PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Farrell - Hired By Red Sox Through 2015.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Do not get the infatuation with this guy, struggled in Toronto... now we are going to give up prospects for him??

Makes no sense, my thoughts are to hire a newbie like Ausmus, Pena or Wallach for a reasonable two year deal, with a club option for a third. Give him a chance and if he really shyts the bed, fire him and then hire Farrell who will be available after next year.

Do not understand why there is so much love for Farrell.. this team needs to completely reinvent how they do business..

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: John Farrell???

I have no faith in this front office to make the right decisions to improve this disaster of a team. We better be giving up crap like what we got for Epstein.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do not get the infatuation with this guy, struggled in Toronto... now we are going to give up prospects for him??

Makes no sense, my thoughts are to hire a newbie like Ausmus, Pena or Wallach for a reasonable two year deal, with a club option for a third. Give him a chance and if he really shyts the bed, fire him and then hire Farrell who will be available after next year.

Do not understand why there is so much love for Farrell.. this team needs to completely reinvent how they do business..
That's pretty much, word for word, exactly how I feel. I just don't see anything noteworthy about this guy that made the Sox so desperate to get him.

As a Jays fan, this pleases me. :rocker:

Last edited:
Re: John Farrell - Hired.

Darryl I slightly edited your thread title ...
hope you don't mind but you deserved to be the OP for the Farrell thread.

Red Sox have hired John Farrell and have shipped Mike Aviles to the jays. I am not crazy about Farrell but trading Aviles is fine with me ... he's useless.

Red Sox hire manager John Farrell away from the Blue Jays, send Mike Aviles to Toronto | HardballTalk

From Sean McAdam of CSN New England comes word that the Red Sox have hired current Blue Jays skipper John Farrell to be their next manager.
Farrell has already worked out a contract with Boston that will run through 2015. Compensation for Toronto will be announced in the next couple days.

Last edited:
UPDATE, 12:12 AM: WEEI.com reports that the Blue Jays are receiving middle infielder Mike Aviles, who batted .250/.282/.381 with 13 home runs, 14 stolen bases and 60 RBI in 136 games this past season for the Red Sox.

Toronto will send a player to be named or cash to Boston along with Farrell.

UPDATE, 12:21 AM: Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun says Adam Lind may be heading to the Sox.
Red Sox hire manager John Farrell away from the Blue Jays, send Mike Aviles to Toronto | HardballTalk

Last edited:

Reports out of Toronto say Adam Lind is also heading to Boston.

Edit: ahh, beaten to it. :singing:

Last edited:

Reports out of Toronto say Adam Lind is also heading to Boston.

Edit: ahh, beaten to it. :singing:

Is Lind a stiff? :nosmile:

Not crazy about Farrell ... wish you guys still had him - hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

Forget about them, you were lucky enough to see them win a couple of World Series. The sox are headed back to where they were for most of our lives, so enjoy the memories of 04 and 07.

Watching the Red Sox reminds of a traveling carnie show.

Darryl I slightly edited your thread title ... hope you don't mind but one Farrell thread is enough for the forum.

Red Sox have hired John Farrell and have shipped Mike Aviles to the jays. I am not crazy about Farrell but trading Aviles is fine with me ... he's useless.

if aviles is the compensation i can live with that. aviles is still more than the sox got back for theo a GM. that deal still irritates the crap out of me. for those who look at farrel and how poorly the jays played under him. terry francona didn't do very well in Philly either and bill belichick and his cleveland days also comes to mind. so don't let that bother you to much.

Last edited:
Forget about them, you were lucky enough to see them win a couple of World Series. The sox are headed back to where they were for most of our lives, so enjoy the memories of 04 and 07.

Easy now Flex' ... go easy ... Cowboy Up!!!

millar1.jpg

Last edited:

Is Lind a stiff? :nosmile:

Not crazy about Farrell ... wish you guys still had him - hope I am wrong.
Depends which Lind shows up next season. He averaged 28 homers between 2009-11 (35, 23, 26) but was horrible to begin last season and got sent down to AAA for about a month. He did better when he returned to Toronto but it was probably only a matter of time before the Jays got rid of him due to his salary and the performance of other players at his positions (1B/DH). Here's his remaining salary:

2013: $5 million
2014: $7 million club option ($2M buyout)
2015: $7.5 million club option ($1.5M buyout)
2016: $8 million club option ($500K buyout)

Last edited:
The Red Sox "braintrust" must think we are all a bunch of morons, this was the plan from the beginning... why go through the motions of interviewing a bunch of "guys" to appease the masses...

I like Farrell, but do not view him as some type of savior... Lind is interesting, I liked him best when he was with "Electric Light Orchestra" or the "Travelling Wilbury's"....

GordonEdes "Adam Lind is not part of deal with Toronto, a baseball source said, putting that speculation to rest."
that was a gordon edes tweat.

Last edited:

This. I had talked myself into Ausmus being a good fit.

Six months ago, I was all over Farrell. Now, it just smacks of previous guys they've fell in love with (Lugo, Reteria, Gonzalez) who we all knew they were going to get, and didn't work out here. The ownership does lock in on guys.

Insano is right, however, Tito and BB had zero cache when they came to town, and they worked out. I'll give this guy a pass and see how he does. What I don't understand is if he was "the guy" all along, whey did they let him leave to begin with?

Either way, he's here, and he doesn't run, catch, hit or throw. Go find us some players now.

Depends which Lind shows up next season. He averaged 28 homers between 2009-11 (35, 23, 26) but was horrible to begin last season and got sent down to AAA for about a month. He did better when he returned to Toronto but it was probably only a matter of time before the Jays got rid of him due to his salary and the performance of other players at his positions (1B/DH). Here's his remaining salary:

2013: $5 million
2014: $7 million club option ($2M buyout)
2015: $7.5 million club option ($1.5M buyout)
2016: $8 million club option ($500K buyout)

Hahaha we're not getting Lind.

Deal has been finalized. Farrell and pitcher David Carpenter to Boston for Aviles.

Listened to a LOT of Jays games and the reason for this year's struggles was the health of the pitching staff. The Jays were losing starters left and right, they had to go down to Single A to pick up pitchers. The health of the team was horrible. Joey bats was hurt a lot, the pitching staff was falling apart like my mental health.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back