PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton: Pats Talking with Raiders About Derrick Burgess

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Clayton just reported on 'The Huddle' that the Patriots are in "the middle stages" in talks with the Raiders about trading for Derrick Burgess. Says talks have been ongoing for @3 weeks. Says "put it on your radar," Burgess as outside linebacker for the Pats.

QB12

I'm up in the air with this one. When healthy, he's a really good player. If people have their doubts about Peppers fitting in, the same can be said about Burgess.

I like this rumor- would love to see Burgess on the Pats.

This makes sense to me. As of now, Banta-Cain, Redd and Alexander (or Appleby) have roster spots. I am glad that Belichick is trying to do better, or at least trying to bring in someone to compete for roster spots at linebacker.

I'm glad that we are negotiating for Burgess. I hope that we are also talking to Napolean Harris or another ILB.

Well, Caserio pretty much came out and told everyone they were looking to trade for an LB during his recent Q&A session so it's a plausible rumor.

If people have their doubts about Peppers fitting in, the same can be said about Burgess.
People don't think. THey had doubts about Taylor playing 3-4 OLB and he's done already under Saban.

I had concerns about paying Peppers $17 MIL, not about his abiity.

Don't know about Burgess. Don't really know much about him.

People don't think. THey had doubts about Taylor playing 3-4 OLB and he's done already under Saban.

I had concerns about paying Peppers $17 MIL, not about his abiity.

Don't know about Burgess. Don't really know much about him.

His Career Stats:
Derrick Burgess

Sack totals career- 8 years- 47.0 Sacks

Highest sacks total for a season- 2005- 16 sacks

Hes proven as a DE but can he make the switch to OLB. BB knows something we dont so if we get him well BB will mold him!! This guy would be a short term solution because hes already 30.

His Career Stats:
Derrick Burgess

Sack totals career- 8 years- 47.0 Sacks

Highest sacks total for a season- 2005- 16 sacks

Hes proven as a DE but can he make the switch to OLB. BB knows something we dont so if we get him well BB will mold him!! This guy would be a short term solution because hes already 30.

i'm not sure why he only had 2.5 sacks last year. I hope that we don't give up too much for this guy. If we have a SB ring in this season, it's worth it.

i'm not sure why he only had 2.5 sacks last year. I hope that we don't give up too much for this guy. If we have a SB ring in this season, it's worth it.

Maybe because he is being double team, as do the Raiders have any other pass rushers??

And I think the last Raiders who came to us have done ok ;)

Well I would not get to excited about it, John Clayton is reporting it..

i would like this if it happens when healthy he can get to the QB just as good as peppers both of them play DE and we dont if they can play OLB but pepper would cost a lot of money and a first round pick Burgess will be here for no more then a 3rd round pick and sign for about 2 million a year

This would be a nice, under-the-radar move. Wonder if Burgess did something to impress Belichick during Super Bowl 39.

As much as I look forward to seeing what Crabel, Redd and Woods can do, I will feel much better having a legit pass rusher out opposite Thomas, especially on 3rd and longs.

I'm not saying he's a great player, but it definantly makes the defense better with 2 capable pass rushers.

didn't the raiders just tie up a ton of money in this guy or am I thinking of someone else on defense?

Maybe because he is being double team, as do the Raiders have any other pass rushers??

And I think the last Raiders who came to us have done ok ;)

Yup, Doug Gabriel is a star.

didn't the raiders just tie up a ton of money in this guy or am I thinking of someone else on defense?

no, I believe he's in the last year of a 5 year $17m deal.
he's been wanting a new deal for, like, the last 3 years, but I don't think oakland ever caved.

ps

maybe you're thinking about the corner --- nnamandi assasmokah.

Last edited:

No, he is in the last year of his contract.

Article about Raiders salary cap

One name that has recently come up in trade speculation is defensive end Derrick Burgess, who the Raiders are rumored to be shopping. Burgess becomes a free agent after the 2009 season so it would make sense that Oakland would trade him now in order to gain compensation. If they were able to trade him, they would free up $3.5 million in cap space, which isn’t a huge amount but it would help.

This was an April 24th question to Mike Reiss in his column that he apparently didn't answer but this question was posted nearly a month ago - Question number 5 in the link provided - Patriots to Tweet draft picks - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com.

Unless losing Jason Taylor means anything regarding this rumor, I would say that a deal would have been done by now if this possible trade or interest came up in late April.

The Eagles will probably scoop him up

Last edited:
I would imagine oakland's been shopping him for quite some time considering they're right at the cap and he's in the last year of his deal.

I don't imagine it should take much to get him, but who knows with the raiders --- maybe they're asking a first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes