PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joey Porter: "The Road To The AFC East Title goes through Miami"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit, when we first brough him over from Washington, I thought to myself "who the heck is this guy?" then he had that problem with his spleen in Denver and missed a ton of games and I figured we bit it in free agency with the guy. But he has turned out to be a fantastic free agent pick up and with him playing the way he has, we dumpted Anothy Smith off the roster this year. Clark is One of our best FA pick ups in a while, that's for sure.

One of the only players who makes me fear for the Pats' safety. When he dropped Welker, I thought I had pretty much seen what he was capable of, then he nearly murdered McGahee out on the field.

One of the only players who makes me fear for the Pats' safety. When he dropped Welker, I thought I had pretty much seen what he was capable of, then he nearly murdered McGahee out on the field.

He takes cheap shots, and he was protected because the league ballwashes the Steelers franchise about pretty much everything. Well, hopefully, that won't happen again because they put a rule in the books just for him. Of course, they could just lie and say that he didn't violate the rule like they did about the Welker hit.

How about we actually play a down in the 2009 regular season before anybody proclaims anything. Holy crap.

Last edited:
How about we actually play a down in the 2009 regular season before anybody proclaims anything. Holy crap.

Well between rexy, porter and TO....its going to be mighty tough......

Motivation does matter.

But note I said divisional rival. And folks bring up the Steelers. Steelers aren't in our division. Some BB material can be helpful to motivate a team to play a non-divisional rival as hard as they would a divisional rival. You shouldn't need any BB material to consider divisional games the 6 most important on the schedule.
You make it sound like an either or situation. If they can be motivated personally, then it must mean they don't see division games as important. The division games are the most important games. That does not mean that a player cannot be personally motivated for that game.

Players are very proud, and proving detractors wrong has been part of their makeup all their lives.

We'll have to agree to disagree that a player can be personally motivated for a division game, I guess.

The Jets are going to be terrible this year. The bills are probably going to be better than last year, but still not very good. Miami? I think they'll be ok, but worse than last year.

I'd be surprised if we weren't the favorite in all 6 games. Will we win them all? Who knows?

You never know on the Jets. I hate them more than anything and would love to see them fail, but a lot of changes have been made on that team this offseason. Everyone thought the Ravens were thought to be terrible prior to the 2008 season and they actually advanced to the AFC Championship with a rookie quarterback and a receiving corps that isn't much better than what the Jets have. The only problem I still see with them is still a poor and inexperienced secondary. That one problem could cost them two games against a Brady-led Pats team next season.

The Bills are going to be better next year and could be a pain in the balls while Miami has historically (at least in this decade) given us a TON of problems. If we're going to lose one game in this division, it will be against them. Pennington is still their QB. He's smart and patient with his throws and usually gives our defense a hard time on the field. 6-0 is possible, but I think we'll go 5-1.

Let Joey have his fun. The Dolphins are the defending AFC East Champs, and until someone knocks them off, they can say what they want.

Does it mean anything this season? No. But I'm OK with Porter's comments

Last edited:
I hope the Steelers remember that every year that Brady kicks the hell out of them.

For the record, I'm pretty sure that the Steelers 'remember' that it was their safety who was the putz and not the Patriots.

That safety is now a Packer, we cut that guy.

Is Brady going to kick the hell out of the Steelers? What week of the playoffs is he going to try and do that do you think?

He takes cheap shots, and he was protected because the league ballwashes the Steelers franchise about pretty much everything. Well, hopefully, that won't happen again because they put a rule in the books just for him. Of course, they could just lie and say that he didn't violate the rule like they did about the Welker hit.

Actually, the rule was put in place for Hines Ward and his crack back blocks, not the Ryan Clark hit. I just watched it again this weekend on NFL Network. He got flagged for leaving his feet on the hit and hitting a defenseless receiver "even though the ball was tipped" as the Ref said.

I find it hilarious how many Patriots fans think the league is looking out for the Steelers and how many of my fellow Steelers fans think the league is "ballwashing" the Patriots. So funny.

Actually, the rule was put in place for Hines Ward and his crack back blocks, not the Ryan Clark hit. I just watched it again this weekend on NFL Network. He got flagged for leaving his feet on the hit and hitting a defenseless receiver "even though the ball was tipped" as the Ref said.

I find it hilarious how many Patriots fans think the league is looking out for the Steelers and how many of my fellow Steelers fans think the league is "ballwashing" the Patriots. So funny.

The replay shows that it was a helmet to helmet hit. Nonetheless, despite that replay being available for all the country to view, the league lied and claimed that there was not a helmet to helmet hit.

You can insist that it wasn't ballwashing all you want. The facts point in the other direction.

Also, there were 2 rules changes involving the Steelers. One due to Ward and the other due to Clark.

NFL provides more protection for receivers - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

We all know who the league favors and it's not the Pats or Steelers, it's those friggin ponies and Bill NaPolian.

The replay shows that it was a helmet to helmet hit. Nonetheless, despite that replay being available for all the country to view, the league lied and claimed that there was not a helmet to helmet hit.

You can insist that it wasn't ballwashing all you want. The facts point in the other direction.

Also, there were 2 rules changes involving the Steelers. One due to Ward and the other due to Clark.

NFL provides more protection for receivers - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Well I stand corrected. Now Clark just can't hit guys in the neck with his shoulder or forearm, he'll have to be sure to aim lower when he's blasting WRs that come across the middle.

I think all Pats fans should remember Rodney before they start complaining about a safety being dirty. Now, that said, I do agree with anyone that says that Ryan Clark is dirty. However, I like the way he plays the game, despite the fact that he's on the friggin Steelers. It's like he should have been born and inserted into the NFL 40 years ago when the game was much more physical than it is now.

Don't think opposing Wide Receivers don't think about that as well when they cross the middle of the field. I can only hope that Patrick Chung hits as hard as he does. Or, as hard as Rodney did.

I think all Pats fans should remember Rodney before they start complaining about a safety being dirty. Now, that said, I do agree with anyone that says that Ryan Clark is dirty. However, I like the way he plays the game, despite the fact that he's on the friggin Steelers. It's like he should have been born and inserted into the NFL 40 years ago when the game was much more physical than it is now.

Harrison got fined, sometimes for clean hits. Clark didn't get fined for cheap shots. There's your difference.

Harrison got fined, sometimes for clean hits. Clark didn't get fined for cheap shots. There's your difference.

Oh, believe me. I can still say a ton of bad things about Goodell and the NFL for the way they handled that. However, Rodney wasn't the cleanest player and we all know it. He won in a landslide in a vote among coaches for the dirtiest player in the NFL (not just the AFC). In 2008, no less.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Maybe he's dirty, but it's football. As long as he's not out there deliberately attempting to end guys' careers (and I don't think he is- I think it's an intimidation thing) I'll take it for what it is. Safeties are supposed to hit hard.

Oh, believe me. I can still say a ton of bad things about Goodell and the NFL for the way they handled that. However, Rodney wasn't the cleanest player and we all know it. He won in a landslide in a vote among coaches for the dirtiest player in the NFL (not just the AFC). In 2008, no less.

Which tells you that the 'win' was nonsense, since he wasn't even playing at the time. That's neither here nor there, though. I understand that dirty hits happen. What I don't accept is the obvious difference in how the league handles its two 'binky' teams (Colts, Steelers) compared to everyone else.

Which tells you that the 'win' was nonsense, since he wasn't even playing at the time. That's neither here nor there, though. I understand that dirty hits happen. What I don't accept is the obvious difference in how the league handles its two 'binky' teams (Colts, Steelers) compared to everyone else.

Not to split hairs, but wasn't it conducted before the 2008 season?

Not to split hairs, but wasn't it conducted before the 2008 season?

You should know, since you pointed to it. For the record, the answer is "Yes":

Coaches validate Harrison's rep as NFL's dirtiest player - NFL - ESPN

As I said, Harrison wasn't even playing at the time, but they were calling him the dirtiest player. It was an offseason 'win'.

A review of data since 2001 shows Arizona Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson with a league-high 17 personal fouls. Harrison and New Orleans Saints defensive end Will Smith are tied for second with 14, followed by Patriots defensive lineman Richard Seymour (13), Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor (12), late Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor (12) and Cleveland Browns defensive lineman Shaun Rogers (11).

The numbers suggest Harrison's name belongs in the first paragraph of any discussion about the NFL's dirtiest players -- but perhaps not at the exclusion of others.

Harrison drew two personal-foul penalties last season. Seventeen players drew more, but none of them earned even one vote from head coaches as the league's dirtiest player. Coaches, encouraged not to vote for their own players, were granted anonymity for their candor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey