PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton: Pats Talking with Raiders About Derrick Burgess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oakland ran a 3-4 defense a few years ago, coincidentally when Burgess had his best years on the team. So I'm sure it's not a question of whether he can play OLB or not, since he already has. Burgess is also the ideal size at 6-2, 260.

Wouldn't mind giving up another second day pick for an instant starter.

If we trade for him we are on the hook for his salary which is $3.5 mil, so I assume he will be a better OLB than Vrabel?

I thought Al Davis was never going to deal with the Pats again?

If this does happen, I expect NE will pay more than we're thinking just as an ego tax...

Wouldn't be a bad pickup, he's become my 3rd choice to get behind Peppers and Taylor and considering one is gone and the other is looking more unlikely as the days past, I can back the Pats making this move.

Last edited:
maybe miami just signed taylor to trade him to us.

FWIW........Burgess lists Randy Moss as one of his best friends on his my space page.

Haven't paid seen much of this guy. (I avoid Raider games even on my Sunday Ticket). What's his scouting report? Speed rusher? Bull rusher? Both? How is his coverage skills?

I would love this move and would actually much prefer over Jason Taylor.

Haven't paid seen much of this guy. (I avoid Raider games even on my Sunday Ticket). What's his scouting report? Speed rusher? Bull rusher? Both? How is his coverage skills?

he's already played the position, and he's so tough to stop when he's healthy that he would regularly get double teamed.
coverage skills are also good.

I suppose one concern would be health, as he missed almost half last season w/some kind of triceps injury, and I think he also missed some time in '07, but you could probably have that concern about almost anybody in the nfl.

I think his salary in '09 is only 2m, so he's very affordable, but he doesn't seem to be in the raiders long range plans, and he's probably gone after this year, anyway.
although, if he manages to stay healthy the whole year I would have thought the comp pick would be about as much as they get in a trade, but maybe he's really worth more than that.

I thought Al Davis was never going to deal with the Pats again?

If this does happen, I expect NE will pay more than we're thinking just as an ego tax...
Al can't even remember what he had for lunch today (I'm betting it was pureed). You think he's going to remember that?

Claytons report is only about a month too late. It was reported on 4/24 before the draft
Mortensen reported that the Oakland Raiders are shopping defensive end and ex-Eagle Derrick Burgess. The two teams Mortensen mentioned as possible destinations were the Eagles and the New England Patriots.

Burgess has a long history of injuries.

Claytons report is only about a month too late. It was reported on 4/24 before the draft

Burgess has a long history of injuries.

yeah, I think it was actually reported way back in feb.
I don't know how much is just speculation, though, and how much is legit interest.
teams probably talk all the time, it's not tough to guess at positions they might want to fill, and I don't think it's any secret that burgess would be on the block.

he's already played the position, and he's so tough to stop when he's healthy that he would regularly get double teamed.
coverage skills are also good.

I suppose one concern would be health, as he missed almost half last season w/some kind of triceps injury, and I think he also missed some time in '07, but you could probably have that concern about almost anybody in the nfl.

I think his salary in '09 is only 2m, so he's very affordable, but he doesn't seem to be in the raiders long range plans, and he's probably gone after this year, anyway.
although, if he manages to stay healthy the whole year I would have thought the comp pick would be about as much as they get in a trade, but maybe he's really worth more than that.

Is he an upgrade over Vrabel?

Last edited:
If healthy, I'd think so. I also think it bodes well that he was drafted by this administration of the Eagles. They've done a good job.

Burgess and Peppers, then trade for Chad Johnson. Make it happen BB.

no, I believe he's in the last year of a 5 year $17m deal.
he's been wanting a new deal for, like, the last 3 years, but I don't think oakland ever caved.

ps

maybe you're thinking about the corner --- nnamandi assasmokah.

No, not NA. It was some average starter on the DL (I think?) that they recently locked up for huge money.

Burgess and Peppers, then trade for Chad Johnson. Make it happen BB.
a.....NO...they do not have the money for Peppers...that would be difficult abd they will NOT upset the apple cart for him...CJ??? Not needed this year..they have outstanding wideouts now..no need...Burgess would be a lot cheaper and a better value..THAT is fine...

Last edited:
No, not NA. It was some average starter on the DL (I think?) that they recently locked up for huge money.

Are you talking about Tommy Kelly?

I, for one, would love to have Chad Johnson on this team!

On the subject of Burgess... He's a good fit at OLB if he's over the injury bug.
No question he's a good fit for our 3-4 scheme.......

Guess we'll have to wait and see........

Last edited:
Burgess could be a very interesting addition. He was originally drafted by Philly, who tend to do well with lineman and LBs. In 2005-2006 he was by far the best defensive player on a terrible Raider's team, and he played hard even when Oakland was absolutely pathetic and a lot of guys seemed to give up. He has experience at LB as well as DE.

I personally like the idea of picking up Burgess much more than Jason Taylor - there is much more left in the tank. Peppers is in a different league talent-wise, but also in terms of cost and feasibility. This could be a nice medium-term move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back