PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton of ESPN: Branch deal will get done

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
For what its worth, Clayton said on ESPN news that 7-10 days before the season the deal will get done. He was very definitive. Who knows...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong, I WANT Branch on the field for game 1... but damnit the Pats better not bend over for this guy.

Is it a new deal or is Branch just going to report to camp?

I saw him saying the same thing last night. It was more of a "these things always get done, they'll talk when it's closer" kind of thing than some inside info on talks.

PatsRI said:
Is it a new deal or is Branch just going to report to camp?
He said the "deal will get done" and "Branch will be a patriot". it sounds like a long term deal, but it's all speculation.

BelichickFan said:
I saw him saying the same thing last night. It was more of a "these things always get done, they'll talk when it's closer" kind of thing than some inside info on talks.
I disagree. He was very definitive. He could still be wrong, but he wasn't pus s y footing around.

PonyExpress said:
I disagree. He was very definitive. He could still be wrong, but he wasn't pus s y footing around.
Well I didn't see what you saw but I acurately described what Clayton said yesterday.

Whatever. Forgive me if I'm skeptical, but I've heard this song and dance before.
But I hope it's true this time.

Last edited:
I hope it's true. Branch is a good wideout, and the Patriots are better with him running routes.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Don't get me wrong, I WANT Branch on the field for game 1... but damnit the Pats better not bend over for this guy.

:ditto: :agree: Same here!

I usually don't take ESPN seriously, hopefully this is correct A long term deal would be good.

DefenseRules said:
Whatever. Forgive me if I'm skeptical, but I've heard this song and dance before.
But I hope it's true this time.
:agree:

But being burned before on the Clayton front, I am not going to hold my breath. At least we have not heard the, "The 2 sides are not talking" line for a couple of days. :shrug:

Anyway, maybe Deion coming out and talking to the public that he thinks the deal will get done might have sparked some sort of talks between them.

We can always hope right?

well that is good.
It's even better news that it is From John Clayton......... a.k.a. "the Professor"..

This guy is never wrong and he is a professor of football..

was he standing in front of that stupid backdrop with tons of books?

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Absolutely. Any caving by the Patriots would hurt the team for the long term.

Now, is sweetening the deal a little, before he reports,caving?
To me, it is.

I would rather have the Patriots say "show up for work and then we will start talking". What happens after that is business.

there are different indications that Branch deal is more or less done

and our team, like it or not, is better with Deion on the field

but i have not appreciated at all this long holdout

i'm curious to see, if and when it will be closed, the details

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:

To me, it is.

I would rather have the Patriots say "show up for work and then we will start talking". What happens after that is business.
I disagree with your logic. Management doesn't have to hit a home run in every negotiation with its employees to be successful. A middle ground can be found.

PATSNUTme said:

To me, it is.

I do agree. Otherwise you'll just be encouraging more players to hold out.

PATSNUTme said:

Write on !

Paul Perillo(he's on EEI) thinks quite differently. He says he has heard from a very reliable source that Branch came back with a counter offer that averages 4 million PER YEAR higher than what the Pats offered. Doesn't seem like any deal is even remotely close to me. Also the reason the Pats have been holding back Jackson, to make sure he's healthy to start the season. I'm not sure where Clayton got his information, or if he's just going on a hunch, but everything I hear and read points to a long and ugly situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing