Welcome to PatsFans.com

John McCain and his flip flops...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 30, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Everyone loves that straight shooter John McCain, but there have been a few instances where he has changed his mind on a few of his positions...

Don't dis the site, every one has a link to the source.. interesting..

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/15924.html

2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Not that I disagree with the article, but why can't we "dis" the source. If you use a liberal "commentary" site, it's fair game to claim bias, just as much as a right wing does. You do get credit for being upfront about it.

He's pandering to his base, just like Obama is trying to move to the center. It's a decent debate to see who has farther to go, and thus have to flip flop the most. My eyeball judging has Obama by a nose. Point is, they are both gonna do it, they are politicians.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

In defense of politicians (wow), they're damned if they do and damned if they don't flip on a lot of issues. They are supposed to simultaneously represent the will of their constituency and stick to their guns. Problem is, they can't do both.
  4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

True enough.... Obama is a really liberal guy, and that is where the base of his support is. However, if he doesn't shift towards the center, he will turn off LARGE swaths of the country that are more moderate independents that could just as easily vote for McCain if they sense he is to squirrely. He can't abandon his base, but he has to shift right to appeal to those voter if he wants to seal the deal. He'll have to lead that way too when he gets elected.

On the flip side, McCain is a pretty liberal republican and if he doesn't shift some of his positions slightly more to the right, he risks an equally difficult scenario of not stimulating the conservative base (which he needs to win), or risk having them just sit this election out.

So it's not a matter of who flip flops since they both are going to. It's what they flip flop on and does it effect core believe.

IMO, and the opinion of many that are smarter then me, the most costly flip flop of all so far this election is Obama's public finance switch. For a guy that is running on Hope & Change that espouses that the "system" is broken and we need to change it, to go back essentially say "Ahhh, scratch that, I think I'll do it the old way"...... Hurts him. Perhaps it wasn't a "Read my lips" flip flop, but it made many of his core "believers" wavier a bit and for the first time say...... This guy is like the rest. He'll recover, but it did hurt in the short run.

It's still early though, and there are bound to be some more major flip flops before the end.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +425 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

This is why it's difficult for lifelong Senators to be elected President, they have a lot of votes behind them and times change. Maybe McCain should have just voted "Present" instead - like someone else. Why go on the record anyway ?
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah. As much fun as I got out of "I voted for it before I voted against it" (and still do...just typing it made me smile), it's just part of being in the Senate and even though Kerry was clumsy with it, he wasn't wrong about it.
  7. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +758 / 1 / -4

#75 Jersey

I agree. Can we actually stop the crap about "flip-flopping".

I actually WANT a leader who can say, "you know, the world isn't about absolute certitudes - - I need to keep an open eye and mind to changes and new information".

This crap about flip-flopping (whether it's aimed at either Republican or Democrat) breeds leaders for our country that only listen to yes men and have tunnel vision.

I can't see how that is helpful.
  8. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I think flip flopping is too much of a generalization. Sometimes, people have legitmate changes of hearts on important subjects. That's when it's the job of the media to ask why someone has changed their opinions, so the politician in question can explain themselves. If they give an honest answer, I wouldn't really say it's a "flip flop." People really do have honest changes of heart, and that's ok.