PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton predicts Pats to go 10-6 and Steelers to win SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
How was the schedule last year when they went 11-5 without Brady?

Neither player got injured last year when they went 11-5 without Brady. The cushion player was Meriweather, since Rodney and Sanders were the starters. There's not a Meriweather ready to fill in if someone goes down right now.

Rodney was out 10 of the games.

I'll take Chung and MacGowan anyday over whoever was backing up Meriweather and Sanders down the stretch.

I'll also take a Brady "coming off an injury" over Matt Cassel.

I'll take our secondary (though still not great) over what we had last year.

I'll take our OL's depth over last year's.

I'll take our RB's over last year.

I'll take our WR depth over last year.

I'll take our ST's over last year.

I'll take our TE's over last year.

I think losing Vrabel will hurt. I think losing Seymour will hurt (though not as much in the long-term as letting him walk with only a 3rd rounder in 2010).

I disagree with Clayton's prediction, but I certainly believe he's entitled to his opinion. Predictions are relatively worthless anyhow.

So now trading Seymour is a white flag from Belichick? Good GOD. People need to unbunch the panties.

I don't think he is putting up the white flag but this isn't just your routine trade. I have always thought that Seymour has been one of the most important players on this team. To trade a player like that means either that he isn't as integral to the team as I thought (which is a possibility) or that you know you have to bite the bullet either this year or next, and you chose this year for a reason. What reason, other then Myron Pryor is the biggest steal in the draft this side of brady, is there for trading away a season of your most integral player on defense for a pick that will help you three seaons from now.

I disagree with Clayton's prediction, but I certainly believe he's entitled to his opinion. Predictions are relatively worthless anyhow.

This is the key

Rodney was out 10 of the games.

I'll take Chung and MacGowan anyday over whoever was backing up Meriweather and Sanders down the stretch.

I'll also take a Brady "coming off an injury" over Matt Cassel.

I'll take our secondary (though still not great) over what we had last year.

I'll take our OL's depth over last year's.

I'll take our RB's over last year.

I'll take our WR depth over last year.

I'll take our ST's over last year.

I'll take our TE's over last year.

I think losing Vrabel will hurt. I think losing Seymour will hurt (though not as much in the long-term as letting him walk with only a 3rd rounder in 2010).

I agree that the 2009 team is better than the 2008 team, but the 2008 team benefited from one of the easiest schedules in the NFL. The two divisions that we played were won with records of 8-8 and 9-7: they were clearly, by far, the two worst divisions in the NFL. 11-5 against them isn't quite the accomplishment that it would be against even a league-average schedule. Just shows how important Brady really is to the team (and doubly reinforces how awesome it is that he's back and hopefully near 100%).

Even as a better team, I'm not sure that I'd count on the Pats finishing with a large jump in record over last year, because we'll be facing more good teams than we did last year. They certainly could, and if I had to guess I'd peg them at 12-4, but I don't think that Clayton's prediction is nearly as outrageous as some here are claiming. I think it's wrong, but not ridiculous.

Last edited:
My unwillingness to berate and insult Clayton for daring to put the Patriots at 10-6 and behind the Steelers under the circumstances does not mean either that I agree with him or that I think I'm one step ahead of the rest of you here. It's a preseason prediction, for crying out loud.

Daring? That sounds brave. Do I detect some praise in that? Look it, Clayton earns his criticism. He has a history of picking against the Pats. When it comes to the Pats, the glass is always half empty with him. On the contrary, if he wrote about the Patriots improved chances with their stoked offense this year then that would be daring coming from that guy.

they trade seymour and now they say they are 10-6 when they beat the bills on monday 45 to 17

they will say no one can stop them brady is back and they are going 19 and 0

i say the pats go 12-4 win the AFC EAST and get the #2 seed in the playoffs

will they get to the big dance i dont know if the D plays good yes if the D is bad then they will lose in the first round of the playoffs

I'd say the prediction is on the low end of where I'd place the Pats (anywhere from 10-6 to 13-3, although I think 12-4) which isn't surprising considering it's Clayton, but hey he can believe what he wants. As far as Pittsburgh goes, they won the Superbowl and have one of the easiest schedules, if not the easiest, in the league so that is a good, albeit safe, pick on his part.

John Clayton is an annoying little squirrel-man. Who gives a rat's hiney what he thinks.

Good. I feel a lot better about the Pats chances now...

So the Pats are going to be worse with Brady? :confused: Whatever, everybody has their opinion. I can't wait to see Pats fans rip him to shreds over this.

While I don't agree with his prediction, the obvious comeback to your question is: yes they will be worse even with Brady back because of a worse defense and tougher schedule.

A d-line with its best player going to Oakland about a week before game 1

At one time he was the best D-Lineman on the Pats, IMO he would have been the 3rd best behind Wilfolk and Warren this year.

At one time he was the best D-Lineman on the Pats, IMO he would have been the 3rd best behind Wilfolk and Warren this year.

Nope. Second best. He's by far the better end out of himself and Warren. Wilfork is the best on the line and the best NT in football.

Nope. Second best. He's by far the better end out of himself and Warren. Wilfork is the best on the line and the best NT in football.

Weird how different perceptions can be- I always had Seymour as #1, with Warren edging Wilfork out as #2. My perception (that Wilfork is extremely good, but somewhat overrated) has never been a popular one around here though :p

Last edited:
Weird how different perceptions can be- I always had Seymour as #1, with Warren edging Wilfork out as #2. My perception (that Wilfork is extremely good, but somewhat overrated) has never been a popular one around here though :p

And isn't it also funny how the same people who spent the past two years absolutely hating on Seymour before are now blowing their brains out with .357 Magnums over his trade? I've thought that was humorous myself anyways.

And isn't it also funny how the same people who spent the past two years absolutely hating on Seymour before are now blowing their brains out with .357 Magnums over his trade? I've thought that was humorous myself anyways.

Hahaha yeah it is. If only Seymour had this many supporters before he got traded. It always seemed like there were maybe 3 or 4 us here that really liked him, along with a lot of indifferent people and the standard "he sucks/lazy/is overrated/ is overpaid" crowd.

Wasn't there a poll last season about keeping Seymour vs. Wilfork where almost everyone voted Wilfork? I took so much crap for choosing Seymour...

Last edited:
I'm trying to think about the last time I gave a sh!t what Clayton thought.

Ohhh, that would be never. :rolleyes:

The Steelers offense has more holes in it than our defense does. Clayton is entitled to his prediction, and that's all they are. Musings going into a season and nothing more.

I really don't care how many games we win/lose, as long as the Patriots have the opportunity to play in the Superbowl with a close to full roster, I'll pick us every day of the week.

Whilst I'd love 19-0, I'm not overly concerned.

It's a prediction. He get paid to make them. We don't agree. So???

A SHORT ANALYSIS

1) Of course, the offense will be better with Brady back, with a healthy Maroney, with additions of Taylor, Baker and Matthews. The wide receivers will be better because of Brady whether or not there is an increase or decrease in the quality of the WR's.

2) The defense has lost Seymour, Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel and Hobbs. We are counting on Alexander as a backup ILB. There are a lot of new vets and a lot of untested kids. Is it just possible that the defense won't be a top defense or even a good one? We think that we will be fine. We think that we won't be useless in the red zone and on 3rd down as we were last year. We think that Bodden, Springs and the kids will stop guys like TO, no problem!

3) This year's schedule is much more difficult than last year's schedule.

Is it crazy for someone to look at the defense and the schedule and believe that we will do the same or one game worse? I didn't check, but I suspect that Clayton picks us to win the division.

I think that Clayton is wrong, but not crazy in his prediction.

We made our predictions before we lost Seymour. I'm sure that those who predicted 16-0 will continue to do so. We are patriot homers. Clayton is not. Of course, he isn't reasonable either, but that is a separate issue.

My personal prediction was 12-4; now it's 11-5. If Clayton is crazy to predict 10-6, I must be close to crazy to predict 11-5.

Clayton can kiss my ass.

QB12

careful now.....he may take you up on that! :) Clayton is a friggin fruitcake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes