PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Carroll University

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
At least FIVE of our coaching staff graduated from John Carroll University.

London Fletcher's coming straight to NE when he retires.

Ugh, I thought I was the only person with that theory.

It's all part of the post-Belichick plan.

GM: Caserio
HC: McDaniels
OC: Greg Roman
QB Coach: Tom Arth (Current John Carroll HC, former NFL backup QB)
DC: London Fletcher
ST Coordinator: Brian Polian

Between Caserio, Chris Polian (former Colts GM), David Caldwell (Jags GM), and Tom Telesco (Chargers GM), they'd have a very experienced front office. They could hire Don Shula in a consultant role, too.

John Carroll is the new Rutgers.

He is one of the smartest players I've seen play the game. I would love to see him as an assistant to PJ.

LB is probably our most talented position group so having a guy like Fletcher teaching Mayo, Hightower, Spikes and Collins could go a long way to making this a dominate defense.

He is one of the smartest players I've seen play the game. I would love to see him as an assistant to PJ.

LB is probably our most talented position group so having a guy like Fletcher teaching Mayo, Hightower, Spikes and Collins could go a long way to making this a dominate defense.

More influence than Pepper?? The linebackers role may change this year with the strengthening of our secondary... in the past they had to pay attention to more ground than they would usually do, due to lack of talent.

Coaches from John Carrol and players from Rutgers.

More influence than Pepper?? The linebackers role may change this year with the strengthening of our secondary... in the past they had to pay attention to more ground than they would usually do, due to lack of talent.

No not more than PJ, but potentially more current. I did say as an assistant to PJ, because I think PJ is one of our best coaches and obviously Fletcher as a new coach wouldn't be close.

At least FIVE of our coaching staff graduated from John Carroll University.

Nice catch. That's an interesting nugget.

It got me pondering, so I googled that school.

It's in a neighborhood of Cleveland called University Heights (a few blocks north of posh Shaker Heights).

Many of those coaches mentioned were youngsters/teenagers 20 years ago when Belichick was the HC of the Browns. I have no idea, but there is a real possibility that Belichick may have lived in such a well-to-do neighborhood at that time.

Obviously, some sort of personal connection had to be made at that time.

It's as if Pete Carroll has 5 coaches on his staff who were Babson alums.

Last edited:
BTW, reading more about the school, (other than religious affiliation - Jesuit v. Methodist) John Carroll is remarkably similar to Wesleyan (BB's alma mater).

BTW, reading more about the school, (other than religious affiliation - Jesuit v. Methodist) John Carroll is remarkably similar to Wesleyan (BB's alma mater).

How so? Wesleyan is one of the hardest schools in the country to get into and John Carroll accepts most applicants. They are both very small universities, but that's the only similarity I can find.

How so? Wesleyan is one of the hardest schools in the country to get into and John Carroll accepts most applicants. They are both very small universities, but that's the only similarity I can find.

Wrong. Small, Liberal Arts, Christian denominated, top-rankings,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carroll_University

"John Carroll University (Latin: Universitas Joannis Carroll) is a private, co-educational Jesuit Catholic university in University Heights, Ohio, United States, a suburb of Cleveland. It is primarily an undergraduate, liberal arts institution, accompanied by the AACSB-accredited John M. and Mary Jo Boler School of Business. John Carroll has an enrollment of 3009 undergraduate and 717 graduate students.[3] The university offers undergraduate programs in the liberal arts, sciences, and business, and in selected areas at the master's level. Recently, the university has expanded its offerings of majors, minors, and graduate degrees, as well as its international programs.[4][5] The university has been ranked in the top 10 universities of U.S. News & World Report annual guide "America's Best Colleges," in the Midwest Master's Universities category for twenty-three consecutive years.[6]......"

"......Rankings[edit]Ranked seventh among Midwest (Master's) Universities in the 2012 U.S. News & World Report annual guide "America's Best Colleges,".[16] This was the 23rd consecutive year that John Carroll had ranked in the top 10 on this list.
Ranked No. 1 on “Strong Commitment to Undergraduate Teaching" within its category in the 2012 U.S. News & World Report annual guide.[16]
Ranked No. 4 on the "Great Schools, Great Prices" list (also referred to as a “Best Value” school) within its category in the 2012 U.S. News & World Report annual guide.[16]
Chosen as one of Barron's "Best Buys," one of only 280 schools to earn that distinction. .[17]
Selected to be on the “Best Midwestern Colleges” list by the Princeton Review. .[18]
The Boler School of Business consistently ranks in the top 10 business schools in the Midwest and is AACSB International (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accredited a prestigious distinction that is only awarded to the top 10–12% of business schools nationally.[17]
In 2010, John Carroll was selected for the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation.[17]
For three consecutive years (since 2008), John Carroll was nationally recognized for commitment to community service by The President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.[17] "

Furthermore - - - guess who is it's most famous football alum?

Last edited:

What are you trying to prove? John Carroll admitted 83.8% of its applicants in 2011 according to USNWR. You can't really compare that to Wesleyan. For comparisons' sake, Wesleyan in 2011 accepted 24.1% of its applicants.

What are you trying to prove? John Carroll admitted 83.8% of its applicants in 2011 according to USNWR. You can't really compare that to Wesleyan. For comparisons' sake, Wesleyan in 2011 accepted 24.1% of its applicants.

Not trying to "prove" anything, chum.

Acceptance rate is one out of 100+ categories.

You don't get those elite rankings listed above from Forbes, USNWR, Barrons, Princeton review for being an easy school.

There are many similarities to Wesleyan. Are they twins? No.

The bigger probability is that Belichick made some personal connections there in the early 90's when he lived in the area. Obviously, he sees something similar to himself in 5 of the kids who came out of that school.

Last edited:
That's one out of 100+ categories.

You don't get those elite rankings form Forbes, USNWR, Barrons, Princeton review for being an easy school.

There are many similarities to Wesleyan. Are they twins? No.

The bigger probability is that Belichick made some personal connections there in the early 90's when he lived in the area. Obviously, he sees something similar to himself in 5 of the kids who came out of that school.

On the first point, fair enough. I'm not much of a believer in "ranking colleges" (because college is something you make of it), but insofar as it is a valid exercise, I'd argue the selectivity and thus the class of students who go blows up the comparison. Agree to disagree.

On the second point.... I wonder who that personal connection would be. Usually, when we dip into a program frequently at the draft, BB is friends with a coach and has a lot of respect for them. Is there a single guy at John Carroll who is "responsible" for developing these young coaches?

Wrong. Small, Liberal Arts, Christian denominated, top-rankings,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carroll_University

"John Carroll University (Latin: Universitas Joannis Carroll) is a private, co-educational Jesuit Catholic university in University Heights, Ohio, United States, a suburb of Cleveland. It is primarily an undergraduate, liberal arts institution, accompanied by the AACSB-accredited John M. and Mary Jo Boler School of Business. John Carroll has an enrollment of 3009 undergraduate and 717 graduate students.[3] The university offers undergraduate programs in the liberal arts, sciences, and business, and in selected areas at the master's level. Recently, the university has expanded its offerings of majors, minors, and graduate degrees, as well as its international programs.[4][5] The university has been ranked in the top 10 universities of U.S. News & World Report annual guide "America's Best Colleges," in the Midwest Master's Universities category for twenty-three consecutive years.[6]......"

"......Rankings[edit]Ranked seventh among Midwest (Master's) Universities in the 2012 U.S. News & World Report annual guide "America's Best Colleges,".[16] This was the 23rd consecutive year that John Carroll had ranked in the top 10 on this list.
Ranked No. 1 on “Strong Commitment to Undergraduate Teaching" within its category in the 2012 U.S. News & World Report annual guide.[16]
Ranked No. 4 on the "Great Schools, Great Prices" list (also referred to as a “Best Value” school) within its category in the 2012 U.S. News & World Report annual guide.[16]
Chosen as one of Barron's "Best Buys," one of only 280 schools to earn that distinction. .[17]
Selected to be on the “Best Midwestern Colleges” list by the Princeton Review. .[18]
The Boler School of Business consistently ranks in the top 10 business schools in the Midwest and is AACSB International (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accredited a prestigious distinction that is only awarded to the top 10–12% of business schools nationally.[17]
In 2010, John Carroll was selected for the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation.[17]
For three consecutive years (since 2008), John Carroll was nationally recognized for commitment to community service by The President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.[17] "

Furthermore - - - guess who is it's most famous football alum?

Wesleyan was my first choice (I didn't get in), I like to think I did my research. If you spent a little time on campus, you'd quickly realize it's not a Christian school by any stretch of the imagination. Of the three people I know who are going there, exactly none of them are Christian. It's not even affiliated with the Church anymore.

I will concede that acceptance rates don't matter that much, especially in the northeast vs. midwest. But I don't see the similarity.

Yeah. You have to have rejection letters from BOTH Williams and Amherst just to be considered.

Yeah. You have to have rejection letters from BOTH Williams and Amherst just to be considered.

That explains why I didn't get in...only got a rejection letter from Amherst. Didn't bother with Williams...

That explains why I didn't get in...only got a rejection letter from Amherst. Didn't bother with Williams...

Count your blessings. I visited it and didn't bother to apply. Somehow, it's in New England, and yet it feels like it's about 1,000 miles from any real cities.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back