Paul being a racist because of some questionable newsletters, I don't buy for a second that he is a bigot.

I also don't believe that Obama is a practicing muslim, or that he believes even one word of Wright's nonsense.

OK so I went back and checked, we did do this dance before and all you came up with was speculation from McCain's campaign and around the 'net. Here's what I wrote the last time, bold on the key part:

"So basically you can't provide any evidence to back up the claim that the Bush campaign or Karl Rove was behind that push poll or the rumors. I'm not looking for signed documents, I'm looking for ANYTHING linking the campaign to the poll. All I've found is speculation by McCain advisers (who of course would want to make the other campaign look bad by blaming it on them), opinion from some journalists, and a long list of opinion pieces that repeat the assertion that it was Rove without evidence, or referring to earlier articles that provide no evidence.

As you pointed out, Rove and Bush have both vigorously denied the rumor, though I didn't bother to use that as evidence they didn't do it, since of course they wouldn't admit to it. I can recognize a biased source, maybe if you're pointing to what the McCain campaign said as "evidence" you can not?

I don't think its a terribly high standard of proof to ask for some small shred of evidence linking the two. For example I found something possibly linking the Bush campaign to another phone poll conducted in 2000:

http://www.bartcopnation.com/dc/dcbo...8&topic_id=522

"Bush Campaign Accused of Using Push Polls Against McCain.
    College of Charleston student Suzette Latsko said she received a telephone call from a woman who identified herself as an employee of Voter/Consumer Research, and that the caller misrepresented McCain’s positions and asked if Latsko knew McCain had been reprimanded for interfering with federal regulators in the savings and loan scandal. Voter/Consumer Research is listed as a polling contractor on Bush’s Federal Election Commission filings; the Bush campaign has paid Voter/Consumer Research $93,000 through December 31, 1999. Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer denied the call was a push poll, but said it was important that the Republican Party remember McCain’s role in the S&L crisis.

Bush Campaign Acknowledged Making Phone Calls.
    Tucker Eskew, Bush’s South Carolina spokesman, acknowledged the Bush campaign made such calls, but claimed they were not “push polls.” Eskew added, “Show me a baseless comment in those questions.” "

So here we have a good example of at least a potential link, a firm paid by the Bush campaign conducting a poll that was questionable in the facts it presented. I can't find anything like this for the baby polling. All I can find is the rumor started by the a-hole Hand at Bob Jones University and propagated by what is called everywhere "unidentified" supporters.

I looked more this morning and still can't find anything. Again, I'm perfectly willing to believe that Rove would be capable of something like that, but absent any evidence I don't think we should be saying he did like it is a fact. Its speculation at this point, nothing more, even if you want it to be true."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../showthread.php?t=81519&page=6&highlight=Rove

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

Hey ... you said "wright" :eek:

Just kidding .. as much as I pick on him I'll take Obama over McCain all day long. At least I know if Obama messes up he will try to correct it ... I don't think the same will apply to Obama and it certainly did not apply to Bush.

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

my favorite excuse...

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

again, it stands to reason that Rove's campaign operatives, who answer directly to him, would receive their marching order from Pig Boy himself. Based on Rove's vast history of slimy politics, and numerous Washington and S.C. insiders and reporters insisting it was Rove.

A December 1999 Dallas Morning News linked Rove to a series of campaign dirty tricks, including his College Republican efforts, allegedly starting a whisper campaign about Ann Richard being too gay-friendly, spreading stories about Jim Hightower’s involvement in a kickback scheme and leaking the educational history of Lena Guerrero. The article also outlined current dirty tricks and whisper campaigns against McCain in South Carolina, including that “McCain may be unstable as a result of being tortured while a prisoner of war in North Vietnam.” (DMN, 12/2/99) After the article was published, Rove blasted Slater in the Manchester, NH airport, “nose to nose” according to one witness, with Rove claiming Slater had “harmed his reputation,” Slater later noted. But according to one witness, “What was interesting then is that everyone on the campaign charter concluded that Rove was responsible for rumors about McCain.”

Regardless, the man said there is "no evidence." I believe there was plenty enough to make a reasonable deduction:

That there was only one candidate who benefited from the McCain Smears, whose campaign happened to be run by an operative with a long history of such behavior, makes the connection and the evidence for it at least worth mentioning, to put it mildly. But, of course, to you guys, there's just nothing there unless Rove's signature is found on a confession. And even then, maybe.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Lets see how this Siegelman thing in Alabama plays out, if there is cooperations wouldn't it be interesting if Rove did play a role in that fiasco?? If that does happen maybe there will be more believers of the capabilities of that man.

14. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No doubt Rove would be capable of something like that, but I still can't find evidence linking the Bush campaign to it. I differentiate between the actual campaign and the inbred hick supporters of Bush who were pushing the black baby thing. I still can only find that McCain's campaign accused him (and of course you want to pin the dirty tricks on the other guy directly to make him look bad), and the conclusion of some journalists who heard Rove rip into a guy that accused him of doing it (and I still don't get how they came to that conclusion from the quotes I read). I give the McCain camp opinion no more weight than I do Bush and Rove coming out and denying it, neither side represents a credible source.

I will definitely say you are right though that Rove is CAPABLE of something like that, based on his history of slimy moves. That one rumor though is so far out there it is on a different level from other smears that he's made, which in the past have been based on some shred of truth. See the push polls they actually got caught doing in SC, a distortion of McCain's record, but not outright lies. Seems to me that the potential consequences of getting caught if they were responsible would be too great, basically political suicide.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Cannot commit political suicide if you are already politically dead..

16. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If McCain won the nomination in 2000 and Al Gore won the White House (insert "but he DID win in 2000!" joke here) Bush would have been the top choice for 2004. That's reason enough for him to stay clear of anything too disgusting like this.

17. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I hope you mean Jeb Bush....

You DO understand that George Bush was the Rove candidate and Jeb Bush was the future Republican candidate.....right? You know about SC, and Johnny Mac...right.....?

18. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Jeb was/is too smart to take the job. We're talking about SC in 2000, and the smear campaign that went on against McCain then.

19. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

yeah...that was really the turning point in BOTH bush boys lives. Rove decided....or some people cold calling and making flyers decided on their own.....to spread teh black love child story, and propel Bush to the eventual nomination.

You should check out "Bush's Brain"

it really lays all of this out about Jeb. Too Smart to take the job????? Really? We are going there?

20. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What have you got about Jeb? By all accounts he's a decent, level headed, thoughtful guy, more like the old man in most ways.

(and while I can't stand the old man, I know a lot of people, libs included that do like him).