PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton: Pats Talking with Raiders About Derrick Burgess

Status
Not open for further replies.
a.....NO...they do not have the money for Peppers...that would be difficult abd they will NOT upset the apple cart for him...CJ??? Not needed this year..they have outstanding wideouts now..no need...Burgess would be a lot cheaper and a better value..THAT is fine...

I saw Burgess, Peppers and Ocho Cinco at the Dunkin' Donuts at Logan today!

Is he an upgrade over Vrabel?

i dont know if Burgess is a upgrade over vrabel but any one of our young LB is a upgrade over vrabel he looked slow and over powerd last year vrabel is one of my fav pats but his glory day's are over

Last edited:
i dont know if Burgess is a upgrade over vrabel but any one of our young LB is a upgrade over vrabel he looked slow and over powerd last year vrabel is one of my fav pats but his glory day's are over

Vrabel's had a bad back since at least 2006.

Vrabel was a great, great warrior for the Patriots. I will miss him also. That said: he was never what you would call fast. He was stout and strong on the edge but never fast. Oh, and smart too!

Vrabel's had a bad back since at least 2006.

Vrabel is gone. I think Burgess could be a great pass rusher for New England. For some reason, Raiders that come to New England has break out years, Example- Randy Moss and LaMont Jordan (I know he was injured, but he did get the job done.) Imagine having AD on one side and Burgess on the other. Two great Pass Rushers. I think the reason why AD hasnt been the way he is is because hes being doubled teamed so it would be harder to get the Pass Rush. I think the Patriots will add a few more LB's to the roster before they start making cuts to sign the draft picks. We still have 2 months till training camp, but luckily Patriots OTA starts Monday :D

Clayton just reported on 'The Huddle' that the Patriots are in "the middle stages" in talks with the Raiders about trading for Derrick Burgess. Says talks have been ongoing for @3 weeks. Says "put it on your radar," Burgess as outside linebacker for the Pats.

QB12
now if you can get that guy and turn around his career, he could probably lead the league in sacks in your D, he's fast!

he did.......?

He averaged 4.5 yards per carry compared to 3.8 when he was with the Raiders. I say that is a big improvement.

He averaged 4.5 yards per carry compared to 3.8 when he was with the Raiders. I say that is a big improvement.

I say 9 yards in a season on 2 carries is a 4.5 average.

BB says he did not see value in drafting a 'shorter' OLB ( I am paraphrasing). Burgess is 6'2''. Isn't that short to BB?

it might be a little short, but he's more of a proven commodity in terms of production --- they have nfl film on him.
plus, he's probably more of a one year rental, whereas drafted players are more like 5 year plans.

when you're drafting players, you're basically looking at all these #'s to try and guess what they can do in the nfl.
they already know what burgess can do.

anyway, it's not like belichick has actually signed the guy.

BB says he did not see value in drafting a 'shorter' OLB ( I am paraphrasing). Burgess is 6'2''. Isn't that short to BB?

i think mckenzie was only 6`3, so i guess the hights not that bad?

Last edited:
i think mckenzie was only 6`3, so i guess the hights not that bad?

McKenzie translates to ILB in the Patriots's system so the height thing isn't a factor here.

My guess is that BB has a preferred height/speed ratio for OLB that most of the draft guys didn't offer. Not that a guy has to fit into a box like that. I'm sure if we trade for Burgess BB will be fine with his size and wheels.

Ill happily take Burgess, Peppers is my number one but Burgess would be more than capable Pass Rushing threat. He would also be cheaper than Peppers if Peppers wants Jared Allen Money at the OLB position.

Sign him!!

Caserio seemed like there was some sort of player out there they might be interested, from reading the interview script. I think this is a kind of guy that would add more to our pass rush and help AD sign like he can. If the Pats can land this guy, we're officially stacked. I don't see a single hole on the team at that point.

What would we give up for him?? A second?? How long is he under contract??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes