PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Hannah reveals SnowPlow really interfered rather than helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what Hannah is talking about. Sure looks to me like the spot of the ball was smack dab in the middle of that swath the guy plowed.

If such a thing happened today, teh interwebz would broke.

Miami made a huge deal about the fact that the Patriots had sent in a criminal to execute another criminal act. Whenever we played Miami in Florida during the years after that game, they sold a bunch of fake plastic snowballs to the fans. The fans would pelt us with thousands of those things as we ran into the stadium.

This part is funny too. -- they never showed the fish fans doing that on TV. So not just fader fans are bad losers

I was at that game and other than the snow plow what I remember most is what a crappy game it was. Horribly boring, bad weather... But, the thought I had today was imagine if that happened now with Bill Belichick calling the shots? It would be like driving a gasoline truck into a bonfire.

Pretty sure I read John Smith saying the plow pushed over where they had made a spot. That film brings back memories, but Don Shula was not the happy laughing guy on that clip then. He was out of his mind, he was screaming and spinning his head around and he had a big vein sticking out on his head or neck that looked like it was going to explode. Ha ha. good times.

I was at that game and other than the snow plow what I remember most is what a crappy game it was. Horribly boring, bad weather... But, the thought I had today was imagine if that happened now with Bill Belichick calling the shots? It would be like driving a gasoline truck into a bonfire.

That's pretty cool to be able to hold those memories, Jackson2. I can see why you'd have thought the game to be quite boring. I'm sure you had no idea that it would still be discussed years and years later.

That's pretty cool to be able to hold those memories, Jackson2. I can see why you'd have thought the game to be quite boring. I'm sure you had no idea that it would still be discussed years and years later.
Honestly Supa, there were times in those days and afterwards (Orthwein) when I wondered if there would even be NEP franchise much longer. So, yes you're right. That game was just a blip on the radar screen, although an odd one for sure.

831405032.gif

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/...st-snow-games-in-patriots-history-gifs-video/

Honestly Supa, there were times in those days and afterwards (Orthwein) when I wondered if there would even be NEP franchise much longer.

And probably very rightly so, I would assume. It's probably easy for the newer generation to forget that Robert Kraft was the savior for this team in the early 90s. If I remember correctly, the rumor was a move to St.Louis, although someone like you would obviously know much better.

We certainly have a lot to be thankful for as fans--particularly those like yourself who reside in the area.

And probably very rightly so, I would assume. It's probably easy for the newer generation to forget that Robert Kraft was the savior for this team in the early 90s. If I remember correctly, the rumor was a move to St.Louis, although someone like you would obviously know much better.

We certainly have a lot to be thankful for as fans--particularly those like yourself who reside in the area.
Well, thank you but these days I'm just a guy who like most others here just loves this team. I know I've written this a few times before, but my father took me to the first game against the Broncos in 1960 and I was hooked. I was a season ticket holder for a couple of years in the early 70s until parenthood came along. I still remember O J Simpson running right in front of our section one day for what seemed like 5000 yards in one game. In the 80s my best buddy and I used to drive to a bar in Millbury to watch home games because they were blacked out. The bar had a cable system which, for some reason, had Channel 22 in Springfield which was outside the blackout area. I know I'm a homer and it's because for decades things were usually so bad that rooting for this team now is like being in paradise by comparison. I don't always have the patience I should have with newer fans whom I don't think always have a perspective (not their fault) regarding what it was like. My lack of patience is my fault, not theirs, but I can't always help it, unfortunately. Sorry for the rant!

I was there as well. A tough day weatherwise to be sure.

A couple of years later, at a function for Patriots STHs (there weren't very many of us in those days), I met Ron Meyer who talked about how angry Shula was. I believe Shula was on the competition committee at the time and was incredibly influential. He used his influence there to ensure the Miami did not play a late season game at NE for many years.

On a happier note, I brought a date to the game that day, someone who I had been seeing for a couple of months. At first, seeing the weather, she was a bit surprised that we were still going to the game (or that they were even playing at all). But she toughed it out with nary a complaint.

I guess it was that day at the game that I thought, hmm ... this just might be something different.

You can probably guess the ending. Last January, we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. And she is a BIG Patriots fan (along with the Sox, Bruins and Celtics).

Last edited:

Orthwein was really brought in by the league to position the franchise for sale. St Louis was the target. So Orth hires a marquis HC, Bill Parcells to shape up the franchise for sale at max dollars. Reebok billionaire Paul Fireman was the local everyone was rooting for to buy the team & keep it here but out of nowhere Kraft buys the team.

Bob Kraft then tries to build a privately funded stadium in Southie but the Boston pols had an antipathy to Kraft and were puppets of the Red Sox who did not want another major league with a downtown stadium competing for fan obsession. The Southie plans were thwarted by politics so Kraft considered and threatened to move the team to Hartford CT. I remember considering how long my commute would be there from Metrowest Sudbury, home of Freddie Smerlas. Hartford took the bid seriously and when MA relented enough to agree to improve route 1 exit/entry to a new stadium Kraft left Hartford at the altar (bitter feelings) and built the new facility with luxury boxes & red seats for the moneyed crowd.

At least Kraft is a fan. I'm sure a lot of us had this reaction after that game. Maybe some a bit more "animated."
robert-kraft-gif.gif

It wasn't even a rumor. It was something Orthwein was actively and openly trying to do. It was Kraft that stopped him from doing it by not letting him out of his stadium lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back