PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Madden retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rocker::ditto::agree::yeeha: yeah, what he said! I like Jerry and miss his antics and joking nature.

right ......... he is both entertaining and informative and was great in analyzing plays and talking formations, and just like madden, is fully appreciative of the dirty stuff that goes on in the scrum

and for some reason, he has always liked the pats

"BOOM" its over. one heck of a carreer. He's a rare breed in that when you hear his voice it just seems like a big game.

his replacement needs to be another coach..........please, none of these clowns like kornholer or greenberg......

my first choice is jerry glanville.......a colorful guy who was good at analysis

**** Vermeil.... if only he had more of a colorful personality.

Wow, how will I ever know the obvious now ???

I love Madden's voice, he puts me in my football happy place. But he was definitely Captain Obvious.

his replacement needs to be another coach..........please, none of these clowns like kornholer or greenberg......

my first choice is jerry glanville.......a colorful guy who was good at analysis

I totally agree that they need to replace him with another coach. He is an icon in the business with a .750 winning percentage as a coach (still the best ever I believe). I loved his early years with Pat Summerall and I wished Al Michaels had of worked with the younger Madden.

Jerry Glanville I am a huge fan of and think he would be perfect to replace Madden as you would never know what would come out of him next...kinda like Madden:D. What is Glanville doing now??

========================================================

Glanville is the head coach of the Portland State Vikings.:)

I too loved Madden. A lot of UK fans learned the game through him.

He conveyed his love of the game -- and what he loved wasn't just the sentimental image that the NFL Marketing Department wanted to convey (though, of course, he was a sucker for that too!). And he was generally pretty shrewd in telling what was going on. Best of all, he didn't think that the way to share his excitement was to shriek like a branded pig (see under Maguire, Paul).

I too loved Madden. A lot of UK fans learned the game through him.

He conveyed his love of the game -- and what he loved wasn't just the sentimental image that the NFL Marketing Department wanted to convey (though, of course, he was a sucker for that too!). And he was generally pretty shrewd in telling what was going on. Best of all, he didn't think that the way to share his excitement was to shriek like a branded pig (see under Maguire, Paul).

Seconded. I think Madden stood out as a former Superbowl Winning HC and really contributed to my understanding of what is not an easy game to learn from scratch in a foreign country. I had a lot of time for the guy, but I guess everyone needs to retire some time. Good luck to him.

========================================================

Glanville is the head coach of the Portland State Vikings.:)

Let him stay there.

I wish John the best on his much deserved retirement, but I will miss his big game voice and his onair play diagrams that always seemed to end up looking anatomically inspired. (to his credit, he seemed to give male and female anatomies equal opportunity for his freehand inspiration) ;:D

Never had a problem with Madden. Thought he was entertaining enough for the booth and had some enjoyable insight into the game. Hard thing to replace him as the brand that he has established himself as.

Guess I might be able to catch him at the Outback Steakhouse in the Bay area now.

I hated Madden when he was the Raiders coach. As a broadcaster he's always kept the field even, never showing favorites no matter how he felt inside. I'm gonna miss his insight and call of the game and most of all his voice much the same way I miss Fred Cusick, Ned Martin, and last but not least Johnny Most.

Awful news. Mostly because they keep coming up with the worst talking heads they can find to cover NFL games. Kornheiser, Gumbel, Collinsworth... the list goes on. NFL is getting unlistenable.

My all time favorite Madden moment was when he was breaking down a missed FG on a game I was watching and he described it via replay as follows; "See, the ball should go through here, but instead it went weeb, weeb, weeb, off to the right and the guy missed the FG as a result."

Classic.

You'll be missed big fella...........

My all time favorite Madden moment was when he was breaking down a missed FG on a game I was watching and he described it via replay as follows; "See, the ball should go through here, but instead it went weeb, weeb, weeb, off to the right and the guy missed the FG as a result."

Classic.

You'll be missed big fella...........

My fav was when he said, "There's an A hole [gap] and a b hole and he went right up the a hole." And it didn't even phase him.

While his later years were less informative, his early years really helped the average fan learn a little bit about the game. He wasn't breaking down the tape on every play, but he would take the time to really impart some nuggets of wisdom. He's actually the reason that my girlfriend at the time came to really like football. He brought her into the game a little bit without making it seem as if he was talking down to those who didn't understand the game.

im gonna miss john madden he is my all time favorite sportscaster. this morning, before the announcment, opie and anthony were talking about how madden lived near them and how he was always eating fatty unhealthy meals and that he should be more worried about his heart than his flying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye