Welcome to PatsFans.com

John Edwards...To Plea or Not To Plea

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, May 25, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

The Justice Department plans to move ahead with criminal charges against the former senator and presidential candidate John Edwards, contending that he misused campaign funds to cover up an affair with his mistress, a person close to Mr. Edwards said Wednesday morning.

“DOJ has made its decision to move forward with charges,” the person told The New York Times in an e-mail. “This phase of the case is moving rapidly toward conclusion,” the person added, but did not clarify whether this meant that an indictment was coming or that the whole case was moving toward a conclusion through a plea bargain.

The news of the Justice Department’s plan was first reported by ABC News on Tuesday night.

A plea arrangement might provide for Mr. Edwards, a former Democratic senator from North Carolina and trial lawyer, to admit to wrongdoing and surrender his license to practice law but also to avoid a costly and embarrassing trial.

A public trial could also prove awkward for Mr. Edwards because Rielle Hunter, his mistress and one-time campaign videographer, has been shopping a book to publishers, two publishing executives told The New York Times on Wednesday. It is not clear whether anyone has agreed yet to publish it, but conceivably, Mr. Edwards could be denying charges during a trial while Ms. Hunter’s book could be asserting the opposite.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/26/us/26edwards.html
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Just another partisan thread from the Mrs, trying to make the Dems look bad... :)
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Dude, I know.....shame on me....the partisan police will be knockin' on my PM door any minute now.

Contrary to what some people seem to think - I try to call it like I see it....regardless of who did it or what party they belong to. If I seem to "single out" one side more than the other - well sometimes maybe there's just more to single out there.

John Edwards is a sleeze bag. Being a democrat doesn't make him any less of a sleeze bag. Being a Republican wouldn't have made him any more of sleeze bag. (With this caveat: that had he tried to impeach an opposite party president for having an affair while he was having his own affair - he still would have been as big a sleeze - he just would have added hypocrite to his list of sins.)

I have no problem with Edwards going to jail - or being made to pay back any campaign funds he may have misused - I'd rather see him do that than make some backroom plea bargin, I think.

I think I'll buy Reille's book just for the he!! of it.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

He is out of public life I don't care anymore.
  5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#54 Jersey
    The misappropriation of campaign funds is still a pretty important issue, his sleaziness aside.
  6. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Correct on both counts and the DOJ should go after him but he is a sleazebag.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Edwards is lower than whale shyt.. what a scumbag. Nice hair though.
  8. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Hair, teeth, charming southern drawl. All the makings for a dbag. Hope the DOJ nails him to the wall.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

not if this is drifitng or not...but...

How the flunk is Newt Gingritch still a candidate, and John Edwards is the plague? Dudes pulled some eerily similar shizzz....

anyway...Edwards is a scumbucket. I 'd easily piledrive him instantly on meeting his scummy face.

boom-shakka-lakka
  10. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Newt found Jesus (again) and his flip flopping is nothing to worry about. After all he is a Washington outsider, according to him. I swear you cant make this stuff up.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

YouTube - ‪Crazy Pills‬‏

Mugatu said it best....
  12. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#54 Jersey
    Hey! I've got hair and a southern drawl. Oh wait...you also need teeth to make you a douchebag.

Whew!
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey: