PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joey Porter: "The Road To The AFC East Title goes through Miami"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which tells you that the 'win' was nonsense, since he wasn't even playing at the time. That's neither here nor there, though. I understand that dirty hits happen. What I don't accept is the obvious difference in how the league handles its two 'binky' teams (Colts, Steelers) compared to everyone else.

You really believe that the League favors the Steelers?

I don't think too many people will agree with him. Kind of a funny coincidence how the two teams that the league supposedly favors happen to be the Pats' biggest rivals year in and year out- pretty telltale sign of subjectivity.

I do question Polian's impact on the competition committee to an extent, but I don't think it's nearly as far-reaching as some would have you believe.

Are you seriously going to claim it doesn't after they let them screw with the ownership rules?

I don't think too many people will agree with him. Kind of a funny coincidence how the two teams that the league supposedly favors happen to be the Pats' biggest rivals year in and year out- pretty telltale sign of subjectivity.

That's just a stupid comment, particularly given how often I'm here backing up other teams and other teams' players.

I do question Polian's impact on the competition committee to an extent, but I don't think it's nearly as far-reaching as some would have you believe.

Ahhh, yes..... it's the league doing it, but it's only doing it as much as you say. So, question my subjectivity, but yours is fine. Got it. ;)

Joey Porter talks too much.. when brady torches miami for the first time since his injury he will realize that the road to the Superbowl let alone the division goes through NE..

Ahhh, yes..... it's the league doing it, but it's only doing it as much as you say. So, question my subjectivity, but yours is fine. Got it. ;)

With Polian being on the competition committee, there is a) a clear potential conflict of interest, and b) a demonstrated history of Polian using his authority to get points of emphasis pushed through that favor his team. You know, actual evidence and precedent. And even then I think that it's overstated on this board.

What you're talking about, in your idiotic claim that the league favors the Steelers, is paranoid ramblings that can't be supported by anything that's based in reality. Get the difference? If not, I don't really care anyways. It's readily apparent to anyone with an ounce of common sense.

Last edited:
With Polian being on the competition committee, there is a) a clear potential conflict of interest, and b) a demonstrated history of Polian using his authority to get points of emphasis pushed through that favor his team. You know, actual evidence and precedent. And even then I think that it's overstated on this board.

What you're talking about, in your idiotic claim that the league favors the Steelers, is paranoid ramblings that can't be supported by anything that's based in reality. Get the difference? If not, I don't really care anyways. It's readily apparent to anyone with an ounce of common sense.

I wasn't crying about anything. I was pointing out something that's pretty obvious. As for not being supported, I gave some pretty clear examples, pointing to the ownership situation as well as Ryan Clark getting away with his hits.

ProFootballTalk.com - LEAGUE BENDS 30-PERCENT RULE FOR ROONEY TRANSACTION

ProFootballTalk.com - STEELERS DEAL APPROVED

Of course, given that your argument is, essentially, that it's ok to point to the Colts but not to point to both the Colts and the Steelers, it's not as if your argument makes any sense in the first place.

I wasn't crying about anything. I was pointing out something that's pretty obvious. As for not being supported, I gave some pretty clear examples, pointing to the ownership situation as well as Ryan Clark getting away with his hits.

ProFootballTalk.com - LEAGUE BENDS 30-PERCENT RULE FOR ROONEY TRANSACTION

ProFootballTalk.com - STEELERS DEAL APPROVED

Of course, given that your argument is, essentially, that it's ok to point to the Colts but not to point to both the Colts and the Steelers, it's not as if your argument makes any sense in the first place.

see now a counter to this would be, the Rooneys have owned the team since 1933 and now all of sudden, the brothers who were just stake holders and not involved in day to day operation, owning tracks is suddenly an issue that forces the Rooney's to break up their ownership.

then, Kraft and Patriots get involved in the Lottery with scratch off tickets?

Some crazed "the League washes Krafts Balls" Fans might see that as fishy.

Last edited:
see now a counter to this would be, the Rooneys have owned the team since 1933 and now all of sudden, the brothers who were just stake holders and not involved in day to day operation, owning tracks is suddenly an issue that forces the Rooney's to break up their ownership.

then, Kraft and Patriots get involved in the Lottery with scratch off tickets?

Some crazed "the League washes Krafts Balls" Fans might see that as fishy.

Only if they were stupid or ignorant (Sadly, that's probably the vast number of people in any group nowadays). The league changed the rules about the lottery during the league meetings, and it's not just something to favor the Patriots.

NFL teams can sell lottery sponsorships for a two-year trial period after the league's owners voted yesterday in Ft. Lauderdale to open the category.

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NFL Football stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from NFL Football columnists

In fact, more than one team has already signed a deal for this. The Redskins have done it and other teams are currently in talks.

That's a different rule than the 30% rule that you seem to be trying to conflate without mentioning. For that matter, it's not the same as the horse racing rule which you did actually mention, although it does at least fall into the same general category.

Last edited:
see now a counter to this would be, the Rooneys have owned the team since 1933
Okay, so you agree with us that the league changes the rules in favor of the Steelers.

You simply gave us a reason why it is okay for the league to change the rules for the steelers.

A pretty bogus rationale. Either there are rules or not. If they are, they apply to the steelers no matter how long the Rooneys owned them. It's nice that the team has been in the familly for a long time, but that doesn't exempt them.

No, the point is that if you're going to cry foul, you need to actually be able to back it up with logic, motivations, and real evidence.

As for the 'evidence' that you provided, the ownership transaction passed only because it was approved by 24+ owners, so saying that the league office favored the Steelers is just idiotic. If the other teams had any problem with it, they could have rejected it. They didn't, because they realized that allowing both Rooney brothers to be recognized as one person is a complete non-issue.

Recap: the 'exception' that they made was allowing the two Rooney brothers to count as one person. THE HORROR. Note: the Packers don't meet this 'requirement' either, so it's not like the Steelers are unique here. If that's the best evidence that you can find that the league favors the Steelers, then my point's pretty much proven. Harping on the 30% exception is even more ridiculous than the fans that still won't let Spygate die, since Spygate at least theoretically affected the game on the field.

Whatever; I'm not exactly surprised that a pretty simple, A-to-B-to-C argument is once again flying right over your head.

Last edited:
No, the point is that if you're going to cry foul, you need to actually be able to back it up with logic, motivations, and real evidence.

As for the 'evidence' that you provided, the ownership transaction passed only because it was approved by 24+ owners, so saying that the league office favored the Steelers is just idiotic. If the other teams had any problem with it, they could have rejected it. They didn't, because they realized that allowing both Rooney brothers to be recognized as one person is a complete non-issue.

Recap: the 'exception' that they made was allowing the two Rooney brothers to count as one person. THE HORROR. Note: the Packers don't meet this 'requirement' either, so it's not like the Steelers are unique here. If that's the best evidence that you can find that the league favors the Steelers, then my point's pretty much proven.

Whatever; I'm not exactly surprised that a pretty simple, A-to-B-to-C argument is once again flying right over your head.

It's not flying over my head. They changed the rule. You admitted it. As for the Packers, name me another publicly held team.

Then again, you think that saving a small market team would be some form of proof that a move clearly made to save the Steelers organization "as is" is not favoring the Steelers.

By the way, can you find where I said "league office" in this thread for me? Just for context...

edit: It shouldn't be "changed the rule", it should be "made an exception to the rule".

Last edited:
Don't really agree with Porter on this one.

The road to the AFC East title starts at the beginning of the season and ends at the end of the season. It doesn't matter who won it last year.

Only if they were stupid or ignorant (Sadly, that's probably the vast number of people in any group nowadays). The league changed the rules about the lottery during the league meetings, and it's not just something to favor the Patriots.

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NFL Football stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from NFL Football columnists

In fact, more than one team has already signed a deal for this. The Redskins have done it and other teams are currently in talks.

That's a different rule than the 30% rule that you seem to be trying to conflate without mentioning. For that matter, it's not the same as the horse racing rule which you did actually mention, although it does at least fall into the same general category.

Convient for Kraft and Snyder that rules about the Lottery changed, and that happens after the Rooney's get grief over the fact 5 brothers inherited their team from the Dad years ago, and suddenly now its an issue. So they work out a way to maintain control of the team, big deal. Are you wishing that somone like Drunkenmiller would have come in and bought the Steelers and taken ownership away from one of the best owners in the game?

Well I agree with you on one thing, lots of people are Stupid and Ignorant. Glad I'm not one of them.

by the way, the Owners in the NFL voted 31-0 to allow the change for the Rooneys. Not the League Front office.

Last edited:
Recap: the 'exception' that they made was allowing the two Rooney brothers to count as one person. THE HORROR.
Okay, you don't think it is a big deal that they ignored the rule. Certainly people can have different opinions as to how important the rule was.

But the rule was still broken/ignored/not followed/whatever semantic one wishes to employ to show the rule wasn't followed.

An exception to a rule is a time when the rule isn't followed. That's pretty straightforward.

Convient for Kraft and Snyder that rules about the Lottery changed, and that happens after the Rooney's get grief over the fact 5 brothers inherited their team from the Dad years ago, and suddenly now its an issue. So they work out a way to maintain control of the team, big deal. Are you wishing that somone like Drunkenmiller would have come in and bought the Steelers and taken ownership away from one of the best owners in the game?

Well I agree with you on one thing, lots of people are Stupid and Ignorant. Glad I'm not one of them.

by the way, the Owners in the NFL voted 31-0 to allow the change for the Rooneys. Not the League Front office.

Brady FTW! was the one who mentioned the front office. I don't believe I did. Feel free to check, though. As for the rest, stop trying to conflate separate issues. You're usually much better than that. And stop arguing when you know the obvious is true: The league shined the Rooney shoes on this. Your comment about Drunkenmiller vs. "best owners" helps make my point, because it's just the justification for the shine.

And, for the record, I wish the league had either gotten rid of the rule or else forced the Rooney clan to adjust their plan or sell and give ownership to someone else. Making an exception to a league-wide rule because you happen to like (or dislike) one person/team is usually terrible policy. Such is the case here.

Brady FTW! was the one who mentioned the front office. I don't believe I did. Feel free to check, though. As for the rest, stop trying to conflate separate issues. You're usually much better than that. And stop arguing when you know the obvious is true: The league shined the Rooney shoes on this. Your comment about Drunkenmiller vs. "best owners" helps make my point, because it's just the justification for the shine.

And, for the record, I wish the league had either gotten rid of the rule or else forced the Rooney clan to adjust their plan or sell and give ownership to someone else. Making an exception to a league-wide rule because you happen to like (or dislike) one person/team is usually terrible policy. Such is the case here.

So your basically upset the the 31 other owners allowed Dan Rooney and his son to work out a deal that allowed them to keep control of their team? Other rules have been changed throughout the years in the same way by owner votes. Its not as if the Rooney's did something illegal and got away with it. Everyone agreed via vote, to allow it to happen. So it is going to happen and they were able to restructure and maintain their ownership.

But if you want to believe, that the league (as you've said plenty of times) favors the Steelers, feel free. Whatever makes you feel better inside. I'm not one of those conspiracy guys, I don't look for reasons other than an ill timed pick 6 or a defensive meltdown at the wrong time to explain losses.

I hope the pats DESTROY everyone in the east this year, including a blowout win opening night that would piss off all the bills fans from last year. then go up there and do it again in december. that would be some sweet justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes