PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Abraham and Charles Woodson

You may/may not have a point about Freeny's potential to be more of a "team oriented player," I am not sure myself.

The problem is that Freeny is much worse against the run, and would be used in a much more limited basis in my opinion. To top it off, they both seem to want too much money at this point in time.

I don't see Belichick being anywhere close to okay with paying D.Freeny that much money to be a situational pass rusher, whereas Abraham would be more of an actual DE to take more snaps than Ninkovich.

Well, Idonije's still avalible. Any interest??

We have a great team, but let's be honest. One of the weaknesses on the patriots is at DE.
This concern is third for me: after injuries and the wide receiver corps.

I have no question that the team would be better off by adding a veteran free agent who would be one of our five DE's. We'd lose whichever backup #5 DE who would make the team without the addition. There are many candidates.

We have a great team, but let's be honest. One of the weaknesses on the patriots is at DE.
This concern is third for me: after injuries and the wide receiver corps.

One? Not to be a negative Nancy but can you not think of more than ONE position that could, even theoretically, be upgraded?

Heck, I could theoretically upgrade QB by getting Brady in '06.

Edit: I misread your post as "Only One." Sorry.

A few things to consider so that people can understand that we do not need John Abraham.
I would actually take these points as proof we DO need Abaham (or Freeney or the equivalent).

1. Chandler Jones before his injury last year, was on pace for a DROY season and would've won had he stayed healthy. Even after, he made impact upon impact but now that he is healthy, lets see from the start of the season. He could emerge as one of the premiere defensive ends in the league kind of like a Jason Pierre-Paul type.
Agree 1 DE is set if Jones stays healthy, but as the roster sits, he will be double teamed every play. A DE on the other side who could command a dounble makes Jones better.

2. The drafting of pass rush extraordinaire OLB/DE Jamie Collins is important and will be an immediate impact on our pass rush. Of course, he will be in subpackages and certain formations at the defensive end spot occasionally.
There is no evidence that this will be his role. How many rookie 2nd rounders have the impact of a probowl caliber DE? None?

3. Rob Ninkovich is quietly a very good pass rusher, but is sometimes pulled away from the defensive end position during games to do other things because he is so versatile but he does make a timely and definite impact, especially during important parts in a game.
Simply cannot agree that Ninkovich is a good pass rusher. In almost every game last year he played exclusively DE.

4. I like what Justin Francis showed last year when he got playing time and that Buchanon kid has some good intangibles. Not to mention that Jermaine Cunningham is also solid depth. And what about Jake Bequette? He could prove great value at that position.
Francis played less than 200 snaps and outside of the game vs the mailing it in Dolphins really provided no pass rush.
Bequette couldn't earn an active roster spot.
Cunningham has not been the answer for 3 years, why would we rely on his as the answer in his 4th?
Buchanan was a 7th rounder who had 3 sacks in college last year.
These are reasons that we could feel we have potentially good depth, not that we don't need a good starter.

5. Jason Vega, lets see what he brings.
See above. Lets not pass on a good pass rusher by hoping a guy who couldn't make it in the NFL and went to Canada could be 50 times better than his best case.

6. Dont'a Hightower could possibly sub in and get some snaps at the defensive end spot in certain packages as well.
If he were as good as Abraham, this would have happened last year.

We want to stay young, athletic, healthy, fresh, fast and interchangeable at that position.
Nice adjectives but I'm more interested in getting a strong pass rush from the position, something we won't have if we go with the current roster.

I would actually take these points as proof we DO need Abaham (or Freeney or the equivalent).

Agree 1 DE is set if Jones stays healthy, but as the roster sits, he will be double teamed every play. A DE on the other side who could command a dounble makes Jones better.

There is no evidence that this will be his role. How many rookie 2nd rounders have the impact of a probowl caliber DE? None?

Simply cannot agree that Ninkovich is a good pass rusher. In almost every game last year he played exclusively DE.

Francis played less than 200 snaps and outside of the game vs the mailing it in Dolphins really provided no pass rush.
Bequette couldn't earn an active roster spot.
Cunningham has not been the answer for 3 years, why would we rely on his as the answer in his 4th?
Buchanan was a 7th rounder who had 3 sacks in college last year.
These are reasons that we could feel we have potentially good depth, not that we don't need a good starter.

See above. Lets not pass on a good pass rusher by hoping a guy who couldn't make it in the NFL and went to Canada could be 50 times better than his best case.

If he were as good as Abraham, this would have happened last year.

Nice adjectives but I'm more interested in getting a strong pass rush from the position, something we won't have if we go with the current roster.

You nailed it in every way. No way around it, the addition of Abraham would be nothing but a positive.

I'm hearing it hasn't been done yet due to wanting more playing time.

If he's actually negotiating for playing time guarantees, he'll get nowhere with the Pats.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back