PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton: Pats Talking with Raiders About Derrick Burgess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this trade is taking a while because they are working on a new contract for Burgess??? Or do they do that after the trade?

there is no way they give a second for that dude, and the third would have to be 2011.

Wow, it's hard to believe they will give a second and a third for this guy when he has one year left. What did they give for Ted Washington for a year? Wasn't it a fourth?

A 2nd AND A 3RD ???? Are you kidding me ??????? NO freakin way, BB is not that stupid. I would rather develop Crable on his rookie contract and keep the picks.

Last edited:
why is everone so up in arms when it comes to picks, its not like Belichick uses all his draft picks.. :D

No, they will receive a 2nd OR A 3rd for Burgess.

The whole thing doesn't ring right. If the Pats sign Burgess to a new contract, you'd think it will carry at least a 2 or 3 mil cap hit. Does that leave enough money left to sign the rooks and still have a 1 mil injury cushion?

Maybe, (I'm just thinking out loud), they'll sign him to a 3 year contract and trade him, Green and Kaczur for...pick one of Suggs/Peppers/Dansby. I know that sounds whacked, but I'm just trying to voice the possibility that the Pats might be trying to do a sign and trade. :confused2:

A rent a player with a fair contract isn't worth a 2nd, and isn't worth a 3rd, unless they play a certain amount of snaps.

I would offer a sliding scale of 3rd-6th pick. 6th being cut or injured for year before season starts. 3rd for > 18 plays a game/ave. Others in the middle.

I was under the impression there was a possibly outstanding 1.5m roster bonus.

hey -- where are the player contract details on nflpa.org?

You have to sign up for the site to be able to view contract details.

J D Sal

Not true.

Burgess's roster bonus would be the Pats responisbility if it comes due after the trade, and it isn't likely the Raiders will pay the bonus and then trade him.

EDIT: Think back to the timing of the Vrabel trade and who paid his roster bonus.
Yes, that is correct. I meant previously paid bonus money. I'd be surprised if the Pats assumed an outstanding roster bonus though, unless he extend.

J D Sal

I'm probably the closest thing to a Ben Watson fan on this board (as in: I don't think that it was a terrible pick, and I think that he's a serviceable starter at TE), but I would have no problem at all with a Watson/Burgess trade. As others have stated on this thread, Watson is exactly the kind of guy that Al Davis loves, and we have plenty of guys at the position.

Please god let it happen. At least the pass rush would be better.

A second would be a really bad trade. A 3rd should be the highest the Pats go.

Please help me to understand why that is. In my mind, if this guy could be the last piece for a championship (IDK if he is) and since we already have 3 2nd rounders, why not take a flyer on him even if the cost is a 2nd?

Remind me again which second rounder picks we acquired? Ours, Tenn and ????

2nd rounder maybe a bit too much..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back