PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joey Galloway's Breakout Game? [Update: Galloway inactive...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hear me out:

1) McDaniels knows how important Welker is to moving the chains in particular and the offense in general. He knows the Pats are 3-0 when Welker starts. McD will make sure Welker is bracketed to take away the hot reads and check downs as best he can.

2) With Bailey locking down Moss, and stopping Welker the focus of Denver's pass defense (as I believe), you'd think Watson or Baker might have big games. But I think the TE will first be asked to chip Denver's fast DE's, especially Dumervil. That will delay the TE's release from the line of scrimmage, and minimize somewhat their role in the passing game.

3) Which leaves us with Galloway probably drawing single coverage on the side opposite Moss. Joey's had 4 weeks of the regular season to digest the playbook and try to get on the same page with Brady. I also think the Patriots will be smarter, and use him to go vertical, and play more to Joey's strengths, rather than trying to make him an underneath receiver - which he isn't. By using Joey this way, any RB like Morris or Maroney who might stay in to block, can leak out into the short zone cleared by Galloway's vertical route. This strategy also plays to Maroney's strength of getting him out in space.

What do you think?

QB12

Last edited:
Re: Joey Galloway's Breakout Game?

Hear me out:

1) McDaniels knows how important Welker is to moving the chains in particular and the offense in general. He knows the Pats are 3-0 when Welker starts. McD will make sure Welker is bracketed to take away the hot reads and check downs as best he can.

2) With Bailey locking down Moss, and stopping Welker the focus of Denver's pass defense (as I believe), you'd think Watson or Baker might have big games. But I think the TE will first be asked to chip Denver's fast DE's, especially Dumervil. That will delay the TE's release from the line of scrimmage, and minimize somewhat their role in the passing game.

3) Which leaves us with Galloway, probably drawing single coverage, on the other side. Joey's had 4 weeks of the regular season to digest the playbook and try to get on the same page with Brady. And I also see the Patriots using him to extend the field, and go vertical, and play more to Joey's strengths than trying to make him an underneath receiver, which he isn't. Plus, by doing so, any RB like Morris or Maroney who might stay in to block, can leak out into the short zone cleared by Galloway's vertical route. This strategy also plays to Maroney's strength of getting him out in space.

What do you think?

QB12

2-0 when Welker starts. He didn't play vs. Atlanta.

Stand corrected. Since Game 1 of the 2007 season, the Patriots are undefeated in the regular season when Tom Brady and Wes Welker have started . . .

QB12

Last edited:

Galloway sees the tick-tick-ticking on his status as a #3 receiver slowly ticking away if he does not get it together soon,BB proved with his 'dissapearance last week' that he needs to get it right. - Nunn/Edelman combo is on speed dial in case.

The ol vet needs to show a glimpse of his glory days back and quickly

Last edited:

I'm no Galloway apologist, but it is noteworthy that the one time they sent him vertical he beat the Jets CB and would have scored had Tom not overthrown him.

QB12

I'm no Galloway apologist, but it is noteworthy that the one time they sent him vertical he beat the Jets CB and would have scored had Tom not overthrown him.

QB12

I think we all know that in time,Brady will be back to throwing accurately more often....That is not as obvious as to Galloway and if he will get IT.

Last edited:

I think we all know that in time,Brady will be back to throwing accurately more often....That is not as obvious as to Galloway and if he will get IT.

He is nearly back to that point now. We need to start Galloway and make Denver pay if they decide to focus soley on Moss and Welker.

Nope, we have a top secret. Just before the game, Chad Jackson is going to be signed and he's going to "make Josh pay". He's going to catch 20 balls for 340 yards and 5 touchdowns without even getting his uniform dirty. I heard it from a reliable source ;)

The pessimist in me says Denver would be better off leaving Galloway open on every play since he's had stone hands and Brady clearly isn't happy with him. But I do think Galloway will be a factor by the end of the season. This is a really tricky offense to pick up; even Moss and Welker have touched upon that.

I've seen several people mention we should have kept Gaffney, but Gaffney had 11 catches in his first year in NE (in 11 games), and never broke 40 catches in a season despite playing all 16 regular season games in 2007 and 2008.

Galloway has only 7 catches in 3 games, but there have been more than a few times where he was wide open and Brady missed him. And there have definitely been some drops. Partly that's his comfort level with the system, and I think partly he's trying too hard to make up for past mistakes. I hope not, because that's not a good sign when trying to play on a BB team. You have to do your job, and forget about the last play and focus on the next one.

I'm disappointed in how rough it's been, but I don't think I'm ready to call it a failed experiment yet. Now that Brady's almost back to his old self, we'll be able to properly evaluate Galloway.

I hope he gets cut. Dropping passes thrown right to him and going out of bounds in the back of the end zone have NOTHING to do with "picking up the complicated offense".

One of the younger guys is going to have to step up in order to win this game. Whether that be offense or defense.

Nope, we have a top secret. Just before the game, Chad Jackson is going to be signed and he's going to "make Josh pay". He's going to catch 20 balls for 340 yards and 5 touchdowns without even getting his uniform dirty. I heard it from a reliable source ;)

There are several Chad Jackson rump swabs here who secretly get boners wishing that were true. None of them ever attended Patriots training camp and watched the interaction between Brady and Chad. Brady could not disguise his contempt for the guy.

Hear me out:

3) Which leaves us with Galloway probably drawing single coverage on the side opposite Moss. Joey's had 4 weeks of the regular season to digest the playbook and try to get on the same page with Brady. I also think the Patriots will be smarter, and use him to go vertical, and play more to Joey's strengths, rather than trying to make him an underneath receiver - which he isn't. By using Joey this way, any RB like Morris or Maroney who might stay in to block, can leak out into the short zone cleared by Galloway's vertical route. This strategy also plays to Maroney's strength of getting him out in space.

What do you think?

QB12

You think only McD knows this?

Only McD and posters on this board!

You think only McD knows this?

I thought last week would be a breakout game for Galloway, given Baltimore's vulnerable CBs. I thought there was an opportunity for Brady to go deep and use Galloway's speed. But he wasn't even on the 45 man roster. So much for that thought.

Let's see if he plays at Denver, first, before talking of breakout games.

I thought last week would be a breakout game for Galloway, given Baltimore's vulnerable CBs. I thought there was an opportunity for Brady to go deep and use Galloway's speed. But he wasn't even on the 45 man roster. So much for that thought.

Let's see if he plays at Denver, first, before talking of breakout games.

Denver's D has been questionable over the middle. I think that's where we'll exploit them, not in the deep game.

Here is the play I would run for Galloway. 3 WR left, Galloway right. Brady "hey Joey run as hard as you can down the right sideline and then juke towards the post in the endzone", and never throw him a blessed thing.

He doesn't "get it". He is never going to "get it" He'll be kept around in cases one of the top 3 WR's get hurt. He is hte worst major FA signing of the off season, BB can't always be right.

i think if galloway play's he will have a big breakout game he will get wide open all day VS denver and then he will see Brian Dawkins over the middle and drop the ball :eek:

I think he's got to get on the field first.

Seriously, how can the Pats make him a key piece to the game plan when he hasn't shown he can catch more than one ball per game? I would not feature him at this point, and I dobut the Pats would. He was inactive last week for cripes sake.

Denver's D has been questionable over the middle. I think that's where we'll exploit them, not in the deep game.

Galloway loves going over the middle.

Next to root canals, it's his favorite thing.

Galloway loves going over the middle.

Next to root canals, it's his favorite thing.

LMAO, yeah we saw how he responded to that hit against the Falcons. Fell like a sack of potatos. He heard foot steps and just completely F'd it up.

If you get Brady screaming in anger then you know you did wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back