Welcome to PatsFans.com

John F Kennedy critiques from

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by TheSolderKing, Jun 9, 2011.

1. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

people who lived through his short term in office? I am 24 so this counts me out

Harry no comments I am Irish I take offense to JFK bashing:mad:

I want to know primary source accounts since you lived and experienced it. I know many here are old enough to recollect and make valid statements pertaining about JFK
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

We'd have to be 70+ yrs old bro...doubt many here are that age other than Harry. He was elected in '60 and one would have to be at least 20 to have an adult perspective of him.

All I remember (barely) is watching his funeral at the age of 4 with my parents.
  3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

He died 48 years ago. You would not have to be 70+ to remember his term.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

He didn't have much time to do anything except have a few wrestling matches with Marilyn Monroe, I used to think he was a liberal but jesus christ look at the bunch of loony bastards we've got running around this country today, JFK would have had Obama thrown out of the kitchen window if he saw him kissing ass with all of those cruddy dictators.

I'm Irish too-------:rocker:
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

I thought SK was asking for first hand opinions of his term because he asked for "Critiques". So to have an independent opinion of him (not one influenced by your parents opinion), one would have to at least been old enough to vote for him. I didn't think SK was asking for memories. If that's the case, I'm sure some of us have some.

If one was 10 when Kennedy died, they would not be qualified to give any critiques.

If we do the math... that means one would have to have been 21 in 1960, so that's 51 years.

51 + 21 = 72

You're right, I was off by 2 years!
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well lets ask SK--Would you be interested in anything from those between 10 and 20 years of age during his term? Current events were addressed in school back then after all.
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

Pretty good president, cut marginal tax rates, staunchly anti communist, would never be nominated by the current dem party. Would have been closer to Palin than Obama interms of policy.
  8. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

Really, because the Civil Rights movement was his policy. He went against his military ad visors on the blockage of Cuba. When he sent a man to the moon, it was almost unrealistic. All policies which would be be light years closer to Obama's then Palins.
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Thats exactly what I was trying to say, today's Liberals would have crucified him for his infedelity because today he would have been considered "a righty".

The Kennedys treated their women like sh!t (semen recepticles) Jackie told Teddy to go f-ck himself when Teddy tried to pull his Kennedy Crap on her telling her not to be seen with Onassis, Jackie straightend Uncle Teddy out, she married Onassis
  10. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

And there you have it, SK, the important observations Harry made of JFK's presidency.

:rolleyes:

Like Carter, he attempted to reverse a foreign coup, but in Cuba, not Iran. Like Obama, sent guys kill an enemy leader (Kennedy failed w/Castro; Obama succeeded w/Bin Laden.)

Unlike Bush, he didn't just say "he didn't really care where he was."

Unlike Reagan, he didn't invade a medical school and tell everybody what a BAMF he is (or send Marines to sit in barracks as a target, also a Reagan tactic.)

He'd be squarely in his own party today, the Democrats, despite the usual rightist claims that all good things were "really" republican (ditto FDR.) It's the righties that have been all "oooooh the war is so terrible" the last couple years, after all. (love it or leave it, hippies.)

As to his record of accomplishment: Well, we didn't all die, right? Other than that, meh. Two years, yanno? But he galvanized the country and passed the word that everybody didn't think like the "old men" of the day about things like civil rights -- i.e., he provided a visual and emotional cue that the young are by nature not wrong and bad. That ballooned in a variety of ways after his death. LBJ on his own would not have been LBJ on his mission to continue JFK's work.

A very interesting time, and a mixed bag -- both the times and the individual.

PFnV
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

He would never be able to win a dem primary. He was more aggressive and attacked Cuba, expanded out involvement in Viet Nam and went to the brink of WW3 against a country that had never harmed us (a la Bush), he was an aggressive anti communist (even more than Reagan)while most dems. Foreign policy was very Reagan/Bush.

Economically he was supply side oriented reducing marginal tax rates to spur the economy, and he didn't go in for massive increases in government entitlement programs (that was LBJ). Something no democrat would do now.

His stance on civil rights was cautious but supportive he worked with republicans to defeat the segregationist democrats. OTOH he had his brother investigating and wiretapping MLK.

Don't see where many of his policies reflect the rabid leftism of Obama. He never hung around with communist like Obama has his entire life.
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +312 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Just an observation, PF13. I know you want to sound knowledgable and informed....and maybe you are - you do tend to seem to read alot, although what you read seems to be pretty one-sided. You have your opinions and you are entitled to them - just as we all are.

The truth is, however, that any time you make remarks such as these, and you tend to make plenty of them, you do not sound knowledgable or informed - you sound old - and really, really bitter.

The other truth is, Kennedy was as tight as you can get with trade unions - something Palin would never be - and while he maybe never hung around with "communists" he did tend to spend a good deal of time with mobsters and mafia dons - rumor has it that he even shared a mistress with Sam Giancana who exerted much influence to win Illinois for Kennedy.

Sam Giancana
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

Although at 52 years of age, I have no better insight into JFK than you should have SK, I'll mention that he helped create the Peace Corp. I might even list that accomplishment in his Top-10.
  14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Also Kennedy had bad back, Marilyn Monroe and Angie Dickinson used to come to the White House when he was in real pain, Kennedy would lie down on the floor in the Lincoln Bedroom, Marilyn and Angie would take off all their clothes and walk on his back.
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

I was 16 so I remember him well, he had a lot of star power where I grew up (Newport RI) because of the Auchincloss Homestead and his vacationing there in the summer.

There is a tendency to use today's values on what occurred 48 years ago.. so it is a difficult assessment. You can look at history books, but in reality he was a sign of hope against communism. At that time everyone was scared shytless of being incinerated by some atom bomb.. he stood up to Kruschev and handled the Cuban Missile Crisis as well as anyone could have.

Remember the day he was shot, we were let out of school early and me and a friend, went to a local hotel where he was a bar boy and watched the news sitting at a bar(no alcohol)... it was a very unsettling time, and one of those things indellibly etched into the psyche.
  16. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

I don't know why I even bother.........................your comparing a politician in another era saying he wouldn't be elected today. How's that work for you regarding Lincoln?
  17. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought we had SOME person of age I was fishing for 1 that would respond. I figured 1 old Die-hard PAT would be a member

it isn't too important I wanted to change the atmosphere a little:)

thnx for feedback the 2 or so that did.
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

I am pointing out the obvious, yes he was from a different era before the dems were taken over by the extreme left, thanks for noticing. since I am 58 I was able to pay attention if rather young.

You would agree most of his policies would not be accepted in today's dem party?
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

You're 58, and you were paying attention to JFK's presidency, huh?
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Here is a basic fact you fail to understand, if you look at something that happened a while ago, you cannot just apply today's standards.. everything has changed, the media, the political climate, the economy, how we live, how we get information etc.

You also fail to understand the basic history of the democratic party, when they chose to stand up for civil rights there was a massive split.. so what was salient then is no longer now.. those from the south emigrated to the republican party.

Stop all the crap about being taken over by some left wing subversive force.. what happened then probably could not happen now and versa vica.