PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton: Pats Talking with Raiders About Derrick Burgess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Caserio pretty much came out and told everyone they were looking to trade for an LB during his recent Q&A session so it's a plausible rumor.

I was at the Caserio Q & A and by no means did he pretty much come out and tell everyone they were looking to trade for a LB.

In fact his comments were more the opposite. He said he liked the guys they had he also said there is a lot of time left in the offseason for something to happen but he never said they were looking for a trade. And I took the comment to mean they are always looking for ways to improve the team at any position.

That doesn't mean this rumor has to be false but I would not assume anything from the comments of Nick Caserio that above have been taken out of context.

Somehow I can't see any NFL personnel man giving a turtle's turd what a player's Madden rating is. Well, Dan Snyder may sign players based on Fantasy Football "production" but he's the only one.

You could sub in Jerry Jones or Al Davis...

Jerky Jones admitted that he wants full press, all of the time.

I dunno, maybe now he is changing since TO is gone.

What, you think John Madden is responsible for all ther ratings on the game?

Seriously, off course John Madden has the ear of Davis. HOWEVER, Davis listens to no one. Just check out his wacky drafts.

Madden doesn't have the ear of Al Davis?

Did Clayton mention if Burgess already got his $1.5 million roster bonus??

he was due a 1.5m roster bonus?

do you have his contract details?

dude can you do me a favor and add up the Madden Ratings for all players on all teams and then tell me which teams have the top 5 highest scores?

I'm looking for a quick way to make easy money, and i don't really care for the whole "working hard" thing, so maybe we can make something happen.

I'm sure glad you found this secret out. We could live like Kings.

i. love. you.

sweet!

dude, i had no idea there was a salary database like that.
and to think all those times I saw you link usa today, I thought it was just some article about the player in question.

anyway, somewhere in this thread somebody quotes somebody saying he'd save the raiduhs 3.5m in cap, so maybe they haven't paid off on that.

are those roster bonuses usually june 1st things?

edit:I guess I could have checked out your salary resources link......

more edits: I think this link is dead
Pat Kirwin on NFL.com lists 17 tips for personnel decisions and salary cap management
and
John Clayton explains what happens to a team when it goes over the salary cap cliff.

Last edited:
edit: ok, the second would make more sense if you're oakland, but would you trade a second to rent a guy for one year?

IF he's considered to be the "last piece of the puzzle" (I don't know if he is), and if the Pats are loaded with seconds (they are), then I would say YES.

What, you think John Madden is responsible for all ther ratings on the game?

Seriously, off course John Madden has the ear of Davis. HOWEVER, Davis listens to no one. Just check out his wacky drafts.

...eh.

I'm trying to insert some humor here.

Do you really think that I'm THAT whacked?

No, don't answer that...

Speed baby. Speed! - Al Davis. :D

I would love this move and would actually much prefer over Jason Taylor.

Same here. He's still got some juice in him and would make our defense more dangerous.

It could be a player for player trade. Considering we are overloaded at TE, sending Watson and receiving Burgess. Their salaries are not even but their production is. So is their injury history. Watson is also a freak of an athlete. I like Watson. I'm not a hater. Watson is expendable and he has value.

Al Davis would love to have watson. Al loves speedy guys. Go Pats:singing:

Al Davis would love to have watson. Al loves speedy guys. Go Pats:singing:

You read my mind.
Davis does have a speed obsession.
What are we waiting for?

the problem, I would imagine, is that if all they canget is the 5th, why not just hold him, get the production of a motivated player, and then cash out on the comp pick?

Comp picks are only awarded if a team loses more eligible FAs than it signs--there is no guarantee that the Raiders will get compensated if they lose Burgess (and probably wouldn't since they are a lower-tier team talentwise). A bird in the hand is worth a lot more than one in the bush, in this case.

On the flip side, it is highly likely that the Patriots will be losing more eligible FAs than they sign in 2010, meaning that they'd probably get a comp pick back from Burgess (if he weren't to extend). This may make the one-year rental option more palatable to the Patriots.

Last edited:
Last edited:
IF he's considered to be the "last piece of the puzzle" (I don't know if he is), and if the Pats are loaded with seconds (they are), then I would say YES.

I totally agree with this post. The question is, is he that piece?

Personally, I also think Burgess would be a better move then getting Taylor would have been, FWIW.

I'm always "amused" when people are "bemused". Just to be sure you're not "confused" by my comment, let me attempt to "defuse" the situation by saying I agree with you on Redd (all he has shown is that he has nice size).

Now we're cooking! Well done, mate.

The Byrds sang, "...To every purpose there is a Season..."

That is actually an apt phrase for what Bll Belichick does in creating his squads. I think he divides the Off season into five sub seasons. Early in the off season he decides who he will try to keep and who he will let go.

Then he enters a pre-draft season trying to sign those he wants; both on his team and available elsewhere. If he sees moments of opportunity, he may trade for a player that suddenly becomes available.

Then the draft arrives and Belichcik uses his draft picks like a Maestro, moving up and down, trying to match pick with value, for the players he seeks.

After the draft, he unleashes his dogs to corral as many UDFAs as he thinks may be able to contribute to his team. Lately he has averaged better than one UDFA keeper per year from this activity.

Finally the post draft season arrives. BB surveys all he has accomplished and maybe sees some residual areas that he would like strengthened. He enters into trade discussions to fill those holes.

And finally, THE SEASON begins.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back