John Clayton on the backup QB situation for 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Amazingly, he's rational:

Q: John, In light of the reports about Tom Brady undergoing more operations on his knee and possibly not being ready for the 2009 season, should the Patriots take a serious look at signing Jeff Garcia in the offseason?

Dominic in Calgary

A: They should seriously evaluate the backup quarterback market and see if there is an upgrade out there. I'm encouraged from what I'm seeing in Matt Cassel, though, and I am actually starting to believe he might be the guy to re-sign. First, I think Brady will be back. The infection medicine seems to be winning the battle in his knee. Even if he needs a second reconstruction surgery, I still believe he has enough time to get back for the 2009 regular season. Philip Rivers made it back from a February operation. If Brady has one in January, he can still be ready for the regular season.

Quarterbacks who aren't mobile can make the recovery in six months, particularly if they are hard workers like Brady. The drop-off from a good starting quarterback to a good backup is almost 10 points a game. Cassel is starting to look like a young Kyle Orton, and that's a positive. That said, if it looks like Brady won't be back by the 2009 regular season, I'd look for an upgrade at quarterback. The Patriots will have a tougher schedule in the years ahead.

"They should seriously evaluate the backup quarterback market and see if there is an upgrade out there."

Well maybe we can say he's rationally irrational.

If Cassel plays poorly enough as a starter to not be of interest to any other teams, why would we want him back as a backup.

And if he plays well enough to be of interest to other teams as a starter or higher paid backup, why would we expect him to be back here as a backup?

So whether Cassel plays poorly or great, how does Clayton see him back here. He does know he's a free agent, no?

Isn't Clayton the guy who said under Cassel that the Pats would be lucky to get 17 points a game?

I'm just wonder if BB knows Jeff Fisher, the Tennessee Titans coach? The Titans are undefeated right now and Jeff could use some advise and Tennessee just beat up on the Colts. What does any one know?

Yeah the only way I see Cassel back here next year:

1. He sucks so bad the rest of the year that he draws 0 interest in FA and comes back for very cheap.

2. Teams finally notice the trend of big money Patriots FA/Traded players going to a new system and being nothing without our system.

3. Brady's injured and infected knee now grows a penis and fornicates with an AIDS victim.

I personally don't see any of these happening.

Honestly aside from information that is spoon fed or leaked to him like cap figures - the crypt keeper is clueless.

The comparison could not be further apart. Former 4th rounder Orton didn't have a very good statistical season for Chicago in 2007. Based on that he signed a 1 year extension through 2009 that pays him about the same as the guy they signed to a 1 year extension the day before - Grossman. It was a no brainer because they were setting up a head to head competition between the two for the job going forward.

This year Orton is playing better, so he and Matt have that in common. However, Matt isn't going to get offered an extension to compete for the job in 2009 with...Tom Brady.

FWIW the deals both Orton and Grossman signed in March are reportedly set to pay them $3M plus another $1.5M in potential incentives... The Chicago papers are already clammoring for the Bears to be pro active and sign Orton to a long term Franchise QB deal before 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes